The RIP Thread...

Just read about those airbags in Wired magazine. They deploy and make your 'size' much larger.
Larger items, despite their weight migrate to the top of a mixture in motion.
Works like a Brazil nut in a can of mixed nuts - you tend to float to the top as the avalanche tumbles everything downhill.

I feel decidedly mixed when folks pushing recreation to its extremes meet their ends. Its a tough call as to what constitutes reasonable level of risks. I think if you have young kids that need you, you should cool it a bit. At some point searching for the next big thrill becomes a tad narcisistic. I feel badly for those folks' family and loved ones.

I think sometimes people miss the simple pleasures in life while looking for the big ones.

I live near a bunch of ski places and every year it seems that avalanches kill people, not much at the commercial slopes, though there was one case this year. Places closed this year for a time when they couldn't keep up with the grooming, due to the much heavier than usual amount of snow A very good friend was killed a number of years ago when winter mountaineering alone, a narrow slide caught him. On the news are given avalanche warnings quite regularly. Often the case is what happened to the people that Roger mentioned, that they ventured away from the groomed areas. People that know the mountains well around here will tell me that winter it is not safe up there when you get out into the wild, or it might be their wives talking through them. Still, watching the vid of that lady skiing, it looks like a pretty awesome thing to be able to do so well and courageously.

What's the deal on going out of boundaries at ski places? People like the folks involved in this incident feel that the rules are not for them, or their experience and status as event officials and top notch pros allows them free reign to do as they like? Offhand, it seems that if you want to go ski potentially dangerous areas, there are better locations than trudging off beyond the posted limits of a ski resort or exactly what that place is. I guess it sounds a bit accusatory to ask questions like this, and I know little about it other than people dying that appear to not want to follow specific guidelines. Is it posted that one goes beyond certain areas at their own risk, or plainly says not permitted, and that means everyone? Don't people involved in the rescue attempts or whatever, have to venture into the risky areas themselves to do it, thus also putting themselves in danger?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shoot, I've been in a lotta places probably I shouldn't have been. I ain't gonna begrudge them.

Jay, yes. We get annual public discussions here about folks that deliberately go out of bounds then get effed up and need rescue. Who should pay etc. I think the people that go out of bounds should be on the hook for all costs involved to rescue/find their silly butts. Take the chance, pay the price. Why should my tax dollars go to fund rescue teams that go to find fools or risk takers that willingly ignore the boundaries and rules? If not paying for the true cost of rescue, I wouldn't mind seeing a $10,000 fine or something else that makes it hurt. Might just be a preventative for the next person that thinks they are indestructible.

Most areas these days have open boundary policies. Those needing rescue are usually billed.

Jay, even in Japan, some areas have opened their boundaries...

The group of 13 at Steven's were well trained and prepared, and many were pro skiers. That said, given the rated danger Sunday, and with the large amount of new snow, and the terrain choice, I think they should have rethought their decision to venture out.

Interesting about the open boundaries. i guess the sport is growing and pushing the limits. As you mention, Roger, I read where the conditions for possible avalanches were very high at that time. The lady seems to have been quite lucky, and the fellow that hung in there holding onto a tree as the snow flowed by and over him. I guess airbag sales are going to much increase now in the states. It seems like the people that died were found pretty quickly, but still didn't make it. Menacing snow....

"Buck" Compton passed. A true American badass. He lived to 90 years old, survived WWII as a paratrooper in the 101st. Was made "famous" in the movie Band of Brothers.

Great picking, Earl, RIP.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4MuUeQRLRBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sad seeing some of the old icons of the news leaving us.
Well they can say what they want to about some of those salty old farts but they did report the news .

Unlike the sensationalism of the likes of Nancy Grace ,Jane Valez Mitchel or the biased BS of Rush Limbaugh .There is no news today just the opinions of fat asses like Rush it seems .

Well they can say what they want to about some of those salty old farts but they did report the news .

Unlike the sensationalism of the likes of Nancy Grace ,Jane Valez Mitchel or the biased BS of Rush Limbaugh .There is no news today just the opinions of fat asses like Rush it seems .
You said it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd love to be a Reporter/Journalist.

Super cool job; like treework, but you can last longer.

Reporters have to be smart too, know what they can get away with, not like that reporter that asked the pro wrestler if it is really such a fake, and got clobbered for an answer. :lol:

Back