The Official Work Pictures Thread

Haha great info there! For Burnham....
9f7d12ba545e376aa4b8802f04668f76.jpg

Doesn't pollarding allow the trees to basically live forever, as long as it's religiously maintained?

Rich, cool pics and job, thanks for posting.

I've never pollarded, is there a trick or technique to it or is it simply cutting off all the suckers at their collar (if they have one)?

I pollarded about 8 Japanese maples today... they've been doing it for years... so I was like... ok.

Edit... they were all climbers..otherwise I wouldn't mention them.

Great looking work, Rich.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rich, cool pics and job, thanks for posting.

I've never pollarded, is there a trick or technique to it or is it simply cutting off all the suckers at their collar (if they have one)?

The main trick is to cut as close to the knuckle as possible. They can then callous over easier. Try not to cut into the knuckle as that is where the sugars and whotnot are stored for the regrowth. Some people leave sap risers but IMO it just looks naff and unfinished.

It takes a while for the pollard heads to establish themselves, but once they are there is is pretty much like painting by numbers. Up, down, repeat. 200 odd times in this case.

Rich,I couldn't imagine doing all that with a handsaw,kudos. I think the properly done,established pollard jobs look cool.

Ya Butch,that was the finished product on the palm. Over trimmed,yes. Most dont want to leave the queens full.
I inform ,they decide....

Nobody around here wants any palms left full. Every one of them say it just means they have to be trimmed again sooner. Most would be happy if you only left 1-2 fronds.

Rich,I couldn't imagine doing all that with a handsaw,kudos. I think the properly done,established pollard jobs look cool.

Ya Butch,that was the finished product on the palm. Over trimmed,yes. Most dont want to leave the queens full.
I inform ,they decide....

Cheers bud.

As I mentioned it wasn't just me. Between us we got it done today and the finished product looked tidy.

I also found out the avenue is on records for being planted in the 1750's. They have had some weird ideas over the years. First time I have seen metal nailed over the cavities. A bit like a plaster in a human.

I reckon the tennis elbow is in the post.

22d7510b6c8950ac9d885a31d623021c.jpg

88cec110c1741c3c5e4ac5f202c281f4.jpg

Rich

If you look closely in the second picture towards the climber, there is a large cavaty running down the trunk. The top has some grey metal tacked to it.

Then they heard about Shigo.

Love those pollarding pictures! It's a pleasure to see it done properly and the historical context. Absurd to some, but it has its place.
And yeah, I get it about trimming palms, I call it a 'feather on a pimple'...hate it.

This liquidambar took me two days, 95% handsaw work...had some storm damage, long tall skinny leaders, probably topped at about 10' 20 years ago...some branches had grown sideways through the whole width of the canopy...snipping, shortening, and oh yeah some power and internet on one side.
There was a LOT of tree up there.

Attachments

• DSC02199.jpg
    DSC02199.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02206.jpg
    DSC02206.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 42
Weird Paul... Looks more like Washington tree-work to me.

Fiona: Nice.

U.K. Rich... That lookes so nice. I'm going to try to talk people into going with that more often.

Ohio Rich. HA!! Yeah,.... I always think that, and then I think, "Man... I trust people on the opposite side of a divided highway all day long without even thinking about it."

Back