Tree felling vids

Love the smooth cuts and accurate cable tension Reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. The slinging/positioning part of crane work is what its about....the cutting not so critical if you get the first part right. I got a ton of that stuff on vid but there's only so much you can watch without it looking the same.

Butch I got some good pics etc over the first 5 years in the job then nothing for about 12 years. Thereafter I started taking videos and pictures again.

Thanks. The slinging/positioning part of crane work is what its about....the cutting not so critical if you get the first part right. I got a ton of that stuff on vid but there's only so much you can watch without it looking the same.

Butch I got some good pics etc over the first 5 years in the job then nothing for about 12 years. Thereafter I started taking videos and pictures again.

I've seen a lot of guys who didn't know which side to cut from or thought that they needed to cut from both sides. The most common thing I've seen though is they over tension the load prior to the cut due to a lack of familiarity with weights and tensions, both with and without a computerized scale readout.

Wow, great work and very smooth. :thumbup::)
Working with a crane is on my bucket list..... ;)

Here's one I did a couple weeks back..... nothing like the stuff you guys are doing, but a good challenge for me. ;)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LUcHkiBzCUs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've seen a lot of guys who didn't know which side to cut from or thought that they needed to cut from both sides. The most common thing I've seen though is they over tension the load prior to the cut due to a lack of familiarity with weights and tensions, both with and without a computerized scale readout.

some people have funny ideas alright. I don't know if its over thinking or not enough. You don't wanna go crazy preloading stuff, unless there's a lot if deflection in the particular crane or depending on the angle and extent of the boom. But ideally you only want the pick to separate, not fly up in the air. Crane work is quite intuitive though I believe. Some people get the feel of it right away while for others it takes a lot longer. Good slinging though, is the key to less movement and easier cutting. The oak tree that Brian posted was a little tricky because if the orientation of the limbs....that was a long day.

owner of the Sutton Crane hire. He was never texting, but always in a a rush to be somewhere else, Noticeably quicker, and on his A game the best Ive ever worked with.

Ha, I love it. Owners working always have lots on their minds.

Reg: Man you guys have some pigs over there. Especially the Beaches. Looks like Lombardies suck in every country. Man, what kind of Poplar was that spread-out pig? Oh, to have a 200t again with some new seals. Why'd you head out to Vancouver? You must have been craving what we call the "Straight Up and Downs." (Firpigs etc.)

Randy: well done again.

Rarely see it done elsewhere, but I think it is a simple and good trick to have with crane picks where applicable. Having a long enough sling or cable that you can throw it around the limb or trunk (at a branch union if possible) and over itself once, then choke it off down below with a clevis or whatever. It gives two attachment points with the one line. Some extra guard against slipping bark and adds some stability to the load, less tendency to twist so much. I know some guys that do it as a matter of course. I see it as a useful idea if you don't mind the extra minute or two to arrange it.

I'm not sure what are referred to as "spider legs", Cory, but I'm talking about one line only, with two places grabbing the tree. What's it called when you put a line around something and then over itself for a bite? That's on top, then fastened with a clevis below or start off from below and attach via a spliced eye....whatever, then do the bite above and attach to the hook. Adds a measure of security. The whle thing generally pulls up tight, at least with a cable, no sling user here very often. The greater the separation between upper bite and choke below, the better, but no need to kill yourself over it. :)

I'm talking about one line only, with two places grabbing the tree. What's it called when you put a line around something and then over itself for a bite?

I would call that a marl. Yes, definitely a good technique.

Reg: Man you guys have some pigs over there. Especially the Beaches. Looks like Lombardies suck in every country. Man, what kind of Poplar was that spread-out pig? Oh, to have a 200t again with some new seals. Why'd you head out to Vancouver? You must have been craving what we call the "Straight Up and Downs." (Firpigs etc.)

Randy: well done again.

Jed we moved away because it was just, time. There’s lots of good stuff in the UK....beautiful and diverse landscapes, architecture, History, depth, culture and plenty cool people there too. But it was time to move on, for us at least.

Victorias a very laid back city. The safest Ive lived in. Beautiful scenery, ocean on 3 sides, nice climate. If you can make a living here, just find your niche, theres a lot to smile about. Not everyone sees it that way, but it suits us.

That was just a black poplar, not sure what variety. There’s still some big ones scattered about here and there.

Yeah lombardys are lombardys the world over. We actually craned out a big one here in Victoria a couple of years ago. Simple tree but the wind was savage on the day. But the crane was booked as well as the road block. Luck of the draw.

DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0104.JPG DSC_0428.JPG DSC_0484.JPG DSC_0572.JPG DSC_0756.JPG DSC_0850.JPG

Here's a Spruce I took down Monday. Could've easily flopped it but the home owner said "no lawn damage".
Besides, it was a great excuse to try my first ever time lapse video. Sorry, no sound. I was in a hurry to upload it..... ;)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iy4LL8TOmfI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back