Tree felling vids

Why did you drop the limbs that would have helped pull the tree over? Orrrrrrr,

Why didn't you just remove those last limbs instead of all the pulling drama?

Top had to come out of the tree to fit on the DZ.. no way to take the top out without taking out the lower limbs first.. Wouldn't have kept them even if I could.. they'd have poked the ground up and left the rest sticking up who know how high..

I'll undercut the lawn pokers so the tree will collapse on itself, but mostly I'd just remove the limbs and toss the snag.

Daniel: Can't believe I'm saying this, but really, really well done man. The boys'll probably ban me from the house, but I gotta say, yer the man. I'da never tried any of that--o.k. the 90 degree "retainer line" trick, I've utilized with wide success, but, yah, man, I'd of said it was impossible to "jump" tops that far. I'da just done rather conventional removals. Can't believe you can pull that stuff off. Hey man, aren't you scared the little True Blue line's gonna break? For me there'd just be way too many variables to try stuff like that: traction and pull-rate of the vehicle, line breakage, ect. You done it though.... Well done man. My heart-rate during the whole process wld have got a bit high. Still... gotta love the rush. Yer a man after my own heart.

Butch: I gotta remember that "undercut the limbs trick before you fall it." Could'a used it today.... Instead, I got some dinged-up turf. :|:

Daniel: Can't believe I'm saying this, but really, really well done man. The boys'll probably ban me from the house, but I gotta say, yer the man. I'da never tried any of that--o.k. the 90 degree "retainer line" trick, I've utilized with wide success, but, yah, man, I'd of said it was impossible to "jump" tops that far. I'da just done rather conventional removals. Can't believe you can pull that stuff off. Hey man, aren't you scared the little True Blue line's gonna break? For me there'd just be way too many variables to try stuff like that: traction and pull-rate of the vehicle, line breakage, ect. You done it though.... Well done man. My heart-rate during the whole process wld have got a bit high. Still... gotta love the rush. Yer a man after my own heart.

Butch: I gotta remember that "undercut the limbs trick before you fall it." Could'a used it today.... Instead, I got some dinged-up turf. :|:

You've got balls Jed!

Ha! Befriending the Murph is harder on your reputation than farting in church! God knows I've done the second one plenty of times. Maybe now I've done the first as well.

Actually I think that there cld be a ton of cultural differences in there as well: My new foreman is from Nazareth, Pennsylvania, and, at first he came off as arrogant in the extreme. At length, I've had to admit that he knows his stuff though--in broad limbs that is. In any conifer removal, we've got him licked and then some. :P

I think in tree work, reputations are mostly earned, it isn't like some other trades where it can be done with smoke and mirrors. Have no fear, Jed, once you have it, it isn't so easy to lose it. Don't drink too much. :)

We don't do a lot of big conifer removals or even much pruning.... That's not the game here.. I've often looked at the posts and teachings on the net and elsewhere and noticed a big difference in techniques, styles and perspectives, particularly between those of us that work on east coast hardwoods and the PNW types that work mostly on big old conifers... often with highly talented and skilled individuals so into their own "thing" that they miss seeing the merits of other styles and perspectives, which are dictated by the type of trees we work in, and to some extent the topography and other differences, like working residential vs rural/woods, how much it costs to get wood to the mill, etc.....

I was hoping to get some feedback from the "falling masters" and generate some discussion about that elm cut.. that was a fairly unique hinge, which I thought well suited for the drop.. Though the hinge worked well, the bar tip did get pinched for a couple seconds as the tree started moving. Fortunately no damage done, but certainly could have bent the bar if I was much further through on the far side of the cut. I'd like to avoid that in the future. That was one of the rare trees that I wanted to cut as the pull line was getting tensioned, rather than setting up the hinge before calling for the pull. Someone at AS called it a "hillbilly dutchman" ... what do you think?

Lordy, 'fessing up to your customer that you want to do a risky cut just to say 'boo yah' on the internet is just SOOOO professional...outcome be damned, that was not comfortable to watch.

its more than that Bermy...
America is the land of creativity.. and I like to get creative when figuring out solutions to difficult tree situations... The only way to find out if a given solution will actually work is to try it... I was laying in bed the night before thinking about the job.. weighing the pros and cons ... going over and over how would I make the cut, how would I set up the rigging, protect the lawn... etc.. After all that I wanted to try it, cause I was pretty sure it would work... If I had taken the no risk conservative route, it would have always bothered me... cause I never would have known if my idea would have worked.. I don't want that regret... So really finding out if it could be done was more interesting than "showing off" on the internet.. That's just the icing...

The only way to find out what is possible is to push the limits... hopefully in a "controlled" manner... with a minimal downside.. Even if the plan failed, the hedge would have recovered. And those aren't strangers.. I've worked for them for 15+ years... went to school with his son, he went to college with my parents and knew my grandfather well. And she's been a friend and adviser to my family for years.

