Tree felling vids

Protocol here is : " Run, Forest, run!!!!"

Just get the hell out of Dodge when it goes.

When I start clearing an escape path before falling a tree, my apprentices know, some heavy shit is going to come down.

I’ve only done small stuff, but I’ve found that it’ll always go sideways (depending on pressure on the broken top) you just have to work out which way it wants to go.

Hey Gyp, good to read ya again. Post some pics of whatever!

Thanks Cory.

We're cutting right a way right now, full manufacture, second growth, kinda boring to me to look at.

We're also climbing and girdling tops for the blm. So nothing that's neat to watch, imo. Lotsa traversing with the grapple hook I guess.

Probably just as good as any place to ask. When gutting the hinge, is there any formula on how much to take or leave? Assume brittle green eucalyptus. Thanks
I have no formal formula. And zero experience with euc of any stripe :).

I like to keep a good 20 to 25 percent of the width of the hinge on each end...so that leaves 50 t0 60 percent to gut out. But I've gone with less left on the ends...and I don't think very much more.

When I've used less, it's been for pulling over by hand a shortish spar that's been limbed and topped.

I have no formal formula. And zero experience with euc of any stripe :).

I like to keep a good 20 to 25 percent of the width of the hinge on each end...so that leaves 50 t0 60 percent to gut out. But I've gone with less left on the ends...and I don't think very much more.

When I've used less, it's been for pulling over by hand a shortish spar that's been limbed and topped.
Thanks

Closest thing I can think of would be madrone, but I think it’s longer grained and more prone to chair. Maybe maple or something.

I had a theory that thicker held longer but when I made this compilation it occurred to me that the ones that seemed to hold longer were 80’ trees(winched slow fallers) , and the rest were spars. I still want to try thick and gutted, gap face, low back cut, but I’ll probably be cutting dead oak in the mountains first.

Back