Tree felling vids

Somebody with more felling experience than me needs to explain this...a method to make the tree deflect to one side of the stump?

What are the slopes all about?

How's about that aluminum spring board?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/otRRjAJZ-qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or is that vertical blade supposed to act as a guide...I see the gunning sticks being used. Maybe the blade helps guide the spar?

At 1:22 - 1:25 you can see him crafting the blade.

It's done to "create barriers to stop holding rockfall and snow avalanches?" I sure wish I understood what he was saying!

Maybe to help get hard downhill leaners to go sideways?

Im seeing as sort of a guide to help the stump slip and stay on top of the stump hillside. Looks like for erosion stabilization, or falling debris protection after felled.

The cut seems to be a wall of sorts that the tree can slide against when falling through a canopy.

Here's a couple I dropped the day after Christmas.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yF1QUIWfYQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy
Great vid, nice work. One thing I did notice was how long it took you to pull the last tree down. I suggest a Z-Rig I use mine daily and is very simple, fast to set-up and very effective. They are very simple in set-up all you need are two pulleys, a prussic or two(depending on what your doing), and your pull line and wha laaa. Here is a pick of the basic idea, I think OLDFART has a youtube video that goes into more detail on different configurations. Just my 2cents.
Z-Rig.jpg
Cheers
Ben
Bushwacker Tree

Gary, they are doing the opposite of stump shot.
Purposely making the tree run backwards off the stump. The vertical "blade" is to make sure it stays on the uphill side of the stump, or it'll be useless as an avalance barrier.
Going up for a hike in the Berner alps yesterday, I passed several ares where trees had been felled across slopes for that purpose.

BTW, this was done by trained professionals, do not attemt this at home:lol:

OK..if you say so...I will just view it from afar. But I was thinking of making that my signature stump so that folks would know where I had been. :lol:

Thanks for the explanation...pretty sophisticated cutting it seems.

Randy
Great vid, nice work. One thing I did notice was how long it took you to pull the last tree down. I suggest a Z-Rig I use mine daily and is very simple, fast to set-up and very effective. They are very simple in set-up all you need are two pulleys, a prussic or two(depending on what your doing), and your pull line and wha laaa. Here is a pick of the basic idea, I think OLDFART has a youtube video that goes into more detail on different configurations. Just my 2cents.
View attachment 52142
Cheers
Ben
Bushwacker Tree

Thanks Ben,
I know I've never used that kind of set up, and I don't think I've seen it before, but then again "I don't get out much". :|:;)
I understand the mechanical advantage, looks like a nice set up. I'll definitely take a look at the video, I think I
already have the gear to make that set up right now. :D
Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Randy

Joe having the pulley on a prussik lets you go get more pull if need be. Prussik 2 keeps tension and you can just slide prussik 1 up and keep yankin'.

Randy
View attachment 52142
Cheers
Ben
Bushwacker Tree
Thanks Ben,
I know I've never used that kind of set up, and I don't think I've seen it before, but then again "I don't get out much". :|:;)
I understand the mechanical advantage, looks like a nice set up. I'll definitely take a look at the video, I think I
already have the gear to make that set up right now. :D
Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Randy

Ben,
I found a few good videos on Z rig set ups, couldn't track down anything from "OLDFART"..... :?
Do you ever find that you're limited to what you can pull over with that set up?
Also, what do you find works best for the prussics? How many wraps, what size cordage?
Thanks again,
Randy

Found this from Tom Hoffman, pretty good stuff.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5xLmBFG82DQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy
As for the limit yes as it is only a 3:1 ratio but if I have a heavy leaner I will run my 5:1 B&T behind the Z-Rig so I can start the pull with the 5:1 and finish the pull with the 3:1, I like it because its simple, easy to use, quick to set-up and the pull is as fast as you can pull. As for prusiks I use Sterling RIT loops but I have used tenex, beeline and Ice tail with good results. I have a dedicated 1/2" stable braid line I use for my kit but I think old climbing line would also work good to. As for wraps 3 to 4 is plenty. Play around with it a bit and see what you like and build from there, its uses are as open as your thinking will allow it. I will try to get some pics of it set-up by it self and running together with the B&T.

Cheers
Ben

Ben,
I really appreciate you sharing all that information. :D
My situation right now(good or bad)is most all of the work I do is just me, so anything I can do to make it easier/safer will be great.
Watching some of these videos on Z rig/U rig setups I'm seeing and understanding the principles being used and how they are applied.

Thanks again,
Randy

Ben,
I really appreciate you sharing all that information. :D
My situation right now(good or bad)is most all of the work I do is just me, so anything I can do to make it easier/safer will be great.
Watching some of these videos on Z rig/U rig setups I'm seeing and understanding the principles being used and how they are applied.

Thanks again,
Randy

Little job from today. I had topped this dead oak out a couple of years ago, and due to where it was, the owner said to just leave the spar. He began to get worried about it not long ago, so asked me could it be gotten down safely. House, porch, propane tank, and AC unit surrounded it on all four sides. House roof was about 2' away...porch roof about 1' away. Propane tank 6' to rear and AC about 6' to the side. I set a high line above it and used a trolley to raise the chunks up and roll them out. I was going to film the whole job, but had some difficulties with the camera, but got a little footage.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/39bNoBHDMas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks! It would have gone a LOT smoother had all the rigging worked properly. I had a prussik set up to capture/hold the load line, so that it could be rolled out to the far end of the house. On the first four, the new cord I was using refused to hold to my satisfaction. I wasn't interested in it slipping just as the piece got over the porch and smashing it. Sooo...the first four chunks had to come toward the GRCS. After that I got the wraps right and it started grabbing correctly. I also had a remote release line so I could lower the pieces without having to sag the tight line....but it wouldn't work with a 500# chunk hanging in the line. I shall endeavor to perfect the release before the next job like this.

Back