The Official Work Pictures Thread

Wow that is a big pine!!

Glad nothing or nobody got hurt Scott, probably wouldn't have happened if you had some one else pull and you kept cutting huh?

Outstanding pics all! Had the top previously broken out of that tree Stephen or did it just grow like that? It looks like that "golden pine" species is keeping you and Scott busy.

Cool pics Stephen and Williard.

Rich: Nice double-cut.

Biggun: Man that tree didn't look too thin at all to me.

Peter: Really good job... looked like a pretty technical fall in a tight shot. I'd never use sap-wood cuts where you could encounter any rotten heart-wood, but whatever you did looked like it worked perfect. Perfect hinge.

Outstanding pics all! Had the top previously broken out of that tree Stephen or did it just grow like that? It looks like that "golden pine" species is keeping you and Scott busy.

Some one had previously strapped a tv antenna to the original top, killing the top. So the tree tried to grow some new ones from the top limbs. The limbs get huge.

Wow that is a big pine!!

Glad nothing or nobody got hurt Scott, probably wouldn't have happened if you had some one else pull and you kept cutting huh?

Probably not, Paul, but with its side lean, I wanted plenty of hinge, and we tapped a wedge tight as I came around with the back cut. As I approached the hinge on the holding side, the wedge loosened. I cut a tad more on both sides, went to the truck and yanked it over, like I've done for 30 years now....still surprised me a bit that it made it so far over before splitting. I'd have expected it more had the notch been shallow and bottomed out, but that was not an issue. If I'd been able to afford a more favorable angle of pull, I'd have cut the hinge thinner, but I had no where to pull against the side lean, so counted on the hinge to overcome that.

Peter: Really good job... looked like a pretty technical fall in a tight shot. I'd never use sap-wood cuts where you could encounter any rotten heart-wood, but whatever you did looked like it worked perfect. Perfect hinge.

Thanks! In all seriousness I was making the cuts and thinking "make it like Jed's, make it like Jed, he'll be disappointed if I'm out a fraction"

I walked around, felt, looked over and talked to the tree to figure out how to get it down for half an hour. I stripped out the one side leaning over the house and brushed out a good portion of what was left, till I found a tangled hanger and much damage to the top. It did have a split, but not to where I was going to cut it, after shaving off the sides and tapping the trunk. I strapped it in case. The tree was only 50 or so feet, had a lean to where it should fall, I had access to the neighbours tree and set up a maasdam and used wedges. If I didn't have all those I would have topped it more and chunked it down, would have took much more time with the ground help I had.

Nice day grounding for two climbers.

Easy life.

Attachments

• IMG_20160421_205347.jpg
    IMG_20160421_205347.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20160421_205713.jpg
    IMG_20160421_205713.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20160421_122926.jpg
    20160421_122926.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 69
Cory that ice dam pic should be framed. Not the one I selfied in:lol:

Dumped a wee little load of chips at the horse ranch today. Nice to have a free close by place to dump.

20160421_155429.jpg 20160421_155513.jpg 20160421_155622.jpg

...If I didn't have all those I would have topped it more and chunked it down...

Gotta love having the pro stuff. Good job.

Here's another Cottonwood I fell today. Dang thing just went with the lean... darned Cottonwoods...

unnamed-684.jpg

:lol:
You should have chewed more side angle to the lean there Jed.

Man, I should try to dig up this vid that used to be on the internet a few years ago. This beaver falls a pretty good sized Aspen or something on is buddy who was workin the strip along side of him. He appearantly didn't get hurt, but he looked pretty ticked. It was part of an amazing documentary on beavers.

Back