The Official Work Pictures Thread

So far so good other than our huge hydraulic leak. You know it's bad when we show up with a tarp, a drain pan, bottle of dish soap and a bucket of sawdust.

Crane is in my shop now ready for me to drop the "swivel" for resealing
Cool, glad you're not tearing them up! Still got the swivel brain torn out of it?

Today I took the electric swivel off in preparation for tomorrow dropping the hydro one. Geez had to take off something like 30 wires today and pull them through the center of the hydro swivel. I sure hope we got it all straight with our tagging system of this pig may never move again. Other sucky thing is you need to raise the boom to remove the electric swivel ...... So Im working outside...

328452cd903e7eca4017d3c6f6ef44b5.jpg
b185e63108b243442a77c7aa3fa286cb.jpg
00977fe4a12cf22246593548260682df.jpg

I wasn't feeling up to climbing solo, especially the trees to be pruned, especially at this site overhanging the road.

Instead, hung and swung two dead madrone with the Belay Spool, solo. A lot of loose dead stuff to knock onto myself when climbing this maple on Monday, so I did some throw line deadwooding, and finally got a throw line for the next climbing session's high TIP. Dialing in the APTA.

Last edited:
I was stocked that I could fit the crane in the shop period, I want to keep her there for the winter months with a lil heat on to keep her cozy. 20 year old crane, she needs a lot of TLC I think. Next thing I want to address is start replacing all the plastic air lines.

What I really need to do is hire a mechanic who doesn't mind being a ground once in a while:lol:

Paul, was this a surprise leak, or was it disclosed at the time of sale?

And, what is the purpose of that small loop welded into the frame of the Wraptor, near the spark plug boot?

It wasn't disclosed, when it showed up that was one of the first things I noticed was that leak. It has gotten a lot worse in the past month. I have about 4 more crane jobs on the books and would have liked to have got them out the way before tearing into it but I am embarrassed to use it now as it leaks so bad.

The ring on the top handle is for what Willie said, clip the lanyard biner into and use the lanyard as a shoulder strap to carry.

We had a stretch of line with a lot of trees to remove, so we brought in a little help.
A forwarder with a felling head.
That'll yield some 300 m3 chips, which will more than pay for the line clearing.

P1020096.JPG P1020097.JPG

Powerplant.
Since we got our leftist government, they have been trying to leesen our dependency on Arab oil and started several biomass poweplants.
So chips are worth quite a bit here, now.
Those 300 m3 should yield somewhere around 10 grand.
Even with paying off the forwarder and chipper it is a good deal.

Wow, I really hope that can make its way over here someday. A lot of people have to pay to dispose of chips here, it would be really nice to be paid for them. Are there regulations on the chip size or quality?

Water content.
They take samples and subtract the water. They only pay for dry weight.
I have an order for some 500 m3 from the forest next to my house.
We'll thin some cypress and fir and leave the felled trees over the summer, then chip them.
Brings the water content way down.
The big power plants can eat anything, but they don't like wet chips in summer, when they aren't going full out on the burners, so they get stockpiled for winter use.

Wow Stig so if my math is correct for every load of chips on my big chip truck (27 yards) I would get about $600 :|: I pay to get rid of it....
1.jpg
Today was going well, nice weather, no frozen bolts, until we realized the $570 seal kit for my swivel was short by 4 teflon seals. Shoot. We could have had it back in today and I could have buttoned it up tomorrow. Now Ive got to source more seals and order, have them shipped. Awesome since they are calling for snow Tuesday:(

stig how do they get the water outta the chips, seems like they would never dry left in a pile

I understood it that he cut trees ahead of time so they could dry as trees then chip. The power co. holds onto wet chips till periods of high demand so they can burn a huge burn so as to burn the wetter chips.

Limb and topped this pondo, left high TIP and worked down this nasty rotten oak...nice day

Back