Time Lapse Tree Work

Unlike in my avatar, usually no becket here, just a collar, but it still seems workable to have something welded on. I'm going to suggest it. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We dont seem to do big removals without the crane. I think they just bid them really high.

That tree removal was paid for out of a 'settlement' thing we are working on for some people that killed a lot of trees. It was billed at Time and Material rate. We traveled 2 hours from the shop to go do that, had to take 4 trucks. Chips, plywood, soil, and one to put stump grindings in. These jobs have a ton of procedure and the debris all has to go somewhere specific.

Why did you climb up part way a couple times and then have the crane lift you further, instead of having the crane lift you from the last cut?

We've gotten into the habit of having two tie off points when taking spreading limb picks, usually two long ropes hanging from the hook with or without shackles on the bottoms. Two points of attachment makes for a better balanced load, and will keep things from tipping or spinning and such. One rope going around the upper point of attachment and looping over itself, then attached at a lower point, will help stabilize as well. With two ropes doing that, you basically have four points of attachment. A little more time invested, but the payoff is smoothness with a degree of added safety. Perhaps a method to use if you are unsure of the balance or expect possible undesirable movement when the pick leaves the cut.

I would have tied into the back, makes for easier work positioning not to mention helping you get into place quicker. Looked like a pretty easy removal, I wondered why the crane also. Do you guys locate stumps ahead of time or just grind without it? It's law here but few of us do it. Usually have to go back a few days later to grind.

My office never grinds stumps, if we do its with a rental. We sub it all out to some old, old, old guy. We only ground that one because its one of those special removals. Thats the first time we ever ground a stump day of the removal.

There was definitely room to flop the whole tree, which is what I would have done personally. Like I said, they seem to lean towards the crane whenever possible. That crane, 30 ton, costs us $135/hour. It was an easy removal, 5 picks or whatnot, but it was a good one to start on.

Nice work Nick.

Why so much dependance on having the crane position you? Tying into the crane seems pointless and unnecessary on a little tree like that. Nice job nonetheless.

Here is a clip of a rope controlled flop. Complete with free youtube music.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TwuzTG26uQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A time lapse example of a rope controlled tree felling. The first tree was brushed out on spurs then used as a rigging point. Afterwards the first spar was fallen into an area where it could not have been dropped with the brush on it.

A GRCS was used to do the initial pulling with an additional rope on a Port-A-Wrap. As it is being lowered a come along was used to pull the tree away from the house and the save tree in the middle of the yard.

The rope seen on the right at a 45 degree angle is a climbing line that was left in just in case.

I arranged the jets just for show.

Nice work Nick.

Why so much dependance on having the crane position you? Tying into the crane seems pointless and unnecessary on a little tree like that. Nice job nonetheless.

That was my first crane job. I tried to beat the ball, but a few times I asnt sure where to go and the Op picked me up. If you look a few times i got ahead of it. I did retie into the ball to descend but I think I did that just to have a higher TIP as I went down.

I got the wide angle lens for my TLC200 timelapse camera from Meg for Christmas.

Here is a really nice shot, sped up to 9000% (only 1:30) and paired with some nice violin music. I really like this one!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3JYOjUMrPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of the climbers (me) is using the HitchHiker and the other is on a standard DRT setup. The last 2 out of 3 ascents use the Wraptor and the first was a hip thrust.

I had to watch it 2.5 times just to focus on each guy.

I sped it up a lot to get it to a shorter view. Still boring?

Here is a fun one, Arbor Reconstruction. When a home owner feels removal-remorse they call the real professionals to make it right.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qRG7yQoHFrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back