In the end it all worked, they felt glad to be a part of the success, I learned a lot and will throw big tops with confidence now.. other arbs around the world can take whatever they want from it, even if its just saying this guy is crazy... if that's how they get their kicks.. IT'S ALL GOOD!

Yeah, it's a weird thing amongst tree-guys. My foreman and I were just talking about this, this morning. 90% of all tree-guys have heads that are so big, and so hard, that we have a super hard time admitting that the guys who do stuff different from us cld ever be right.

As to your Elm hinge. (We're friends now right?) :D No man, I mean, the bottom line is you dead-centered your lay, and my hat's off to ya, and let me preface this by saying that I am a card-carrying Wanna-Be Faller type and by no means have even come close to earning the rank of considering myself amongst the faller types.

Here is what I think the PNW "Faller Types" wld say. "You completely cut-off yer far-corner!" O.k. back to me again. You explained in your video that you made a deep undercut to shift the center of gravity toward the lay, but how cld this matter since you have a pull-rope? The benefit of having a deep undercut wld merely be to extend the LENGTH of hingewood slightly. But you inadvertently negated this advantage by totally severing your compression corner, thereby "stacking-up" far too much compression on the middle of your hinge while incidentally compounding unnecessary tension on your tension side. Does that make any sense? I believe that all of this comes from over-rating the minimal gains of a "staggered-hinge" during the cutting process. Yes, the higher corner on the tension side will help some. Yes the increased width of holding-wood on the tension side will help some. But, in my humble opinion, any advantages that you wld have gained having implemented these techniques were greatly minimized do to your inadvertent severing of valuable compression-distribution surface on your "far-corner."

Make any sense at all? Still... you da man. O.k? Hit your lay. Bottom line. Well-done. O.K? Friends still? Hey man, look at how long this post is. I obviously need a friend right now eh? Jay's cutting me off for drinking too much.

Jay: How'd you know? Was it all the red-neck jargon in my last post to Murph? :lol:

Whateverrrr...

Ya right... nothing like its ever been shown on youtube.. most wouldn't even think it was possible.. I show it not once, but twice.. throwing BIG tops LONG distances, laying them out flat perfectly placed on the padding logs... And all you have to say is "Whatever"...

So whatever whatever baby!

Yeah, it's a weird thing amongst tree-guys. My foreman and I were just talking about this, this morning. 90% of all tree-guys have heads that are so big, and so hard, that we have a super hard time admitting that the guys who do stuff different from us cld ever be right.

As to your Elm hinge. (We're friends now right?) :D No man, I mean, the bottom line is you dead-centered your lay, and my hat's off to ya, and let me preface this by saying that I am a card-carrying Wanna-Be Faller type and by no means have even come close to earning the rank of considering myself amongst the faller types.

Here is what I think the PNW "Faller Types" wld say. "You completely cut-off yer far-corner!" O.k. back to me again. You explained in your video that you made a deep undercut to shift the center of gravity toward the lay, but how cld this matter since you have a pull-rope? The benefit of having a deep undercut wld merely be to extend the LENGTH of hingewood slightly. But you inadvertently negated this advantage by totally severing your compression corner, thereby "stacking-up" far too much compression on the middle of your hinge while incidentally compounding unnecessary tension on your tension side. Does that make any sense? I believe that all of this comes from over-rating the minimal gains of a "staggered-hinge" during the cutting process. Yes, the higher corner on the tension side will help some. Yes the increased width of holding-wood on the tension side will help some. But, in my humble opinion, any advantages that you wld have gained having implemented these techniques were greatly minimized do to your inadvertent severing of valuable compression-distribution surface on your "far-corner."

Make any sense at all? Still... you da man. O.k? Hit your lay. Bottom line. Well-done. O.K? Friends still? Hey man, look at how long this post is. I obviously need a friend right now eh? Jay's cutting me off for drinking too much.

Jay: How'd you know? Was it all the red-neck jargon in my last post to Murph? :lol:

THose are good points Jed..
In re-thinking that hinge, I'd have plunged in from the compression side with a short bar... 16" 200T, making a real thin hinge there, maybe 1-2", then finished by plunging from the tension side with a 20-28" bar, leaving the hinge much thicker, and perhaps gut the hinge too.. no one really knows for sure how "good or bad" it to entirely remove the compression side of a hinge, BUT it sure did pinch the bar...

murphy4trees;544721 I was hoping to get some feedback from the "falling masters" and generate some discussion about that elm cut.. that was a fairly unique hinge said:
Do you really think any of us have the time to spare to watch your silly, self promoting videos?

Think again.

There are people on this forum that I can learn from, or sometimes be awed by.
Their videos I watch, avidly.

Murph your worse than the kettle calling the pot black. The route of your ignorance is the fact that you may hear what others say, you are incapable of LISTENING !

Back