The Official Work Pictures Thread

I'm back from the first week of logging Beech on Island Møn in the worst heat wave this country has ever experienced......................not fun!

We had 2 over large trees and since we had 2 apprentices down there, we decided to let them fall them.
The owner said: " under close supervision, I hope?"
Yep, I was on them every step.

The first one turned out to be infected by Kretzschmaria deusta and had hardly any sound wood at all.
So we set as thich a hinge as possible and put a relief cut into it ( See: triple hinge)

Second one was co dominant, so had to land squarely on both tops in order not to split the extremely valuable log.

So 2 tricky falls, where the trees had to hit a small lay or ruin a lot of other, smaller trees.

They both pulled it off perfectly...........100 points out of 100 possible.

So we had 2 apprentices walking VERY tall when they set off for weekend.
The pictures will make their class mates green with envy when they go back to the forestry school.

P1090095.JPG P1090103.JPG P1090122.JPG P1090143.JPG P1090162.JPG P1090179.JPG P1090186.JPG P1090189.JPG P1090188.JPG

Stig, I didn't know, or had forgotten, you are a fan of the triple hinge

HUGE fan!
It has worked wonders for me.
Took a side leaning Beech out with it wednesday.
Didn't go quite where I would have liked it to, but also nowhere where it wanted to go.
Tore the root flare and root completely out of the ground.

Sorry about no pics.
It was the hottest day ever recorded in Denmark, we were literally dead on our feet.

Excellent!

Did I spy some steel wedges in there?

Magnesium or Aluminum.

I have another small outfit subbing for me on this job.
The Hardheads were mine.

After their apprentice felled that tree under my close supervision and with complete success, he came up to me and said I was a great teacher, and he wished, he was apprenticing with me.
Warms the heart, that doses.

I have another outfit subbing for me up North in the State forest.
Lots of irons in the fire right now.

Had a new apprentice pass the usual 40 meter high job interview friday.
He'll start with me shortly.

He is apprenticed to a private forest, that apparently couldn't find a Polack or Romanian to do all the shit work for almost free, so they took on an apprentice instead.
After meeting my apprentice at school and hearing about and seeing pictures of what my apprentices get to do, he called me and asked if he could switch over.

@stig How far in do you plunge the bore cuts for a triple hinge, approx 1/2 diameter of trunk? And I presume you gut the center so do you simply plunge into the gutted center?

Exactly!
The thing to watch out for is how the fibers run.
If you cut through the fibers, it become worthless.
So I don't always make the cuts vertical, if I'm falling a log and have to set a low stump.

For a low stump you might not use the triple hinge and instead use simply a gutted hinge and normal back cut?

Or look which way the fibers go and follow them with the relief cuts.

Magnesium or Aluminum.

I have another small outfit subbing for me on this job.
The Hardheads were mine.

After their apprentice felled that tree under my close supervision and with complete success, he came up to me and said I was a great teacher, and he wished, he was apprenticing with me.
Warms the heart, that doses.

I have another outfit subbing for me up North in the State forest.
Lots of irons in the fire right now.

Had a new apprentice pass the usual 40 meter high job interview friday.
He'll start with me shortly.

He is apprenticed to a private forest, that apparently couldn't find a Polack or Romanian to do all the shit work for almost free, so they took on an apprentice instead.
After meeting my apprentice at school and hearing about and seeing pictures of what my apprentices get to do, he called me and asked if he could switch over.
The right most wedge looks to have a lot of lift in it's shape. Is that normal for some of those alu/mag wedges y'all use? I've never seen one here shaped like that. A difficult shape to drive.

After the fall, I showed the kid how his wedge had compressed the wood instead of lifting it, by being too narrow and with way too much lift.
Worthless in my opinion.
At least for big trees.

I think his company will switch to hardhead .
They have already adopted my nylon shims and praised me for inventing them.

I gave 3 to the owner this winter after he had asked about them, seeing my crew using them.

Of course I should have called them "X-shims" and charged a fortune.

Today I bought a used trailer for hauling my loader. I bought the 6x12 dump trailer before the loader was delivered, thinking I was going to haul it with my pickup and the dump trailer would allow me to haul debris as well. That lasted all of 3 weeks before I bought the F350 dump truck. Now after almost a year the 6x12 dump trailer is too small, too heavy and too tall. I picked up this 7x16 car carrier trailer for $2200 and will put another $5-600 into it. I have $9000 in the dump trailer plus modifications for loader attachments, thinking I can get $7500 out of it.

00101_22YJuVqEqUrz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg IMG_0377.JPG

I never really utilized a speedline in my climbing days, either. Seemed like it was always faster just to piece it out and throw the pieces. By the time you spend 20 minutes setting it up and explaining to the ground crew what to do, I could have had it on the ground by myself without their help.

Around me, speedline opportunities are few and far netween (work in too many tree-crowded and/or obstacle filled yards).

Back