The Official Work Pictures Thread

We are taking a short break from logging to balance our Karma out by planting 30000 new trees.
Sitka spruce right now.
We are trying out something new.
Each plant gets a shot of granulate down to the roots as we plant it.
It releases nutrients, mostly Nitrogen, slowly enough not to cause scorching of the root tips, but enhances the growth of both Mykorrhiza and roots.
We are eksperimenting with ways to incorporate the dispenser into the planting spade.
@Burnham you have lots of reforestation experience, ever come across something like this?

Fine crisp weather, just the kind of day that recharges ones batteries.

2022-11-18 09.06.54.jpg 2022-11-18 09.07.26.jpg 2022-11-18 09.07.45.jpg 2022-11-18 09.08.13.jpg

We are taking a short break from logging to balance our Karma out by planting 30000 new trees.
Sitka spruce right now.
It releases nutrients, mostly Nitrogen, slowly enough not to cause scorching of the root tips, but enhances the growth of both Mykorrhiza and roots.
We are eksperimenting with ways to incorporate the dispenser into the planting spade.
@Burnham you have lots of reforestation experience, ever come across something like this?

stig, did that ground get some sort of scarifier treatment prior to your planting? It looks like it to me.

@
Sitka spruce right now.

View attachment 124874View attachment 124875View attachment 124876View attachment 124877
@stig, nope, we never did anything of that nature with our tree planting. Looks like a right royal pain in the patootie. Your dispenser looks like a decent try at a system to make it a bit less so :).

@

@stig, nope, we never did anything of that nature with our tree planting. Looks like a right royal pain in the patootie. Your dispenser looks like a decent try at a system to make it a bit less so :).
I'm not a planting expert at all, but we have experimented with putting fertilizer tablets in the root hole with the root system. We don't have to do much planting around here because most is natural seeding.

@

According to tests, it should cut a year off the time, we need to help the trees with herbicides and weedwacking.
It is not so bad, cuts maybe 200 off my daily 1000 plants, the forester feels it will be well worth it if it really works as advertized.
We'll do every second row in some areas, to test it.
I suggested we do a real double-blind test and plant every 3rd row blindfolded.

The reason I'm so completely swamped with work is we have finally got this district as client.
One of the bigger ones on the Island, owned by an old royal foundation.
The new forester ( 2½ years on the job) is a former apprentice of mine, who went on and studied to become a forester, while working part time for me.
The guy who was in charge of everything couldn't handle that we had a prior relationship, felt I'd be given special treatment.
He retired this summer and the new one said: " So you guys know each other well, that is great!"

Since the forests have been neglected badly by the old boss, and the new dynamic team have big plans about changing that, we'll have lots of thinning, planting and logging there.
All the hazard trees that kept me busy was at that district.

Last edited:
stig, did that ground get some sort of scarifier treatment prior to your planting? It looks like it to me.

Yep.
Ponsse Bufallo with two tilted "gear" wheels on the back end.
I can't find a picture.
Will remember to take one next time I come across the machine.
Belongs to the same guy whoes company does all our forwarding.
He runs 11 forwarders, 2 harvesters , 1 feller buncher and the big forwarder with the grapple saw that I use for hazard trees.
We get most of our logging, because he recommends us near and far.

Deva, are the bands just for the aesthetic factor re spur holes b/c my armchair understanding is that spur holes don't hurt palms?

Back