Tree felling vids

Love the topping problem, I thought I was watching myself, 'cept with more cussin'. Nice video. I'd like to make a video, but I'd have to post it on the wall of shame.

Thanks guys... :lol: at shame...
Here are some stills from the job site to just give you some orientation of the logistics and the program. Also some pics for scale...

Attachments

• IMG_0290ed.jpg
    IMG_0290ed.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0291ed.JPG
    IMG_0291ed.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0292ed.JPG
    IMG_0292ed.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0293ed.JPG
    IMG_0293ed.JPG
    693.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0294ed.JPG
    IMG_0294ed.JPG
    785.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0296ed.JPG
    IMG_0296ed.JPG
    841.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0297ed.JPG
    IMG_0297ed.JPG
    706.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0300ed.JPG
    IMG_0300ed.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0303ed.JPG
    IMG_0303ed.JPG
    808 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0304ed.JPG
    IMG_0304ed.JPG
    603.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0306ed.JPG
    IMG_0306ed.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0310ed.JPG
    IMG_0310ed.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 63
Great, Stephen.
If I hadn't ended up staying in Denmark, swear to god, I'd have come work for you.
Love your area and the trees are really something.
Also, I have a feeling, you'd make a good boss to work for.

The fact we were not allowed to fell them into the creek habitat made it so MB. I was still able to fell a 90 foot spar though.. The top of the spar landed right below the neighbors house just this side of the property line.. Top broke into chunks across the rocks and could have easily punched a hole in the neighbors house had I fallen it up hill a bit.

Great, Stephen.
If I hadn't ended up staying in Denmark, swear to god, I'd have come work for you.
Love your area and the trees are really something.
Also, I have a feeling, you'd make a good boss to work for.
I would have probably talked Rob into taking on another partner in your case Stig. You would have brought a ton of logging/felling experience to the table.

I could watch your videos all day, Stephen. So much to observe and learn. The radio chatter adds a great dimension too.

I got nervous watching that ride, and I'm standing on a concrete pad! Can only imagine what it felt like at height.

Not that I would EVER put myself in that situation, but I'm sure my inexperience and my "wood failure paranoia" would have convinced me that the whole spar was going to snap! :O

Willie! Insane vid. You're new guy's awesome, and yet, has the decency not to overshadow the old man.

Stephen: Really great pines. Really great job. A little jealous at all the 150's you guys have gotten as of late.

Thanks, he's been with me over 2 years now but he's really become a solid climber, pretty rare he balks at a tree.
I slip out a trick from time to time that blows his mind, keeps him in check :D

Nice stuff going on there Stephen!

I can smell that Vanilla odor from here...like!

Pine tops are always a bit tricky to judge, wouldnt worry about it much, I know, ive been there..;) ;)

Thanks Scott and Jed.
I think I had it cut small enough... Just that stall as it fell really made her wobble. Rob really did try and let it run, his hands, even with gloves show the proof of that... gave him a little glazing it did... Pitch on the bollard is a dynamic I failed to keep on top of with the ground crew. Something I will certainly be more diligent about.

I usually bring a few ropes in case. Once we had trouble, and the wood got bigger, I switched it up from 1/2 to 9/16ths. If I were to have taken the tree down further by lowering, the 5/8ths with have been sent up next.

Very nicely done Stephen. :thumbup::)
I can see why the home owners were nervous, that trunk had a bit a bend.....

I agree with what was already said, love the chatter from the comms, gives a lot more "insight" for the viewer as to what's going on. :thumbup:;)

Ayuh, pitch on the rope ain't no fun when ya' wanna let it run. ;)

Thanks for posting that up, really enjoyed it.

Alex and I flopped this one recently...used his Kubota with a redirected block to pull it to the lay. An 80 foot pine, recently died...still had cones, good hinge wood. Homeowner video....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xtz14lp_GSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• Urbas tree reszd1.jpg
    Urbas tree reszd1.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Urbas tree reszd2.jpg
    Urbas tree reszd2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Urbas tree reszd3.jpg
    Urbas tree reszd3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Urbas tree reszd4.jpg
    Urbas tree reszd4.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Urbas tree reszd5.jpg
    Urbas tree reszd5.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Urbas tree reszd6.jpg
    Urbas tree reszd6.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Urbas tree reszd7.jpg
    Urbas tree reszd7.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 47
Good observation....I started the back cut and wanted to set a thick hinge initially so I could let the tractor ease it over some back lean it had. Then when I went to make the full back cut apparently the bar was too short. I thought I was making a full cut through the tree with a steadily decreasing hinge...did not realize I was leaving a post on the far side. The tree still went where we wanted but I'm sure that could have been a problem with some trees.

What do you think? Should I have set the hinge thickness at first by boring parallel to the face cut and maybe 4 inches behind the face...then cut out towards the back, away from the face? That would have at least let me know whether my bar was too short in the beginning.

Gary I wouldn't have done that boring in thing you mention on a pull tree. You always should be checking your offside when making the back cut unless you are really confident in your ability to gun it straight. You also should know whether your bar fully reaches across the back cut and if there's any doubt of it, cut in or 'around' on the far side first and either set your offside hinge thickness or atleast be advancing it first and then finishing up on the inside(side your on). Imo you got pretty lucky there as the offside that wasn't back cut looks rotten otherwise it could/would've most certainly affected the lay. The back cut looks way high to me and the hinge a little shallow too. Don't bother sending the .02 for my armchair review. Lol.

Also the angle of your backcut on the part of the hinge it was cutting through looks as though you would've cut the far side off or way thinner than your inside if you had in fact had a longer bar. If uncertain, stop and look at the offside.

You also should know whether your bar fully reaches across the back cut and if there's any doubt of it, cut in or 'around' on the far side first and either set your offside hinge thickness or at least be advancing it first and then finishing up on the inside(side your on).

hahaha..$.02 sent via PayPal. Appreciate the input from folks that have cut a lot more trees than I have. I should have walked the hinge thru from the far side like you suggest. I have a 20 inch bar and thought it was all the way thru...looks like I needed 24" or so on this tree.

I got away with this one...I'll watch the far side a lot closer from now on. As Burnham said....confidence is the feeling we often get just before we fully understand the situation.

Back