Throwline Tarp

lxskllr

Treehouser
I was using my old throwline bag today(an orange trick or treat bag), and thinking how much it sucks. Not nearly as good as my makeup bag :^D It's good enough for my work climb system, but I was thinking of maybe making something better. It occurred to me a big round tarp might work pretty good. Cut a big circle out of a regular tarp, fold the edges over, and install grommets around the perimeter. Run paracord through the grommets, and it could be cinched up like a bag. When you're ready to work, pull it apart and lay it on the ground. Easy to flake line on, and when you're done, pull the cord to bring it all together. Sound like a good idea?

I was almost gonna sew up one myself because my cube is dead/ dying. I was thinking weighted corners even. I know they sell them premade too

I had Robs mom make one. Hated it.
Cube works best IMO.
If you need a place to flake line, carry a small cheap tarp.
I use tub and bucket lids. Or walk the line out.
I have lids because i store rope in buckets and tubs. Convenient enough as i am usually pulling the rope out of them up a tree. Or just pull the lid out of the back of the truck.
Now, if you want a nifty tarp, get one for your climb rope. Been using this of late.
Northern Seams Rope Tarp. Love it
bag107-500.jpg

I would imagine a circular tarp with grommets around like the one above would be horrible for throw line. Once flaked onto whatever it must not move compared to the rest of the line. Faltimer does this when you first collapse the cube as the sides compress the stack thus keeping it stationary folding still doesn’t really jiggle it up.. a circular tarp when pulled together would move all the line. Maybe just a flat tarp that you lay another fabric over and roll up??

These products have been on the market for decades, peeps. Why we treeclimbers in particular seem to feel the need to reinvent the wheel never has been something I could understand :).

Look to other vert. rope disciples...save yourself a lot of trouble. Cavers and rock climbers have had this sort of stuff nailed for many a year.

Do any other rope disciplines use throwlines other than heaving lines on boats? I love my cube, it's just almost done....

You make a decent point, Kyle. But rope tarps can serve lifelines, rigging lines, and throw lines equally as well. And rope tarps have been used by these other disciplines for decades.

I am with you with loving the throwline cube...I'd be sad to not have mine...although I didn't suffer very much using a 5 gallon plastic bucket for about 15 years before I got my folding cube. Storage space required is the only real advantage to the cube, when you get right down to it.

I would imagine a circular tarp with grommets around like the one above would be horrible for throw line. Once flaked onto whatever it must not move compared to the rest of the line. Faltimer does this when you first collapse the cube as the sides compress the stack thus keeping it stationary folding still doesn’t really jiggle it up.. a circular tarp when pulled together would move all the line. Maybe just a flat tarp that you lay another fabric over and roll up??

You would be wrong, Paul my friend. I know this from personal experience. The round tarp is no better nor worse than the cube in this respect, ime.

And you would be completely correct with you second thought. That product also has been available since shortly after you were in short pants :P.

My tarp i had made could be folded or rolled. Had pockets for throw weights. Just a variation of Nick Bonners tarp. I used sail canvas to make it tough. The line would tangle like a sumbiatch almost every shot no matter. Less issues with a cube.
The round tarp i recommend for climb line or rigging line that you do not need in a rope bag. I prefer a rope bag when i barber pole (limb out) and top pines. That way i just take my rope with me making ground work easier. When ready to descend or haul something up, drop the bag. Same with some rigging lines. Toss the zip line out from the tree, the whole bag.
I like the tarp for when I am pruning. Multiple trees. Just leave the tarp on the ground, climb. When flaking the rope back, easier than a bag. Faster for the next tree. Cinch and go.
For throw lines, a regular cube, like a faultimer, is best. I just by the WesSpur ones. That way, if some one buggers it up, i dont cry about it. Better to throw away a 29.00 cube than a 100.00. And I carry 3-4 cubes in my truck.

You would be wrong, Paul my friend. I know this from personal experience. The round tarp is no better nor worse than the cube in this respect, ime.

And you would be completely correct with you second thought. That product also has been available since shortly after you were in short pants :P.

Have another pop. Hey, Jed, stand clear of B till tomorrow. ;)

Stein are good, bang for buck. Wesspur, too, but lime green is less visible, and no markings. The simple Open and Close with arrows can be put on with markers.
When, flat, I fold the Open corner toward the Close corner (going from open to closed), and the velcro closure and D- ring are always in the right position.

Historically, having employees available to lose my stuff has made me want go go middle of the road. Haven't lost one, yet, thankfully.
A cube, 2 weights, and 250' of line is too spendy to lose, closing in on $100 on its own.

Wouldn’t buy Stein if they were the very last option. Rip-off company who take everyone’s good ideas and pass them off as theirs. Usually a drastic decrease in quality as well.

I hear you though, Falteimers are not cheap. When I lived in London but was travelling got work in Norway... the company also had a shop. We got everything at cost. Falteimers were less than 20 quid IIRC.

Back