Turning all your brushwwod into firewood

Heck, when I have to buy wood at the market for an outing a small bundle is $6 easy. I would happily pay $5-$10 for a bag of those little hunks of wood for a day's fire.

Yeah, it amazes me when I see those little shrink-wrapped bundles of 3-4 pieces of wood for sale at Lowe's/Kroger/etc. Seems almost a joke. Of course, I guess some folks just want a fire for a little while for dinner/etc. A person would spend a fortune trying to heat their home at that rate.

At those prices, I throw away a fortune in wood every year, too. I helped my dad split some big oak the other day that I brought home from a job some time ago. The hydraulic splitter sure makes dealing with 30" oak easier than a maul!

If it was just a little longer I think it would be more usable. That said its perfect for a smoker, fruit and nut wood bagged I bet would sell for $25-30 a bag

Treesmith, for me its for camping, when I go from Canada to the US, I cant take firewood, which I have a number of sources from tree guys locally. I am forced to pay $5-$10 per puny bundle at Safeway or at the ranger station at the state park. The exception apparently is that I can take milled lumber, so now I try to stock up on ends and stuff that I find at the lumber yard 'firewood' bins, a wheelbarrow full of 2x4 chunks etc can last me an evening, so at least the marshmallows and maybe a couple hot dogs can get roasted. :)

Bringing destructive insects/diseases into areas they don't exist yet. Speaking of bundled firewood, I'm getting into that this year. With the processor now, I want to capitolize on any aspect of firewood I can. I struck a deal last week with a large wood/pellet/coal stove dealer nearby for 2000 bundles of wood for next year. The owner gets overwhelming demand for bundled wood but has never been able to locate a vendor. I'll order a bundler in march and see how it land out. The gross will be $550 a cord on my end with roughly 3 hours invested per cord including delivery. I'm going to dabbled with it. Heck, I've even started selling chip trucks full if saw dust from the processor to a local farm. I guess saw dust can be tough to get a steady supply of around here.

I guess that makes some sense, but living out in the sticks as I do, I just think of firewood as firewood, no consideration for insects/diseases. The way I see it, you're bringing it to burn, and I would think that would kill any insects or disease borne in the wood.

My cousin owns the local hardware store. I ought to check with him about saran-wrapping a few sticks and just see if they'll sell.

Unless you got intercepted by a woodturner, who talked you out of some of it.

Richard has been bringing me wood from South Africa and Brazil( when He lived there) Twice he has been stopped in costums and had it all confiscated.

I thought it was bullshit, untill a piece of African Black Acacia suddenly erupted in larvaes.

They would not, of course, have had a chance to go forth, multiply and subdue the eath ,here, it is way too cold ( heck, Richard can only barely survive here:lol:) but it still made me think that maybe those rules are not so stupid.

Be careful with bundling firewood. Some states require you to have a permit to sell bundled wood and I'm not talking about a $100 dollar fine if you don't have it. Just food for thought.

I first thought the bags were a kind of open mesh so air could pass through, but it appears not. If the strength was sufficient, that would be a good way to allow the wood to dry quicker. Looking at the company's website, I couldn't figure out what currency they were showing the prices in.

Under CENIK in the menu.

http://www.stepkovac.com/

I could see those being used at a lumber mill where they have stacks of unusable ripped material from the initial cuts to square off the face of a log. You would have to push the wider pieces through a bandsaw first, but there can be a lot of wood in those cut offs, plus the bark will burn too.

They sell that bundled firewood every where and geeze is it costly if you figure it by the cord .Mostly it's drops from a hard wood mill .Basically there's not much else they can do with the stuff except chip it .

Now that stuff in a bag it's doubtful you could give it away in these parts .England -Europe it's probabley a different ball game .

Back when I sold firewood one lady had a free standing fire place and wanted less than 12" .I just went through a face cord and cut the stuff in half .No biggy .

Although the mesh bags might slow the process down a little, once they are in there they are already packaged for the consumer, right? Plus they are in a easy to handle by hand package. Pretty genius I would say.

They started and still suggest you don't haul firewood around .It still is published but it started in the eab thing .It was too late by the time they passed legislation to stop it though .Like I said before they never said one thing about moving saw logs .What would be the difference ?

None actually .In the case of the ash once it's dead the bugs are gone .Now I understand there's more floating around than just EAB so it's probabley not a bad idea .

Looks like a pretty easy mechanism to duplicate, if you were so inclined.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKq7JqYvdlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jay, they are definitely mesh bags.

OK, thanks, that makes sense. I can hot see people here eating those bags of wood up for their baths. Many are wood or oil fired, and most would prefer to use wood if obtaining it was easier. The hot water in wood fired is softer and more comfortable, so is often said.

Back