The Official Work Pictures Thread

Feel bad for this guy. He has been restoring this cabin that is probably part of the original ranch. There is another house and other targets right above him. They divided the place into 1 acre lots. No good place to drop those behemoth trees. Not my custy. Poor bastid. Bet those two next to the house are pushing 175 feet tall. 4 more behind it.
At least you could rig the second one off the front one. Hell of a gin pole. Write off the wooden walk way and drop the spar pole. You could get a crane, be here a couple days though. About 5 hours each way portal to portal. You'll want a 70 tonner for reach.

Attachments

• tmp_30556-20160910_1304101138886398.jpg
    tmp_30556-20160910_1304101138886398.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 39
Ponderosa can grow to exceed 200 feet and are now considered possibly the tallest pine species. It is a close race between them and sugar pine. Sugar pine was accepted as the tallest for a long time as I recall.

Will do Rich. The trees I will be dealing with are much smaller, nothing over 100 feet. Just in tight spots. A lot of climbing, tip tying and gin pole. Most the trees are in groups. So my highest tie in can handle sometime 5 trees without moving my rope. Sweet set up. Good money. Less sweat. Some other cowboy can have the big beasts. Only a couple year round residents up there, so I won't have too many neighbor hood quotes :/: .
I was invited to go get a bear tag and go hunting next weekend. I wish I could have gone. I would have just tagged along mostly. Bring an appropriate guide gun in case we did run into a bear. I have so much to do at the home and shop, I declined for now. I'll go back up soon probably just to help.with some of the trees on a Saturday just for an excuse to take the kids and Katy fishing and quad riding. As was stated, a paid vacation. I can dig it.
I have a date back at the regular logging camp at the end of this month for some more tree preservation and some black oak harvesting and milling. A week there is always fun.

Stephen, between this and the "45 Trees" job, you are into some epic stuff lately, man!

So fun for an amateur like me to follow your recent exploits! :thumbup:

Thanks, but it really is just circumstantial is how I feel. Through these fellows here I learned enough stuff in the last 8 or so years to pull off what we do. Trees just started dying and we were somehow ready for it. Fell into doing tree work on a fluke of an idea. Just was tired of doing other stuff and wanted something new that I could home base. Then someone offered me the tools.
Anyway... Happy you get something from it. Somedays I can't believe I am doing for money what I use to like to do as a kid. Other days I just feel like a tired grouchy old guy that for some stoopid reason climbs these damn trees :lol:
Guess it will make good stories for the grand kids someday :dontknow:

Great pictures.

That off grid old ranch is my idea of heaven.

Keep us posted if you get the job.
Here are some off the other camera Rich, you would dig this place. All kinds of interesting construction on some of the cabins.
The one with the massive trees over it has an out door bath with a firewood rounds wall for privacy, composting toilet with steps made out of notched out pine chunk right across from the meadow with a pond next door.
IMG_0035.jpg IMG_0036.jpg IMG_0037.jpg IMG_0039.jpg IMG_0040.jpg IMG_0041.jpg IMG_0042.jpg IMG_0043.jpg IMG_0038.jpg

This fellow does demolition work and incorporated all kinds of stuff into his set of cabins over two lots he shares with his bro. Some of the large hinges on doors were all hand forged like on the water tank house. Stairs and bridges to each abode (the little roofs in a line are over that). Just fun shit. I could really dig having a property up there. Good fishing. Would be fun to bring the horses up.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 41
Up in the mountains we've got a place not so unlike that here. Not so much all the accouterments, though. It was started by missionaries many years ago, who wanted to be able to have a spot where they could cool their heels by a lake and escape the heathen society to congregate for awhile when schedules allowed. It wasn't so long ago that people were still carrying water up from the lake, and now the children of missionaries raised in the country, have formed an association to keep it rustic for their vacation homes. Many cabins, and rules about what you can and can't do to structures. Lots of tree work up that way, but some outfit has had it sown up for years, also maintaining the cabins in winter and whatnot. Tried to lever in but couldn't do it. I have a white guy friend with a cabin there. He's normal, but the children of missionaries can be an unusual lot, it seems like either they are super heavy religious as well themselves, or in some kind of fever about wanting to wild party all the time. :wall:

Some old religious persuasion still prevails, no beer or other intoxicants down by the lake. No wearing of thongs by the ladies. :(

Thanks for the pictures. Yes a cool place.

I think as I live in one of the busiest cities in Europe (London) I crave the exact opposite end of the spectrum. Isolation, cabin, Family and somewhere to grow shit.

A couple of pictures from today.

We had two job at care homes to do which where more travelling than tree work but they needed doing. As we rolled back into the area where my guys yard is, there was a beech tree they tried to do last Thursday. They left it as a Pole with a few leaders and timber to be rigged.

1 hour and 40 later it was all down and the stem on the deck. Someone is going back another day to turn it into firewood as the HO is keeping it all.

..... Pictures would help.

We were in a spot to get something to pull the tree with to use as an anchor. We cut some wedged out of the hardwood just in case as I could only find a couple of shallow wedges in the truck. The hardwood wedges worked enough to hold the cut open so I could remove the two I had then double up the yellow ones.

She decided to have a wee lay down after that. ;)

232b4e8d6c2331d6db9709ad954cb553.jpg

85cbdb850e11d1d08472750181207a8e.jpg

92db359e1999f3778b3ed146a1e6aada.jpg

910ca7805b5dacd7b8b232ccd83522b9.jpg

fc3cdda050f72524265c9976fa4129af.jpg

ff30f3dfa5c2b11c75b441416558c574.jpg

Rich

Back