utility trailer as brush hauler.

....favorite rental story, was renting a Bandit 9" w / Perkins Diesel quite a bit eventually became a tough starter, their way was to start it in the yard then drive to the job on state highway with unit RUNNING...even at idle with no clutch to the Disc ...probably illegal and an accident waiting to happen. Plus fuel consumption...My landlord at the time was a mechanic and we found the threaded contacts on the Solenoid / starter were loose, they are actually small studs that we turned in and tightened. Vibration had loosened them and the wizards at the rent it yard just jiggled wires got it going and sent you out, when I told them we found and fixed the ignition problem they did not care....made me even more determined to buy and service my own

I was in a rental place yesterday, enquiring about an excavator with a grapple. The one I normally use is tied up at a job elsewhere. With rentals they really nickel and dime you. The grapple is an added attachment, and they want to charge to bring it out from another place, and for installation, then to take it off. Almost $500 for the grapple alone just for a week, plus the delivery and install, and not counting the excavator. Certainly pays to have your own equipment.

This is how I rolled until I was able to afford a chipper.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/p9Hbxy3sQ_o?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/p9Hbxy3sQ_o?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
I paid $1000 bucks for the trailer, and put a little money into the plywood and hardware. It worked great while in use. I still use it for hauling wood...although it is way too easy to overload with wood. If you plan to only haul brush, something like this would suffice, but you should really get a 10-14k trailer if you plan to haul wood. I see them going for $1500-2500 all the time, and I would highly suggest a low trailer with a ramp. Couple that with a $50 dolly from harbor freight and you can move wood a lot faster than cutting firewood rounds.
1798050_10152231364944844_1976745102_n.jpg

Still using this method to haul wood til I can upgrade...I only pay as I go, so I have to be patient.

I started with that dolly/ hand truck, still have it. ruined those cheap rims again and again. Got a longer axle rod and some beefier HF tires/wheels.

Buy the hand truck a little tougher. Weld two 'horns' on the bottom plate that stick off at about a 45 degree angle. Mine are approx 2" x 5" x 1/4", welded half way on, so sticking 2.5" off. A little longer would be better. I will have to find a picture. This horn goes under a log, you use the handle of the dolly as a lever, and can lift and pivot the log at the center of gravity, and roll it out longways. I've moved logs that were a couple hundred pounds, long and thin, by myself, without ever lifting it off the ground by hand.

What will your brush dump be like? If you have a stationary object to hook a rope, you can cinch a rope around your pile (start with rope in bottom and don't cut it), hook up, and drive out from under it. The cinching narrows the brush as you try to pull out from under it.

A Loadhandler has its uses.

That log is wet redwood, heavy enough for its size. Easy to move solo without hardly working. There is foreshortening. I'd guess that at least 13'. I've put on a lot heavier, to the point where its hard to lever it up.

I'm surprised I don't need a gusset (yet) between the bottom plate and the tube handle.

You might try rope and jam cleats, and some small horns on top to keep the upper potion of the log centered (I have to remember next time I'm at my buddy's getting welding done).

I've also solo chokered 10-15+' fir limbs into bundles that I could barely load, then rolled them a long way, straight into the trailer.

Aside from logs, I guess these can also grab brush to some extent, but have never tried. The larger ones are best. Very good for moving railroad ties.

Attachments

• logosol_sawmills_accessories_forrestry-equipment_9212.jpg
    logosol_sawmills_accessories_forrestry-equipment_9212.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 102
Bought some Husky tongs for big brush butts and small logs. Never seen them used by a groundie. Just wait until their wrists start to hurt after some years. I try to avoid as much brush dragging as possible, in part through rolling, in part through groundies, or winching.

hey,
Im new to this forum. Ive been using a 5 ton dump trailer for the past year{super cam} load it with brush and dice up the brush once its in there. time consuming and dangerous. works fine if your not doing big jobs. Im now shopping around for a chipper and gonna use the trailer for wood only.
At the time it was what i could afford and its ok to start. but limited. its about 5 times slower doing it that way than having a chipper.

What will your brush dump be like? If you have a stationary object to hook a rope, you can cinch a rope around your pile (start with rope in bottom and don't cut it), hook up, and drive out from under it. The cinching narrows the brush as you try to pull out from under it.

+1 !!!!! The worst part about hauling brush has got to be unloading it (if you don't know this trick)

Back