The Official Work Pictures Thread

That pointed gullet is just going to catch resistance. I think race chains might work so well because there's so much extra room around the teeth for chips to go. Kinda like how a hand saw plugs up easily. It rakes well enough, but there's no more room for chips to go.

Those chips have to get under the chain somehow. It's happening in the clutch cover. Need a vacuum or something hooked up to it, or more distance between the sprocket and tail of the bar for the chips to fall out before getting sent back through.

When the chips get pulled through the rails, they wipe the oil off which further slows things down. I have a well oiling ported 590 seize after every cut in an Ash log because tons of chips would wipe the oil out and cram into the groove. I had to let it rev after the cut for several seconds to let it clear the chips and re-oil before I could let the chain stop, and the pump was maxed out to empty the tank before the gas.

Someone somewhere was filing the back of the teeth inline, and up to the witness mark. I think the claim was a faster cut, and better chip clearance. I didn't pay super close attention, so I don't know what the real world results were, but if you felt like playing, you might want to play with that. Too much work for me.

That pointed gullet is just going to catch resistance. I think race chains might work so well because there's so much extra room around the teeth for chips to go. Kinda like how a hand saw plugs up easily. It rakes well enough, but there's no more room for chips to go.

Those chips have to get under the chain somehow. It's happening in the clutch cover. Need a vacuum or something hooked up to it, or more distance between the sprocket and tail of the bar for the chips to fall out before getting sent back through.

When the chips get pulled through the rails, they wipe the oil off which further slows things down. I have a well oiling ported 590 seize after every cut in an Ash log because tons of chips would wipe the oil out and cram into the groove. I had to let it rev after the cut for several seconds to let it clear the chips and re-oil before I could let the chain stop, and the pump was maxed out to empty the tank before the gas.
That gullet peak can't catch anything. There are two rakers raking in front of it. The cutter is behind it and not cutting. It's in the center of the chain side to side so it can't drag on the sides of the kerf.

On a vertical bucking cut, the chips continuously fall on the chain and are ejected. Never any chips left in the kerf. unless the side cutter is dull and not fully severing the fibers. On a horizontal cut, there is often a pile of chips left in the kerf. Some easter fallers intentionally fill the kerf with chips to prevent bind when slick stumping (no hinge). I'm reasonably certain that the chips are getting in the bar in the kerf, not the clutch cover, but some testing would tell for sure.

Oregon :

Why File Gullet?​

Approximately every fifth sharpening, you will need to clean out the gullets by filing them back with a 7/32" round file. File gullets from the inside-out (the side opposite direction than sharpening), and always leave a 1/8" shelf behind the gullet. If you do not clean the gullets regularly, the outer edge will eventually prevent the working corners of your cutters from getting an adequate bite into the wood.

Someone somewhere was filing the back of the teeth inline, and up to the witness mark. I think the claim was a faster cut, and better chip clearance. I didn't pay super close attention, so I don't know what the real world results were, but if you felt like playing, you might want to play with that. Too much work for me.
Clipping the heels, might try it. Easy with a grinder and aggressive CBN wheel. Supposed to make boring smoother too I think. Kinda more of a race thing where they want the chips to flow through the chain. I'm going the other way. I want the chain to grab the chips and spit them out.

In some species here I have trouble with the chips stalling the chain like safety chaps. Partly operator error, not pulling the saw in and out like western fallers do to clear chips.
View attachment 136734
View attachment 136735View attachment 136736

@stikine I got a few 36” once used loops for $16 a piece and it’s good stihl chain which is important in the hard/dirty wood I cut so I’m having fun. On the others I just nipped the xtra rakers off.

Maybe I posted this already:

In this case I think it was mostly irrelevant cuz the chain is so short and wasn’t horizontal.

Skip tooth really helps on bars longer than 24” with chip clearance and that sprocket looks a little worn wide. Best replace before it jams up.

That gullet peak can't catch anything. There are two rakers raking in front of it. The cutter is behind it and not cutting. It's in the center of the chain side to side so it can't drag on the sides of the kerf.

On a vertical bucking cut, the chips continuously fall on the chain and are ejected. Never any chips left in the kerf. unless the side cutter is dull and not fully severing the fibers. On a horizontal cut, there is often a pile of chips left in the kerf. Some easter fallers intentionally fill the kerf with chips to prevent bind when slick stumping (no hinge). I'm reasonably certain that the chips are getting in the bar in the kerf, not the clutch cover, but some testing would tell for sure.

Oregon :

Why File Gullet?​

Approximately every fifth sharpening, you will need to clean out the gullets by filing them back with a 7/32" round file. File gullets from the inside-out (the side opposite direction than sharpening), and always leave a 1/8" shelf behind the gullet. If you do not clean the gullets regularly, the outer edge will eventually prevent the working corners of your cutters from getting an adequate bite into the wood.
How do the chips get in the kerf on a horizontal cut? Surely you've seen chips shooting out the top front of the clutch cover and bouncing off the log. It's really noticeable when noodling, because if you don't back the power head away from the log some, so the noodles don't pile up against the log, they pile up against the log and cause the cover to fill and jam things up (if there's not enough HP to keep cutting through it all). If chips get shot out the front above the chain, how many are getting stuffed between the rails by the drive links. Nothing should push the chain on the actively cutting side (usually the lower) away from the bar for chips to collect there, but if they get forced under the chain from the tail end of the bar, it makes perfect sense.

As far as the little peak in the gullet having nothing to catch, neither should the tie straps and top of the DL's, but race chains use the dog bone shaping, why? It might just be to save weight while maintaining strength so the chain can speed up faster, but maybe it is to reduce friction? That would be a good question for the racers.

The tip-side of the rubbing trunk.

20240304_160426.jpg

Rigging the two halves of the fork past the rub that are above one another. The small branch to the right was a freebie/free-drop.

20240304_160423.jpg

Ay, there's the rub.
(Anyone? Anyone?)
20240304_154212.jpg

Today's job, get deeper into the oak crown. No groundworker tomorrow... she's back on Thursday.

20240304_141456.jpg

I climbed up in my crisscross for a better look. Lemme see if I took more pics

Nope. Just examples of deep grooved back with sand blown in. Needle nests. Like snow can be deceiving, can’t tell what you’re stepping on.

IMG_5656.jpeg

Why the regrowth must be kept small :
IMG_5653.jpeg

I can’t believe these regrowth stems haven’t broken off

IMG_5652.jpeg

50mph skidder 😁

IMG_5651.jpeg

Yeah, the wind blown sand can be misery. I did some work in a place called Stevenson down in the valley. Sand blows right into the homes. every nook and cranny. Pruning some large mulberrys. Well. That sucked. "why the hell is my saw dulling up here? Maybe wire or something?"
Oh no. Sand in the bark and such. Misery.

Yeah, the wind blown sand can be misery. I did some work in a place called Stevenson down in the valley. Sand blows right into the homes. every nook and cranny. Pruning some large mulberrys. Well. That sucked. "why the hell is my saw dulling up here? Maybe wire or something?"
Oh no. Sand in the bark and such. Misery.
Makes me wonder if a scratcher type chain would be best in such a scenario , besides carbide, or a carbide scratcher chain. At least you could more easily lever thin dull pointy teeth into the wood than a wide dull top plate.

For this job, absolutely. However. 65 plusfooter would have set up on the first group of trees better. The road shoulder was soft as all get out. Could have used the paved encroachment with that little bit of extra reach.

Back