utility trailer as brush hauler.

colin-roberts

Young Arborist
We are slowly getting started in the industry, have all the tree gear needed, insurance ect. We are not busy enough to justify a chipper or big chip truck. Wondering if anyone has used a utility trailer / dump trailer when they started out? any advice and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I started with just a pick-up, then added trailer, then chip truck, then chipper.

link to pic of trailer:

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=53648&stc=1&d=1393720476

I still only chip 2.5" or less dia. though I have a 6" chipper. Almost everything else goes toward heat for someone or campfire wood.

It can get very tiresome mulching up brush in a trailer (or a pick-up for that matter) to fit more in, but it'll get you by 'til a chipper would pay for itself, which doesn't take that much if you go small and used at first.
At 9k, I figure my chipper paid for itself in the first year easily.

I started off with a light duty, 6.5'x16' utility trailer. Then I bought a 7'x18' utility trailer, then a 7'x3'x16' dump trailer, now a 8'x4'x20' gooseneck dump trailer which is in the videos below.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/USlsAE1UMN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XBQDdnOXsjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nZF8ca4i-Gs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zjNFKoEGHjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mpvAtG3BNac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wTvlOfxFobs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For moving brush? If you are hauling brush, it makes so much difference if you have the ability to pack it in. To the extent that it almost seems pointless to haul without doing that. Most of what you will be hauling will be space between the brush, which amounts to a lot of lost time going back and forth between the job location and where you dump. There is a definite skill to moving brush wisely.

Use what you've got to get what you want.

"Use what you got and use it till it's used up"
I first started with a Jeep then 1/2 ton next and currently 3/4 ton then a 14' 14k dump trailer then a chipper then a f450 then an sc252(traded in) then a s800tx now a sc652 and most recently a 18' 10k beaver tail trailer.

Yes trailers are a good start, using them for a year or so makes you really appreciate and care for your chipper when you get it (which should be as soon as possible)
That articulated loader you have lumberjack is a absolute peach.

...I still use my trailer for brush on small jobs where it doesn't make sense to bring chipper...the big trick is chopping down the work as you load...

...I still use my trailer for brush on small jobs where it doesn't make sense to bring chipper...the big trick is chopping down the work as you load...

You will be cutting into the binds, so a strong and sharp saw is the way to go. Long slightly thick branches on the bottom to be able to use to pull out the load as it gets smaller and lighter.

Putting a rope under this pile, loading, then choking a running bowline at the bottom after putting around the load, attach the rope to a stationary point, and drive off, pulling out the load.

I've had 2000# in my 5x10' trailer where chipping was going to be a long drag, but the trailer was almost under the tree, up on a retaining wall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes plan was to use the trailer until its feasible to get a chipper, then keep the trailer for small jobs, or hauling rental machines eventually ect. Trying to avoid taking on unnneeded debt and grow smartly not fast.

You can rent a chipper, as needed, chipping into the trailer. I would think that a 6" machine as a starter would pay for itself quickly as compared to dump running if you have to pay for disposal. If you have to finance it, see what the payments are, compare it to rental costs. Its a piece of equipment that is readily in demand as it can be for small companies and property owners alike.

I found a chuck and duck for $2500. Needed $1000 into it, initially. Still running strong. Swivel/ telescopic chutes are hard to find, but great to have.

If we could find a chipper for cheap or one at all. With the recent storm in toronto everyone bought up most of them. gonna wait it out and when storm chasers get sick of the payments we will pick one up

You may find you have missed the boat, all those guys are out making money whilst you're waiting for a glut of cheap chippers that may never happen. Just saying like.

That being said, get a chipper from somewhere!

They may be two years before they go under. At the least, it will be post-storm.

Do you have any budget? Someone may know something.

Aw, let the lad cut his teeth stacking and hauling brush, it won't kill him. His profits may be down somewhat, but he'll get the pleasure from seeing a sea of green when he closes his eyes at night.

Aw, let the lad cut his teeth stacking and hauling brush, it won't kill him. His profits may be down somewhat, but he'll get the pleasure from seeing a sea of green when he closes his eyes at night.

Brush hauling should be a right of passage for a new tree guy. I'll venture a guess there is not one single tree guy who hasn't and if not they just haven't had the chance yet.

We have been looking in the US. As a new company we are trying to avoid going into debt until we get enough work to justify the cost of a chipper. I'd rather work harder for a bit and appreciate the chipper when it comes, payed for by the company not our second jobs.

...even before I had a trailer, I rented and rented...gave me chance to run several sizes and brands. I used to do all the technical work on several jobs staging all the chipper work if I had room...drive twenty five miles to rent machine , drive back back and chip like a madman ...

Back