The Official Work Pictures Thread

Helluva way to go!
An hour in Image 5.jpg
An hour later Image 4.jpg
An hour after that Image 3.jpg
Is it lunch time Image 2.jpg
Last hour and a half: roll credits Image.jpg
I basically sold the job to a larger Co, and I calculated there was roughly $800K worth of iron on this gig.

Attachments

• Image 6.jpg
    Image 6.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 52
Big dead ash removal. The home owner was 95 years old and in pretty good health. He kept trying to help out with clean up. Pretty sharp too. He was asking my ropeman all kinds of questions that he pretty much answered in the question.
Coffee break anyone?
IMG_1874.jpg
I was told some one was coming to get the wood and wanted it as long as possible. He showed up and he owns a bandsaw mill and wants it for a porch floor for an old hunting cabin he owns. I was glad to see it wasn't just gonna be fire wood. Ash has a great grain to it.
IMG_1876.jpg IMG_1878.jpg
Had a pretty good internal Dutchman on the double cut for the notch. Kinda mad at myself but in my defense I was on spurs for ten hours. :lol:
It was a bucket job till my water pump froze up two cuts into it. At least the rigging was set

Rajan, nice pics!

How do you like the Telex

Edit- ok I guess its not yours, but how do you like it anyway? Or, how do they like it?

A friend of mine is fighting wildfires at Williams lake area. Sent me this pic. Not nice

Damn Reg, brutal picture, but thanks for posting, it needs to be seen. Smh.

That pic seems a little surprising in that the cougar is burned down to the skull bones yet the tree doesn't seem deeply burned. I would think the tree would burn more readily than meat and hide, no?

Burnham, here's how it is for me. Firstly, I don't feel like a wimp. But if I am, that's not the reason I've shelved the saw pants. The reason I'm not wearing them right now, is because I don't agree with them. I've always been that way....if I don't agree with something, I won't do it, if within my power. I don't care who says this or that, I'm not doing it. If someone else's sees a different order of risks and dangers for themselves, that's up to them. I'm not arguing or telling anyone else what to do, nor trying to force my ideas on others. Along the same lines I won't accept someone else's thoughts and preferences are better for my welfare, than what my thoughts and preferences are for myself. If you get my meaning. There's not a person alive who's judgement I would trust more than my own in that sense. It goes way beyond saw pants. You can't change or deny who you are and how you feel.

That said, I have been thinking about giving chaps another go. I haven't worn them since 99, but there might be a compromise there. I took for granted how much I climb on my knees until the other day.

I'll agree with your perspective completely, Reg. I'm pretty much the same way, in regards to if I agree with something, or don't, determines where I stand on compliance. And I'd be the last man to throw out "wimp" in your direction :).

To make it perfectly clear...I don't wear PPE because someone told me it was what I should or must do. I wear it because all my experience has shown me it is wise to do so. Just as you make your choice based on your beliefs and convictions, so do I. And those beliefs and convictions must make sense, to us both.

An example...I have for more than 35 years argued in my climbing and sawyer classes that one should wear eye protection...but only when it does not impede your vision. Once you give up vision acuity to sweat and condensation during everything you are doing with a saw or in climbing, to protect against a rather rare hazard of eye damage, you have made a dumb choice. Notwithstanding that USFS policy makes eye pro a non-negotiable requirement when climbing or running a saw.

I believe you and I are in total accord, my friend.

I'll always be 'work in progress', Burnham. Walked into my share of landmines in the past, but never looked to blame anyone else.

Im with ya there B... to the extent that the eye pro has stayed in the pickup for most of my life.

Started wearing petzl lids with the senas cutting timber a couple years ago. Mine has the flip down screen. I find myself using the screen a few times briefly each week, mostly when cutting kickers out of left handed faces, where the chain can really throw chios in your face.

Full time eye pro cutting timber is asking for an accident, imo, from all the overhead liabilities. I get sawdust in my eyes everyday, and it hasnt hurt me yet. Did know one fellow who lost partial vision in one eye from a tape nail. Bit of a fluke accident me thinks.

My old boss lost the use of an eye splitting wood, tiny splinter, that's all it took.

When I'm grinding I flick the visor up to get a better look, I tend to leave it open till I start getting flicked around the face by stuff, which is bolting the stable door after the horse has gone a bit.

Rajan, nice pics!

How do you like the Telex

Edit- ok I guess its not yours, but how do you like it anyway? Or, how do they like it?
I have flown them several times. They are nice! fast, smooth, and have amazing reach, heavy tho

The old steel wedges we used when I started logging were hell on eyes.
They'd get mushroomed over, and if one wasn't prompt about trimming them, splinters ( Actually more like small scrapnell) would fly.
Guy I logged with took one clear through the eye ball.
I't is an ingrained habit of mine, and one that I have beaten into all my apprentices, to always lower the face shield when wedging trees or logs.
Even the Hardhead wedges we use today, can throw a splinter.

Re. Steel wedges, I happened across this old timer buried whilst rotovating my garden

Were they like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 60
Back