The Official Work Pictures Thread

Andrey would you believe that in certain places in the US you would be arrested by police for doing such a thing !
I believe! In the USA, they can be arrested for anything! :) I work only when I have documents and a work permit. If the Russian police arrive, I will show them all these documents, and everything will be OK.

Reactions: Jed
Last edited:
It is just hedge trimming on a larger scale.
Nothing wrong with that.

It is an interestingt tradition, keeping trees like that, which I haven't seen outside of Andreij's pictures.
Makes a lot of sense to me, being able to keep city trees at a fixed size.

Crusty, brittle, don't lean on alder, over a fence. 20220217_120532.jpg 20220217_120529.jpg 20220217_120526.jpg

Forest alder barberchair. Butted into the tree behind. Bore-cut. A bit too thick of a hinge...field goal over a vine maple and 2 bamboo, around a maple to be removed soon. Snapped off a maple lead into the forest/ community greenbelt.
Very minimal cleanup.

20220217_164043.jpg 20220217_164055.jpg 20220217_164103.jpg 16452097880801462384917004848725.jpg

Back of the hinge...dead on the pith. Shallow face. More tension wood making the pith a bit forwa 16452099162148609636619242714164.jpg
Faced the direction I'm pointing.

Coincidental checking in the stump???

Last edited:
Well Sean... Good job going home without a broken leg is all I can say on that one. I am scared of alders.

Rajan: Nice.You never fail to put up some really impressive work.

East Coast Sean Ruel: I really miss working with you. I am slightly jealous of East Coast life in Maine. Sven looks like an awesome guy to work with, and you are giving me brand new ideas RE cork boots.

Maximalist: we all owe you rather heavily for the content that you continually get in here. I could almost feel like I am all layered up in Saint Petersburg dragging branches to dispose of for you. Thank you so much.

I am now a 50-year-old man who is on the couch recovering from a double hernia surgery which was done by an endoscopic procedure, and so, will return to work Monday, God willing, for another two weeks of “light duty.” 😂 Are there any other old farts out there who have had to undergo a surgical procedure to repair a hernia? I would be all ears. Mine is called, “inguinal hernia.” (I had the polypropylene mesh.)

Last edited:
Sean, you should see the alders we have here. Dry, crispy that can break off at the root crown if you pull on them even after a notch and mostly back cut. I never seen hinge fiber pull like that on ours.

Well Sean... Good job going home without a broken leg is all I can say on that one. I am scared of alders.

Rajan: Nice.You never fail to put up some really impressive work.

East Coast Sean Ruel: I really miss working with you. I am slightly jealous of East Coast life in Maine. Sven looks like an awesome guy to work with, and you are giving me brand new ideas RE cork boots.

Maximalist: we all owe you rather heavily for the content that you continually get in here. I could almost feel like I am all layered up in Saint Petersburg dragging branches to dispose of for you. Thank you so much.

I am now a 50-year-old man who is on the couch recovering from a double hernia surgery which was done by an endoscopic procedure, and so, will return to work Monday, God willing, for another two weeks of “light duty.” 😂 Are there any other old farts out there who have had to undergo a surgical procedure to repair a hernia? I would be all ears. Mine is called, “inguinal hernia.” (I had the polypropylene mesh.)
Jed, I hope you get well soon, friend. You tend to underrate yourself because you also post a heck of a lot of awesome content here.

I've never had a hernia but you all have read about all my various aches and pains. I tend to complain a lot when I get hurt and it seems to happen often for me. 56 here but feel older.

Agreed on all counts. My head would explode if I had to do that job.
Jad, thank you for your positive assessment of my modest contribution to the Tree House. From communicating with my friends who have undergone inguinal hernia surgery, I know that you need to avoid any work and physical exertion (load no more than 3 kg) for 2 months. Those of my friends who neglected these factors underwent repeated surgery to remove an inguinal hernia.I wish you a speedy recovery. To be healthy, you don't need to strain yourself.

I had my first introduction to alder this week. The only cut that seemed to give me a modicum of hinge time and control was a wide open face. Everything else was snap BANG!

Ever tried them frozen?
Back in the late 70es we had some really cold winters here.
Someone came up with the weirs idea of marketing Red alder as "Danish mahogany"
So the mills were buying Alder left and right and the extreme cold meant we could get into the swampy areas where they grow.

Felling frozen Alder is like........

Ping!

The whole thing died off after a couple of years.
Back to Alder only being good for smoking Herring..

The bore-cut/ back release didn't allow chasing the backcut/ thinning the hinge.

I left it too thick and it pulled a lot of fiber.

Thanks brothers, and yeah Stig, If you ever smoke (or even cook) a Salmon over Red Alder, you’ll pretty much die and go to Heaven. Btw, guess what they recently learned in Valhalla: That a thousand years ago, the Swedes used to beat the living smoke out of conifers every year, (with an old branch or something, as high as they could reach from ladders)... during late spring, they would basically beat the sap out of the cambium, let the tree heal, and then do this every year for like 15 years, and then fall that pig in the winter, and then saw all of the “fat-wood,” (pitch-wood) up into 20’ long dimensional lumber!

My friend John Simonson was telling me about this over dinner, so I will try to fact check and get some references. He said there are some 800 year old churches in Sweden whose timbers almost look as if they were sawn out of a non-native wood. But it was just fat wood apparently. The timber is almost completely impervious to decay, which I can attest to from cutting down the odd, old growth Fir pipe out here, which can exhibit a massive central plug of sap-soaked heartwood,... I have hypothesized that this is just the ring-shake which occurs in the transition between the annums of old growth and second growth Fir stands.

I will try to get some photographic evidence up in the House in the ensuing years, before I am too old to do any more tree work.

The way I have heard it , they ringed the trees a generation before using them..
Stavkirkerne are in Norway.
When I get on the computer, Ixll post some pix.

Also trees with Tyrri Top. Pine Rust Blister is a fungus that is airbourne and is all over the Scots Pine here in Norway. Historical boat building mentions the same, damage to the tree allows the tree to be further infected or increases the spread of the fungus. It basically saturates the cells with resin till it girdles the stem or branch.

Once ready the wood is cleaved, the main stem was used for boat building as it already had high waterproof properties and therefore ideal for the hulls.

Back