The Official Work Pictures Thread

Oh, yeah...she was awesome...funny, smart, pretty, strong (stronger than Jethro!)
635558044724762872-01-raccoon.jpg

Great show, I believe most or all episodes are on youtube

Tall and skinny one there Gary. Great job, and excellent story. I think a ton of you for giving out the Nam Vet discount. Cool thing to do.

Jim: Nah... the adrenaline in their blood makes the meat pretty nasty. Just kidding, man, I don't know... prolly, who knows?? I should try it.

Ellie May looked good in jeans...just saying. A naive nice girl. Moving to Los Angeles could have messed her up. My grandmother was a real sourpuss, but the hillbillies had her in fits of laughter like I had never seen. Thankful for that show.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sBmYkXVteaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Japanese Maples forever. Probably 10 of them and a bunch of Oaks up in Kentfield, base of Mt Tam.
877e98e73477813f1bf2bf9f34c623a5.jpg

baa356c7129cc88d6c37a88d24f2e684.jpg

Monday should be cool. Zip line removal of a palm. Or I'm just gonna dump it in half in the back yard. Either way. Then I'm gonna stump grind it. Real treework is rad....

Yep, me too.
also, I can truthfully say the same about your's, Stephen:)

It's been scalding hot here the last few days and the sap is running like tap water from the long leaf pines. My son came out and took a couple of pics as we were bringing this one down. Pretty good timing on the wedge whack.
DSC_5111.jpg DSC_5115.jpg DSC_5118.jpg

Looks like a fine hinge hiding in the background there, Ray!

Coupla gear Q's- Do you prefer chaps over saw pants for the hot weather? Chaps perhaps hotter but they're removable. And speaking of hot weather gear, I would think cotton jeans would be horrendous to work in, you ever think of getting at least a synthetic blend, like Dickies for example? Are those Redwings on your feet, do you like em?

Thanks!

You are one observant dude Cory. I just wear chaps on the ground so being removable is what I like.
Yes the jeans are hot but tough as nails, some freebie fire retardants left over from the power company days. I wore Dickies for years but when wearing the FR became mandatory I got away from them.
Right again on the Redwings. They climb good for me with padded insoles. It will be time to buy another pair soon, curious as to what other climbers like best.

Good pix, Ray.
May I respectfully give you some loggers advice.
Don't kneel when falling a tree or even a spar.
If things go to hell you've no way to escape ( Unless you are Gary!)

The closest I've ever come to losing an apprentice was in a situation like the one in your picture.

Doing clean up after a major storm ( Actually THE major storm 1999 december, known here as "The storm of the century")
A spruce had it's top ripped off about 15 feet up, so Caspar goes and fells the remaining spar.
I'd already been berating him about how those can jump about when they hit something, and that he should not be standing around looking when they went over.
Get the hell out of there!
He felled it, stood around too long, and when it hit a hidden stump and rebounded, he got caught by some brambles and couldn't get away.
Damned thing jumped about 10 feet and just brushed by him as it came down. I honestly thought I'd lost him.

It is one movie I can still see in my mind.

So every time I see someone kneeling while felling a spar, it triggers that.

So,here goes:
Even with just a spar, make sure you have cleared a way to escape, and stand up while felling it.

Felling from kneeling position is safe imo, just don't be anywhere near the stump when the tree is going over, have a preplanned and prepped escape route.

Ray, they call jeans fire retardant even though they aren't a high tech material? Basically cuz they won't do any melting on you? Thanks.

Back