The Official Work Pictures Thread

Battling wet weather and a resurgence of Covid here, my groundie is is out for a week or so. It's being treated like having the flu, just don't come to work sick.
Playing with fire. American scientists have created a deadly version of the coronavirus.

Ria.ru
At the National Laboratory of Infectious Diseases of Boston University, a spike-like protein from omicron was attached to the original Wuhan strain of SARS-CoV—2 and a coronavirus variant with an unprecedented mortality rate of 80 percent was obtained. The development was funded by the US government as part of the Expanded Potential Pandemic Pathogen Research (ePPP) program.

For the same purpose as Covid 19 View attachment 125060 Interestingly, all topics related to Covid are blocked for me...
If you will notice, nobody has been able to reply to any post in this section for the last 2 years. Carl got tired of the political arguing (in a subforum specifically for politics) and closed it to everyone. :|:
It's called philosophy forum now. Post all covid, religion, and politics there.

Eyeball distance. There is a guy in the bucket truck and he had a better angle than I do to see. I’m not really having much deflection as everything is coming down pretty light. The bad ones are done. It’s getting easier from here on.

Pulled 2 dead firs with soft sides. Laminated Root Disease pocket in tall firs.

These 2 were near the road and smaller. Maybe around 28" diameters at the cut. Staining in the stump can be seen is a characteristic way, as fungi make their way into the butt from the roots.

20221130_134755.jpg

The stub that got smacked is also around 28" at the cut. It is the butt of an uprooted tree that shows the characteristic decay pattern in the wood of in the butt. These are sapwood-rotted, but when cut green, above around 6 ' it is totally solid timber.
20221130_130508.jpg 20221130_130415.jpg

Above, one big one is tipped into another big one, bending it significantly.

Attachments

• 20221130_130409.jpg
    20221130_130409.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221130_134751.jpg
    20221130_134751.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just curious, you think that land was logged/clear cut sometime in the distant past?

Absolutely, nothing bigger than 4' DBH. Could be third-growth trees. Olympia was settled in the early/ middle 1800s, incorporating in the 1850's. This is a waterfront property. Easy logging, going downhill to the Puget Sound.

My peninsula produces a lot of nice doug-fir logs, presently. Cedar can be very good, but by its nature of shade-tolerance, has more knots.

River birch are cool trees. I wouldn't mind getting some, but I'm running out of room. The premium spot for them was taken by the dawn redwood.

Back