Throwline - Any Reason To Get Something Other Than Dynaglide?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Thinking about putting in an order for a few things. Since my Weaver line's in a tree for the foreseeable future, I thought I'd get some more throwline as a backup. Currently using Dynaglide, and I like it a lot. Strong, supple, and slippery; works well. Any reason to look at something else? Maybe even something objectively worse, if it's significantly cheaper?

I quit climbing well over a dozen years ago but still have my Zing-It 2.2mm throwline. I only pull it out about once a year or so. Back in my climbing days I ended up with the 2.2mm Zing-It because the regular 1.8mm was too thin and would cut my hands handling it. It also would get wind knots and wear out fairly quickly. The thicker version was better on virtually all aspects and with my Big Shot I am still able to shoot higher than any target required even with the thicker line. I've never heard of Dynaglide so I'm guessing it's come out since I quit climbing.

Since it was a tool used to make my living, bargain hunting trying to save a couple dollars never figured into my decision. If the throw line lasts you a year and it costs $10 more than the bargain line, how much are you really saving using an inferior tool? And taking it one step further, do you really w3ant to make your living using a collection of inferior, compromise tools? If you're making a few hundred dollars per day using these tools then trying to get by with an inferior tool to save $10 doesn't make sense to me. I can save that $10 elsewhere.

I think I use 2.2 zing-it.

I've had dynaglide. Don't recollect much difference, certainly not night and day.

I do a lot of canopy dancing my weights around branches to circle conifers' trunks.

I don't know that is worth spending extra, now on it, for the amount you're using it, when you might put that gear money elsewhere.

I got ZingIt 2.2 too, love it, but I hear Dynaglide is excellent, and I’ll buy some eventually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you're making a few hundred dollars per day using these tools then trying to get by with an inferior tool to save $10 doesn't make sense to me. I can save that $10 elsewhere.
It's not really about the money. Or maybe it is. I don't know. I doubt I'd leave my Dynaglide in a tree for a couple months. I'd most likely take it down and rethrow. Cheapness has it's own positive attributes sometimes. That weaver line I have was free. It isn't worth much more than that imo, but it's proved it's value by being able to be left in a tree without a care.

Also, I was just putting out feelers for something that could be better. I've only used weaver and Dynaglide. Seems hard to beat(1k# test, tangle resistant), but you never know...

I like Dynaglide the best. I do still have a few cubes of zing it. Seems to me that the dynaglide runs out of a tree better. Doesn't take as big of a bag to pull it out of a rough bark tree. They both are good.

I l have a throwline cube with about a 200 ft length and one about 300 feet (exact lengths kep changing with wear, and breakage - the longer one is for re-directs into trees across the lawn, and other scenarios) - both of those are Zing-It 2.2.

I also have a second cube with Dynaglide.
The Dynaglide feels a bit bulkier, but both fly and hold up well. The Zing-It seems to tangle a bit more than the Dynaglide until it is broken in and worn a little.
I think it's a bit like Stihl vs. Husqvarna. :)

Speaking of cubes; the cheap ones die quickly, the Faltheimer lasts a good bit longer.
Anyone find a robust alternative to the Faltheimer?

Tangent...a few times when I needed to leave a throw line in a tree longer than I wanted to leave a throw line in a tree:)...I used the throw line to pull up some inexpensive 80lb. test monofilament fishing line and left that. In one case, it was almost a year...but that's another story :D.

Anyone find a good alternative to the cubes? I still fight mine, and so I'm ready to move on lol

Yea, I thought of that Burnham. I have a whole bunch of masons stringline I've picked up over the years. That would be a good candidate to leave in a tree.

edit:
I'm super happy with this as my throwline bag...

20200125_124854-jpg.98833

The mouth is fairly big, so it deploys line well, and has pockets for weights and stuff. It's not as easy to load as a cube, but not bad. Cost $3 or something like that from the thrift shop.

Anyone else find something that works well? :lol: the day i show up with a literal purse will be the day the world ends. I was thinking about a small tarp tho....

I think my mom has one just like that :lol: I'll do a 5 gallon bucket before that, but ideally something collapsing.

Well, if you don't want a makeup bag, a riggers bag might work. Should be sufficiently big to flake line in, and you can crush it down for travel to keep the line in place.

I’ve considered the tarp or the Edelrid Falter, but never pulled the trigger.

I use 5 gallon buckets and nest them. I put an empty bottle in each bucket to act as a spacer...otherwise the buckets get stuck. I have 3 or 4 nested now and they do well. I drill 2 holes near the top and keep the end of the line up and out of the rats nest of throw line....no knots that way.

Anyone find a good alternative to the cubes? I still fight mine, and so I'm ready to move on lol
I know most climbers say they don't have room for it, but I've used a empty 3 gallon drywall mud bucket for as long as I've used a throwline. If you use a Big Shot then it also is the perfect place to store and protect the Big Shot head. This is where I will cheap out, but only because the cheap (free) option works every bit as well as the $100 folding cube. Protecting my Big Shot head actually makes it a more desirable option for me than the folding cube. And when I need it, everything is all in one place with a handle to carry it.

Gary, instead of an empty bottle you could simply drop a throw ball in each bucket to act as your spacer to keep the buckets from sticking together. I have two in my bucket, but since I only use one bucket I keep them clipped to the handle with a keychain biner.

That’s awesome. I’m always worried about the big shot head getting bent or something sharp coming in contact with the band. Seems the most fragile day-to-day tool I carry.
Could probably trim the edges off more lids and use them as dividers for multiple throw lines.

Are BigShot poles generic? If I were to get a BigShot kit, could a pole saw be fitted to the poles?

I think most 1.25” round poles are interchangeable. I’ve always used Jameson hollow fiberglass, and always buy mid poles and have saw heads and pruner heads alone, like not permanently mounted on poles.

Also, trees ain’t really tall around here, so I’ve gotten along just fine with a 6’ pole for the big shot.

I need 8 foot of fiberglass poles to accurately shoot with a bigshot.

I just got some dynaglide. Imo it's at least twice as nice as zing it. Tighter braid, slipperyer coating, 100%less snarls/tangles. Ive had great luck with zing it in the past, but the hank I have now is AWFUL. Snarls up like every second throw. I am a full dynaglide convert now

Back