Tree felling vids

Thats fine mate. I wasn't picking, the majority of guys on here know the score just didn't want some less experienced lads trying it without realising the potential.

Good to hear your back cutting.

Thanks, and yes, back to cutting today. Put 5 trees safely on the ground. Four were "easy", one was a "bear".....
Sure feels good to be back in the trees!

I love to see people use natural crotching to lower limbs. Good old school knowledge. For most trims and small removals it's way faster that setting up all the rigging to accomplish the same result.

Yes sir! Fast and efficient, no fuss, no muss! It's just me doing the work, sometimes the home owner is willing to help "a bit", so it allows me to get the work done with someone who has little to no experience.
Thanks again Gerry for making those DVD's, I'm still watching them and learning more each time.

Oh, and sharpen up that chain, too!

Ayuh, I did(needed to)sharpen the chain after that job........

Its not too often I lower off of a block. I do it. But for light to moderate rigging, I rig off a crotch. Most often I runs soft lay 3 strand nowadays too.

Let the flaming begin.

Ok I'll start: don't you hate the hockling of 3 strand? IMO, life is too short to use 3 strand as a lowering line, given all the fine braided choices available and all the retired braided climb lines you have laying around that you could use instead of 3 strand.

C'mon man!;)

Cory, I do a ton of rigging off of HI-Vee typicaally. Im on a 3 strand kick because I have a long one that lets me get creative with the extra length (multiple crotches). My 1/2" 12 strand lines seem to be shrinking in length lately. Must have trimmed too many nicked ends off of them. Im not ordering new ropes this year. Its past mid October.

Tucker, I also am a NC guy, I got some Forestry pro rigging rope, 1/2 inch, it lasts a long time and takes some abuse. The block will come out in a big removal, and of course rigging wood.

I also like that One Handed Runnin' Bowline! hahahaha good stuff

Thanks.
It's not like I was in a position that I had to use one hand, I just wanted to see if I could get it done "on camera" in reasonable amount of time. :P
And it is a good skill to have if I ever really need it..... ;)
Besides, I was inspired by "someone else" who posted a video of tying a one handed running bowline..... :thumbup::D

Thanks.
It's not like I was in a position that I had to use one hand, I just wanted to see if I could get it done "on camera" in reasonable amount of time. :P
And it is a good skill to have if I ever really need it..... ;)
Besides, I was inspired by "someone else" who posted a video of tying a one handed running bowline..... :thumbup::D

"someone else" ;)

This is interesting..I'll be curious to hear comments:

at 2:00 as the instructor is placing wedges a tree about 20- 30 feet away falls without anyone near it. Apparently it had been cut to fell and then left to fall on its own?

And at 2:30 he makes some kind of stepped up bore cut for a center wedge

at 4:10 he make an even higher bore cut for another wedge at the side of the back cut area

The observers are only about 10 feet away...so much for being 2 spar lengths from the tree.

He buries the wedges, gets ready to place another and the tree finally goes over.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vAXgWxQmegk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watch this guy...who needs a long rope?

He hooked a long (bamboo?) pole to set his pull on the tree..seemed to have a rope attached to the pole:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NocRPZbPVdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is interesting..I'll be curious to hear comments:

at 2:00 as the instructor is placing wedges a tree about 20- 30 feet away falls without anyone near it. Apparently it had been cut to fell and then left to fall on its own?

And at 2:30 he makes some kind of stepped up bore cut for a center wedge

at 4:10 he make an even higher bore cut for another wedge at the side of the back cut area

The observers are only about 10 feet away...so much for being 2 spar lengths from the tree.

He buries the wedges, gets ready to place another and the tree finally goes over.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vAXgWxQmegk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unusual variation of the danish cut (the extra small 2nd cut is new to me & completely unnecessary IMO ).

It does work quite well on small trees, where setting wedges can be troublesome. Still, it's all short bar euro style sorcery don't ya know :/::lol:

I think the first guy was trying to lose weight, and the way he tosses around his tools, he looks pissed of with it too.

Back