The Official Work Pictures Thread

Scot, who is running ropes for you on that red oak removal?

Because it was done really good IMO:)

You sure taught her well.

Thank you, Sir, I do think she does well. (And I'm gonna miss her being there after she gets married in 2 weeks...):cry:

In her favor on that particular job was the fact that the lowering line was run through a fork in the neighboring water oak, rather far out on it, and it was giving remarkably each time a limb swung into it. I had set a friction saver high in the main fork of the water oak for my climb line, and with each piece, I could feel the water oak sway an appreciable amount as it reacted to the weight. It was interesting to say the least. I had a block set in a lower fork for the lower chunks of trunk that didn't have to swing but a few feet to clear the shed roof.

Nice work, both Scot and porkbrick (sorry man, I don't know your name yet!). Good videos.

name is Jaime Rumination, thanks. Paul, yes it is the oar. i have it on loan from Gordon. i really like it, tho there are some things i think could be improved. once you adjust it for your rope it runs super smooth both up and down and it is really easy to attach midline.

Nice job, Scott.

I've think I've asked you before, but you have experience with using the porty directly as a lowering point from the tree right? How does it work. I was thinking of getting a medium and put it on a loopie for working out of the bucket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How does it work? A portawrap? Really???

I must be missing something...

Portawraps work! :rockon:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, using it aloft is a new thing? That's news to me.

I've done it, but I usually use a descender with ears.

Nice job, Scott.

I've think I've asked you before, but you have experience with using the porty directly as a lowering point from the tree right? How does it work. I was thinking of getting a medium and put it on a loopie for working out of the bucket.

Works great, IMO, depending on the situation of course. It helps a lot when ground help is limited. When only one of my daughters is there, I can lower to them and they can pull the limb as needed and then untie, whereas they could not handle lowering AND pulling by themselves. With the medium porty and 9/16" Stable Braid, a fair size limb can be tied off, two wraps taken, and the limb will "float" down, belayed by the weight of the rope itself. Small limbs run nicely with one wrap. I figure it would work great with a bucket. Downside is that you have to flip the wrap(s) off before the rope can be yarded back up. (You can't leave it in position above you...you have to be able to reach it). You can leave the leg captured in the eye however, until there is a need to take it out.

I really like the BMS for limbs up to about 500#. 1/2" rope is about max for it though. Between the two, it's a hard call as I use them for different things. In my poplar speedline video, I used the medium up top and lowered chunks down while my daughter held tension on the speedline to guide them out to the landing zone. That way I could handle the lowering while she handled the speedline.

Back