Trees in dumpsters

The most weight from a tree (brush and logs) I put in a 40 yard container was 15.5T (oak). One load I happened to weigh on my 24 yard dump trailer (whole tree) was 8.5T (pine).

Using containers was pretty handy for me, although I'm glad I haul my own stuff now.

If I have to remove lots of solid wood from a job, I'll rent a dumpster.
With the high firewood prices around here, I can always get someone to pay for the dumpster if they get the wood dumped at their house. Even if it is softwood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The most weight from a tree (brush and logs) I put in a 40 yard container was 15.5T (oak). One load I happened to weigh on my 24 yard dump trailer (whole tree) was 8.5T (pine).

Using containers was pretty handy for me, although I'm glad I haul my own stuff now.

Carl,

I realize it is hard to quantify but if we are talking normally structured mature front yard trees; how much can you fit in a 40 yd bin?

36" DBH Oaks/maples?

To fit the most in there you'll need a loader and a beating stick. Loading it by hand will greatly reduce your abilities to pack it out. It is also dependent on how straight the limbs are and how small and consistent you cut the "bundles" that you load. One benefit you have over my dump trailer is increased weight capacity, at least around here they'd haul it so long as they can get it on the truck. Given all that, a single stem 36" oak would be a tight fit in a 40 yard container, but it may or may not be doable. Loading it by hand would certainly make it a two box affair.

I did cut many times the brushes in the dumpster ( 10-12 yards roll off on a 3,5 tonnes trucks) before my buddy bought recently his chipper. It's a very cautious and dangerous work.
I hate it.
The volume reduction is amazing, but there are much more downsides.
It's very time consuming. The noise is awful, even with the hearing protectors. The air is full of nasty exhaust fumes. You cut just near your feet, in a very instable "ground".
I didn't had real kick back ( small stuff piled in only), but the chain gets jammed often, sending flying sticks straight on the fingers, or pushing away the saw in the metal sides.
It's very hard for the chainsaw too.
Full throttle all the time, with bad cooling, the saw eats big amounts of debris, clogging the sprocket and clutch area. It's all green material, the bar and chain are embedded with an hard sticky glue. The brushes were pulled on the ground, so they have abrasive dust on them and the sharpening doesn't last long (aside from the bangs in the side panels). The chain cutters pass continuously from a stick to an other and get a rocking movement, this slacks the chain and wears it very quickly (the bar too). Some chunks are taken by the cutters and driven against the dogs, throwing out the chain at full speed...

A bad way to save some money on the travels. But I admit that it's mandatory for a faraway job.

Bonner, I have some troubles to consider your plan. For a "one day in a week" job, overall if you are alone, I can't see how you could have enough time to wreck the (big) tree, retreat all the brushes and logs, load the giant pile of debris in the dumpster and clean up the yard.
I'm not the fastest treeman ( my buddy brags me enough on that), but it seems impossible for me.

I like mobile dumpsters, especially when the grapple is loading it for me!
I call this guy when there is enough room for the truck and he saves me a lot of time, money and fatigue.

castiglioni 004.jpg castiglioni 003.jpg

abeti 027.jpg

Back