The Official Work Pictures Thread

Man I hope that doesn't become a new fad over here. I'm free to slaughter at will again since all the bats moved out as of October 15th in my area! Cool job by the way.

Very cool.

I hope your rakers were high!!

HA! No kiddn eh? A Danish logger could brobably bore into a hardwood with his eyes closed, though. Do you guys use that, "twist on the guide-bar," trick as you're boring in. I always forget. :|:

Rich: DANG!!! That SUCKS, man.

Got the stump and the wood outa the ladie's yard. Man I had to leave that stump 2' high cause my 32" bar could BARELY scrape out the 5'2" final cut I left. Plus we gotta stump grind it. I told Ed (the grind guy) that I'd bring in my four foot Cannon to scrape some more out of it.

Then we got out to a Redwood and roped out (negative blocking) :O 12 footers to save-out saw logs for the guy. POUNDED our poor-little rigging. Stupid, little pig was dang near 4'. We might see some money out of the timber save-out. We'll see.

unnamed-1560.jpg P82A27281.jpg P82A27261.jpg P82A27301.jpg P82A27311.jpg P82A27321.jpg P82A27341.jpg P82A27361.jpg

That's a dandy Jed!

A friend of mine has been laid up after back surgery and has been building bird houses, bat houses, squirrel houses, all kinds of small houses. Keeps asking me if I will hang some for him next summer. I told him yes but that was before I found out you can just bore a hole in the tree...

Jed, I can't believe you guys drove down the road like that. Does that seem like a legal load?

How low did you have to go with 12' log rigging? I was looking at a redwood removal bid today, wondering how low I could hang logs/ how heavy might some of that loading be for negative blocking. Its near the house and asphalt road/ alley.

Anybody willing to use negative blocking to catch 12' logs while climbing is 10 times the man I'll ever be. I'd be hesitant to do it from a bucket. Jed, you must need a log dolly to carry your balls around. :O

Me too, spill Jed!

Yeah... Cory/Mick... It's super weird... I could not even BEGIN to tell you WHY, but I will tell you that it's really effective for smoothing out any chatter whatsoever. It's super weird... you can even be running stupidly low rakers. Just bore in using the bottom part of the bar tip, and then immediately tweak the motorhead clockwise (doubt if it matters... my inbred preference). Man I am TELLIN you guys... smooths stuff right out! Never break another clutch spring again! (Mind you: I run 32" bars, AND you must remember to DO the trick in order for the trick to work.) :|:

Cory you might be right on the size. I'd have to actually check. Boss was told it was 18" and I never questioned it or tested. One could tell the bolts were stretched because they were easy to remove and once off you could see a difference in the heads. Slight discoloration in the steel as well. I don't really push near 15" since I think it's underpowered

Jed, I can't believe you guys drove down the road like that. Does that seem like a legal load?

How low did you have to go with 12' log rigging? I was looking at a redwood removal bid today, wondering how low I could hang logs/ how heavy might some of that loading be for negative blocking. Its near the house and asphalt road/ alley.

So, Sean... Yeah... in my limited experience... the DOT up here tends to be SUPER severe on log trucks, and WAAAY too overly lenient on little Arb rigs. Just my experience and for what it's worth. My (one of them :X) boss was driving that truck, so, obviously, I was all good.

On the riggin stuff: Yeah... (beating a poor dead horse into the stinkin GROUND, here) but, uhhh.... yeah: the way that we factor rigging is: (i THINK!! :|:)... The weight of the load, times the distance of the fall, plus the weight of the load again. I think. I was runnin a brand new Dynasorb 3/4, rope, but I had a REALLY weak link with a newish Tenex 3/4" block sling. :|::|::|: Plus I told Victor to just Lock it up on the porty, cause they (we were working over a rich guy's asphalt) were afraid to run it out. I have a trick of sucking my flipline into the stick till my chest is about three inches away from the stick, and then crossing my arms to grab the flipline with my hands. It didn't work. I got the snot beaten clean out of me twice, pinched ALL of the (it's not even Spring) bark through with the Tenex block sling. Plus I banged up my left shoulder a bit. I found (on the last log) that it actually works (a trick of my old, retired, and fallen--literally--foreman) better to just push your palms directly against the stick as hard as you can. I was like, "Never again. Why am I doing this? Oh, yeah... because I'm a glory-hound with a raging inferiority complex, who is working for a rich guy, and wants to impress his gardener, and wants to put the pics up on the treehouse." That's why. Freakin stupid, man. Plus, that stem had a nasty storm-split in it, and I had to wrap it with a chain binder to even climb it. I took the logs SIDEWAYS to the split, but it was still pretty stupid.

Brian: Not ball bigness... just brain smallness. Size matters. Do you guys ever want to push stuff just to see what'll happen?

Oh... Sean... No, man, our little boom-truck crane thing was able to get the final 12 footer. That one would have busted the Tenex for shure.

Thanks for coming clean Jed. Your honesty gains more of my respect than thinking there is some savage out there catching big logs on a rope without the tree even moving and why am I not that awesome.

Jed you're a beast! After the first beating is of said to hell with lumber and cut smaller. I'm all about making the boss money but I ain't getting beat to death for it.

You know Jed, there are several top notch outfits in the greater Seattle area...

Hmm, that sounds dickish, sorry. Great work as always.

Ditch work again. Made a big mess in a hurry. Three trees left and off to the next one
View attachment 82701
This one is for the county sewer department. The trees on the ditch keep uprooting and knocking out the power to the lift station. It's getting me back into ROW clearing mode which will be starting soon enough. "Two men and a rope" will be back soon enough. :(

You see a lot of these concrete box culverts in your area Rich? They are putting in a big one around the corner from me now. Pretty good sized double pipe (8ft) corrugated galvanized washed out this spring.

The road has been shut down since then. I guess funding was the problem. They are scrambling to get it in before water flow picks up. Double 8 foot pipes run full under flood. Right now a big trash pump is pumping the water around the job. They are jamming.. Time is very limited.

We have them!

Attachments

• gojohngo.JPG
    gojohngo.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 68
  • settingplanks.JPG
    settingplanks.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 69
  • settingup.JPG
    settingup.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 68
Back