The Official Work Pictures Thread

Not sure, but my wedges tend to spit out much less this way than when stacked straight on each other

Think I'm falling some trees Friday, I'll try to get video. I thought everyone knew that :dur: funny how little tricks can be so interesting.
Mushroomed heads don't matter with this trick either

My wedges get beat up, and I keep using them, until I break them, back-chaining the mushrooming off. Mushrooming, IME, is the biggest issue with shifting wedges. The middle of the wedge doesn't get beat up much, retaining a lot of surface area contact.

Is the the trade-off is not being able to drive them fully, criss crossed? With stacked wedges, you have room to continue to pound wedges past the back edge of the tree, even shaving the back wood off, if needed, in order to get the final tip, in a very unusual circumstance.

Another tool in the box. I'll have to give that a try. I had a stack spit out on a spar last Saturday. Luckily I had a second stack in already. Thanks for the trick

I don't buy those hard plastic wedges, mine seem to have more nylon maybe.
Jay, I snug them lightly and then progressively a little harder. Can't really wail on them till they're well into the tree.

Good tip, Willie. Interesting on the softer wedges. They sell them here as pretty standard, big yellow, the softer ones, but I have always bought the harder ones from the states. I didn't think that there could be advantage in softer wedges. I'll try making a hardhead junior out of one and see how it goes. Making hardheads with my mortiser is fun, just kind of stinks up the shop.

Stump grinding

5f43059ec09a0f75e0a1abd8d8b9d0d0.jpg
aa00ac7f63e44cf2ca583e23ca176cf0.jpg
a6550de637a836c16592a355159bf124.jpg

ef849e12c0a354b39f3bc40d87d69be2.jpg

Cant wait to see more shots!

How do you like that grinder, go into detail please! Thanks.

Is it powerful, reliable, durable,maneuverable, easy to use, chip capacity, operator visibility to the stump, 4wd? What engine, Deutz? How does it stack up to other machines you've run.

Yeah, 60hp Duetz. Remote controlled so visibility is great. Not 4x4. 1 bolt to pull off outer duals so that's nice. Traction isn't good but I like everything else about it. More power is always better, haven't run one with more power.

60 hp is nice. Does the engine stay level while the cutter head changes height or does it go up and down too? Hows the chip capacity. How many hours so far. How long did that big old rock-hard looking stump take? Thanks Willie.

Yes, stays level. I don't know what you mean by chip capacity. I left when I loaded the truck, not sure how long but I'd guess an hour and a half to grind. Not sure of the hours on it

Back