The Official Work Pictures Thread

Glad you were able to escape that unscathed Stig.
Looks like a " Jack be nimble, Jack be quick!" moment.
Experience and education. Why the Tree House Rocks!
Shit certainly can happen.

Rich, I wish you could have gotten some pics. Sounds lovely, save the cold.
Happy holiday. I'll start mine here in some hours from now.
Fish & Game Club had their Chili Dinner last night. So it sort of started for me. Got invited to shoot some trap. Felt nice.
Get a few more trees down and burned today, and mine can really start. :D

Normal face cut on intended felling direction.

Bore in from the side and form the hinge on both sides to the correct thickness, cut towards the back and stop before holding wood is severed.

Remove the saw and trip the tree with a 45 degree diagonal cut to release.

The remaining stump has a small triangle resembling a dogs lower canine tooth. As can be seen in Stig's picture. Hence the name.

Good question... it is taught just for leaners. I bore the hinge quite a lot but just trip the tree by continuing cutting the holding wood till the saw is out of the back cut.

I have seen people trip the leaner with a cut under the backcut. I think they called it a bore/strap and release cut. Kiwis tend to do it this way.

They also teach a Danish Pie cut now in the felling criteria in the UK. Quarter cutting is another name for it. Graeme McMahon tends to do this a lot on the Eucs in his vids.

Why it is called the Danish Pie? I don't know. Maybe Stig could help on this one.?

Damn Stig that always gets your heart beating. That dogs tooth is interesting, I’ll have to give that a try.

CurSed, what kind of falling axe is that in your last picture?

Damn Stig that always gets your heart beating. That dogs tooth is interesting, I?ll have to give that a try.

CurSed, what kind of falling axe is that in your last picture?

A really beat on Channel Lock brand axe. We lost my proper wood handle one at a job. Due for another soon.
Was the only decent weight head I could find at the time, and the composite and rubber handle intrigued me.
Broke another hard head with it today. Really need to just go get a proper wood handle... :lol:
The channel lock blue is standard issue on it Sean.

Good pics, Stephen. Crispy indeed!

That's a good looking axe imo. Thanks for the link, Sean

I just broke my first hard head wedge. It was quite upsetting. I guess I can?t complain after two years of abuse. They make more everyday. Now I just need to keep my replacement from cutting the lead edge off with the saw. He try?s hard but gets a little over zealous at times:lol:

Back to the dog's tooth...ditto what Biggun has been saying, standard series of cuts to drop a forward leaner, we had quite a discussion here about the merits pro or con of releasing the holding strap by the UK method, 45* downward from above vs the US method of a horizontal cut below the level of the bored back cut.

People seem to think the dog's tooth will snatch your saw...never has for me. Glad it has actually maybe contributed to Stig getting to live another day.

Cory, just have to make sure you wear gloves with using it. That rubbery coating pinches bare fingers and makes good blisters.

Rich, I buy two for every one I break. I know another one will soon... lol

Dead silver birch dismantle...they wanted the stumps left high in case they have them carved...or put stuff on them.

Attachments

• DSC02016.jpg
    DSC02016.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC02020.jpg
    DSC02020.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 62
Gosh Bermy it looks like you had to downsize a little. I feel bad your new ride is an old cart with steel wheels. I hope you can at least afford some kind of critter to pull it around... :D

"I want to carve something" lol sure they do. We did a big bur oak two years ago and it still looks like a tree that was left high.

:lol: Shawn...my hubby now has to push that cart down the road...either that or we find a stray dog to harness up to it.

I bet in about a month when I go back to do some other work there it will be application of chainsaw at a lower level.

Back