The Official Work Pictures Thread

image.jpg
A big ole linden this morning for the gas company. We blew it out pretty fast since none of us were happy about going up there. Boss said to get as much of it down today as possible so it would be an easy Friday finish. I'm taking that to mean we can take an extended lunch;)

Any critters in there Rich?
Had a squirrel nest in a top I flopped out this morning, 3 out of 4 amazingly survived the crash, little pink fellers about an inch and a half long. Kind of late in the year here for them to be that small. The wife said she didn't want to raise them, but she did feed them 'til I could get them to a friend who raises a lot of wild stuff. I think she really wanted to keep the male but we've already got a female and one squirrel at a time is plenty.

I always euthanized the pinkies. About zero chance of them living no matter how hard you try.

The wife has raised a slew of pinkies Butch. Puppy formula is what she feeds them. She's raised gray squirrels, flying squirrels, 'possums, coons, and a bunch of baby birds too. A regular Ellie Mae. I don't have the patience or dedication for it.

Surprisingly the saw still cuts. Not like a new chain but I'll fix that tomorrow. No critters to be seen.
We've got a guy at work that took a nest of pinkies home. Only one survived but it's like a dog to him now. His wife told me the critter gets all excited when his truck pulls in and pounces on him from the curtains when he walks in the door. Won't leave his shoulder much till he goes to bed.
I have to do the 1- 1&1/2 hour drive back up there tomorrow. Supposably I have 17 more to do now that just got approval from the city forester. It wouldn't be a big deal but the wife is due next Friday so she could call me anytime. My truck is governed at 72 mph and I warned him that it'll be doing that if I get called while up there and he can pick it up at the hospital.

Alex and I took down the leftover lead of a codom hickory. Another small tree outfit took out the easy side a few months ago...made the famous sloping back cut...no face at all...ripped out and spun some it looks like but they got away with it. They went to do the other side and got spooked. Asked for $500 from the owner and said they would come back to finish the rest. He said he figured they would not come back when they took their blocks, etc. with them...he was right. They did leave a new True Blue rope in the tree. We used that today as our pull line/rigging line. Tree leaned out toward the house. I went up into the skinnies and took the top limb by limb...too much lean to try to throw it all together. The first pict is after taking out the 15-20 feet of the top. Hot hot today...glad to have it done. Owner is a Nam vet...told us the story of how he got wounded (shot 3 times by VC with an M1 carbine...leftover from the French days)..sniper chose him because he was the radioman...first shot took out his right forearm...you can tell muscle is missing but he does OK. Got shot in shoulder and then neck...larynx...has an unusual voice due to that shot. He used his left arm to shoot out a 20 round M-16 magazine (auto) where he saw the leaves blowing out when the sniper shot at him. Killed the sniper...6 of the 20 shots hit the sniper. His buddies were screaming at him to call in an air strike. He got pissed off because he could not key the mike due to the shot up arm and when he finally managed to he could not talk after being shot in the neck. He took his good hand, wiped it in the blood of his shoulder, stuck the hand up in the air and then his buddies realized he needed help...they started screaming for a medic. Medic showed up and it was his very first casualty, ever. Medic said, "oh, man, they creamed you". That pissed him off even more. He was a hoot.

Said they had to use "dynamite" (likely C-4) to make an LZ to medevac him. They put him on the chopper, he looked up and the door gunner had a name on his helmet that said "Frankenstein". He though he was going crazy.

Said he made sargent 3 times...demoted often for fighting and being rowdy. He was packing an auto on his hip all day today. After hearing all his stories I said, "Loren, I really don't think you need that pistol". He got a kick out of that. :lol:

Anyway, he was a good guy, did the hard thing back in VN in 1966. It was a 4.5 hour job, we did it for $350...figure he got a veteran's discount.

Attachments

• topping hickory 2.jpg
    topping hickory 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 57
  • topping hickory.jpg
    topping hickory.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 55
Take out the good points or cleanup after someone else did? I've done a lot of the leftovers. And only once screwed myself. Had to go up to set the rigging. Might as well strip it out on the way up, right? Got lost in the moment and took it back to the spar leaving one big section over the house. Made for a long day.

Back