The Official Work Pictures Thread

I hear you Butch, I very rarely do it and when I do there’s always a lot of faffing while I sort it out.

I reckon the more you do it the quicker it is to set up, once you have a better grasp on the angles of dangles etc. Setting it up is a breeze.

(That’s what I’m guessing anyway!)

I would argue that your ground help still have to walk up hill. Wearing ground crews out too soon in the day will bite you in the are come clean up.
Big crew, no worries. Small crews, use gravity to your advantage.

Would have been lots more rigging straight down, near the glass deck railing and glass front house. If you see the stump pic, the maple took up the space below the tree.

I'm pretty speedy with a speed line. Resetting rigging for the spars meant moving down the Running Bowline, and choking a piece, plus clipping. Untying/ unhitching a ring or block, to install lower would take a lot more time.

The rear trunk wasn't that close to anything. It wasn't that far from anything, either. The tips leaned over the house.

I'm pretty confident it would have taken more time and more effort not to have speed lined everything to the chipper/ lower driveway.

I didn't take the mini-loader off the trailer, as there was so little dragging.

Made a contact with a landscaper who could pick up the wood today when a firewood guy couldn't make it due to mechanical issues. He had a Dingo with a rigid grapple. He made quick work of loading. His company does a lot of hardscapes and other landscaping. Exchanged stacks of cards.

Yesterday, two of us put in 2.5 hours, getting to the job later than planned, as our pruning job at the fancy tree house property took longer than hoped.. Today 6 hours. Two climbing sessions. One chip drop, one bid scope.

As skwerl clarified a bit, you put the switch down into choke and then flip it up to run, which sets it to fast idle. Then pull and go.

Assuming the saw is sitting upright on the ground, you mean put the switch UP into choke, and then flip down to run, yes?

Depends on the switch layout on the saw. On mine the choke is a separate lever. You pull it out and push it back in to set the fast idle.

Regardless of how the levers move, closing the choke also moves the throttle out slightly. There will be some sort of spring loaded catch on the carb so that the throttle remains slightly open until the throttle trigger is bumped. All saws (and every other 2 cycle engine) have had this feature for as long as I can remember. Basic small engine stuff. It's like discussing why 2+2=4.

Sean... Those pics rocked, I don't care HOW ya dun it. Me: I freakin HATE a speed line. Probably mostly cause I suck at it, but I still hate it. I'm trying to do it more and more now to save-out the groundies a bit, but I find that it usually seems to suck pretty much. I would have paid good money to watch you at it, without knowing that I was there. I freakin don't know WHY I hate it so much... I've seen it be nearly just as fast, or even FASTER than conventional rig in a one or two situations.

Hey, man, I quit Big Green finally, you believe that??! Got sick of always complaining about stuff, and just finally up and quit them boys. Stickin to "family-owned," God-willing, from now on!

Hey Gentlemen: Pick yerselves up a six-pack of Elysian Space Dust, wouldja?... and try to tell me that that ain't the best beer that any of ya's have had in yer entire blessed lives.

I can attest that Sean is pretty good at rigging stuff up. I love speedlines, especially when it comes to zipping down a cat in the bag!

IMG_1528.jpg

I only use a speedline when the dripline doesn't allow me to rope down into it.

That happens very rarely, but it does happen.

Good for you, Jed. Make the best of it. Some good folks here to help you cipher the madness of it all.

Sean...10-4 on Google Maps. Amazing how good a picture G Maps turned up of that house. Good share on your picts. Love that white bark...only sycamore here gets that white...kinda.

Good luck Jed.

Felling for scenic views of the Fjord. Basically knock over trees that were in the eye line of the Fjord. Quite a steep bank so everything felling across the slopes. Glad we aren't extracting as it would be a nightmare.

Just a small one with a decent hinge in honour of Jed resignation.

dc6a0d5d10b11501073952c4d3dde7ed.jpg

Rich

Back