Tree job. Career change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im home fellas. Got home round 430 and im started out at 15 hr.but I get my cdl and I get 2 bucks,the forman said climbers get tanking care of cause there not a dime a dpzen. Next week there sending me to other office to climb with I think he said 35yr vet. I did some pruning today, and got dropped off in a geunie lift at my TIP.. I thought f$$$ srt/drt/ropewalking. Lol. But anyway give me sometime and ill post pics. Thanks again four all the support y'all.

the only experience I really have is on my own. Does today have anything to do with it? Thanks for the reply.

If you lack experience in a tree, $15 an hour is fair in many markets. Nevermind the current pay rate. Look ahead. When starting as a full time climber, money is less important than finding a company that will take a risk on letting you go at it. Gain your wings, form a diverse, safe, and productive track record, then evaluate your financial standing and consider all options.

Excellent advice...gotta learn , some company has to invest in your training. Whether you stay long term or not the skills go with you once acquired.

Even if there isn't an upfront allowance, being your own gear. Make your boss some money and become productive. Then go back to table and ask for some help with acquiring some upgraded or improved gear. He had no clue if you will stick with the opportunity or make off with a pile of new stuff he bought you. Learn, advance, keep note of your progression, then sit down and ask him to invest more into you. He's actually making an investment already and truth be told, his return on investment is likely slim at the moment.

When I started climbing, I ran out and bought gear. I fumbled through some super easy stuff for my boss. I believed that suddenly I was worth a lot more. It took a few years to look back and realize that while I had loads of ambition, and a lot of knowledge from a lifetimes exposed to tree work, I wasn't jack shit for a cash cow when it came to beig in the tree itself. But he invested in me even without a pay increase. A lot of jobs bid for 2 hours, took 3-5 hours with me at the wheel. He was spending more money. It just wasn't going right into my hand. It was going into my future and the immediate future of his company as well. Both parties will have skin in the game. The intention is that both parties have a future gain though.

$15 for day 1 is a foot in the door, and an opportunity to learn from veteran climbers. Market dependent. I have paid more. West coast has some higher costs of living.

Build you skills. Have a pocket notebook and pen/ phone to write down things. Ask them, "What should I learn/ improve on next?"

Show them that you are serious, reliable, dependable, hard working, trainable, and interested in staying for a while if treated well. Go back to the table with your proven performance, specific improvements during your time, and ask what you can do to help the company.

Nicely said tucker, and southsound. They are def. taking a chance but the first day he seen me clime and told me I was trainable and I would do fine with time. Also told me "your going to climb more friggin' tree's in a month here then u have since u started climbing day one..." lol... Ill get my CDL soon so that is 2$ raise then he said I will climb with him and another vet and they will both refer me after a month to get a dollor or so more. Im lookin forward to getting after it next week. I really appreciate all the advice and the pay is ok I can substitue were I can to make up for it , im just looking at this as a awesome opportunity and a career move, I this tree work stuff its awesome ...:D

Great stuff ch74, but I hate to say I was paying greenhorn groundies $15 hr 10 years ago and they weren't allowed to run the saw.
Last year for the first time in about 7 years working solo I hired a chainsaw certified female groundie for about a week for a couple of monster trees and was paying her $20 hr and all she brought to work was her hard hat, workclothes and boots.

But for now get some experience and then you'll have some bargaining power under your belt for a better paid job......

Thank holem. Yea once I get a leg in the door and show them I can. Then ill ask. Trust me...

Thanks Merle. Im amped . Practiced today on gaffing out n only climbing with just a flip line n spike. It all started few years back with your post.( Beginner tree climbing.)

Be patient, be willing to take constructive correction, watch what's going on. Read, read, read.
Review your day with yourself, evaluate how you think you did and what you could have done differently or better.

Be firm on safety, don't compromise on helmets, ear and eye protection, cut protection when necessary. Don't be unnecessarily rushed or forced to rush. Be realistic with yourself and your present abilities, ask for help when you need it.
Eat and drink well, get enough sleep...

ENJOY IT!! :)

Fiona nailed it. Be realistic with yourself. It's easy to feel pressured by even something as small as a certain person watching you. Tree climber pride makes so many terrified at the very idea of admitting they don't know how to handle the next step or they are sick with fear over taking the next step in a particular situation. Do your best to bury your pride. I can tell you from experience that once you get a certain ways through a cut, there's no turning back. There's no eraser to wipe out what may happen. One can get far enough through a cut and see the err of their ways in motion and there's usually no turning back. Just have to watch in horror as the results play out.

Your pay would be in the ballpark around here. some start groundsmen at 16/hr and some at $10. Fifteen is about average for a climber in training, or one just starting and as yet unproven.

Good advice from all above. When you reach the point where smoothness and efficiency, and economy of motion get the job done faster and safer than depending on strength and froced speed you'll have arrived.

Waiting to hear how much you loved climbing for the day this fall:D

Back