The Official Work Pictures Thread

That was cool, Rich... thanks. Nice vid too.

Cory: Man, I deeply appreciate the empathy, but... I dunno... I guess I'll just say... he's a boss. He's afraid that I'm gonna get fired, because they have to write me up on a SPVN (safe-practice, working violation) every time there is more than $500.00 in damage, AND EVERY TIME ANY DISGRUNTLED DRIVER HAPPENS TO BE HAVING A BAD DAY, AND SO CALL'S THE NUMBER FOR THE LITTLE, "How's my driving?" STICKER THAT THEY HANG ON THE BACK OF OUR TRUCKS. Our other removal guy quit to make more money at another co. about 9 months ago, so I've had to do almost everything. I go, "Roy... if--I don't know if she does-- but IF your wife did absolutely ALL of the dishes in your house, would you (upon hearing a glass get broken) just march right in there, and go, 'ya know, woman... you break more dishes than anyone in this entire family'"? He laughed a little-bit. I gotta feeling that the whole "SPVN," thing is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors anyways.... if they'd a wanted to have canned me, I gotta feeling they'd a dunnit WAAAAY before now. We'll see. I'm at the point where I could care less if I have to go work somewhere else. I've got halfa mind to go single-jack like Reg and them guys. I respect them dudes more than they know. As it was, the window only ended up being, like $275.00 er somethin, so they didn't sweat it.

Say gents... take a good look at this back leaner, though. Photos suck, I know... but what would you guys have done?? This freakin Maple, man. Just take a look at this back-leaner into the house.

unnamed-1373.jpg unnamed-1374.jpg

I well knew that I could expect a good, little-bit a rot, so I re-directed the bull-rope to the truck, hung a three-strand for our Masdaam, and ANOTHER three-strand 90 degree retainer for the side-lean. Still, though... when I cut-up the face, I was like, "Ruh Row," (Scoobie)

unnamed-1375.jpg

I cut-up the back and started to bang wedges. (Mind you... I had like an inch of actual wood on my tension side keeping it off of the house) I smacked the wedges like, a few more times while I still had like, five inches on my tension side when she really started talkin. I freaked-out and just had Joe rip it off the stump with my truck. Perfect shot, but I'm not sure I'd have done this stem this way again. Thing is: I'd been zip-lining 1000 lb chunks down on the x-rings off of this thing all day just to get er short enough to fall. Not sure I'd do that again either. What would you guys do? unnamed-1372.jpg

Dave inspects my holding-wood...

unnamed-1376.jpg

Pig was like, dang-near four feet on the stump.

unnamed-1377.jpg

Lived to tell the tale. Good Job.

Any conks on it?

What would I do?
Bore into the tree before climbing. Drill the tree before climbing. Bang on the tree.
Cut a small face and look inside the tree before committing to your hinge wood.

Maybe peel/ shave the bark at the hinge for a good look before committing.

Definitely back-leaning some, but lots of leverage, if you had a good angle of pull.

Seems like a quick pull with the truck, instead of wedging was a good call.

A pipe will have almost as much tensile strength as a solid rod of the same diameter. All your strength is in the outer ring. As long as you have a strong pipe it doesn't matter so much what's missing in the middle. When the outer ring is compromised then you have something to worry about.

Our other removal guy quit to make more money at another co. about 9 months ago, so I've had to do almost everything... if they'd a wanted to have canned me, I gotta feeling they'd a dunnit WAAAAY before now.

You are probably right. If you leave, their production will grind down to very little until they eventually find someone to fill your 14$ boots. There's folks out there that can do it, they're just real hard to find.

Jed that is such a weird concept to me that they have a system in place to single out bad employees. Guys it makes sense for large co.s . If I frig something up I fix it. Always have even when I worked for somebody else. Ive fixed many a fence, tore plywood off a roof to replace it and put on a new shingle roof, relandscaped a whole bank as it slid when a crane tried to back up it. I HATE fixing shit! Couple months back Robbie was in a dead ass tree and a 4' tip broke out a piece and hit her gutter. Im thinking no big deal as it was falling but the whole gutter and fascia word fell of! Turned out the gutters where never cleaned, full of compost and the trusses were rotten where the rain had backed up. I paid a buddy to scab onto the trusses and replace fascia board and gutter.

Guess I just cant fathom working for somebody else. You have too many skills to put up with their shit. Don't know your location but Id go it on my own, something to be said for being your own man and not having to kiss anybodies ass.

Had a few this evening so just saying

Double crotching a long leaning oak leader... Nothing to stand on for the first 30 or so feet of it. Dead wood and mistletoe.
Just shot my lines in and traversed over.

Attachments

• IMG952297.jpg
    IMG952297.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG952298.jpg
    IMG952298.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG952299.jpg
    IMG952299.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG952300.jpg
    IMG952300.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG952301.jpg
    IMG952301.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG952302.jpg
    IMG952302.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 45
8a7cf3be486ea2e098a97ce8e00b96b1.jpg
ac5ba52b04ac4aeeb5265fe99476e930.jpg
86dc4e78a2d56c95951c70f0c4c54205.jpg
131e003788329fd9b1c81efeac39a5fc.jpg
Had a lady balk at my pruning price, when I didn't budge she said "well, if you'll climb my tree I'll hire you". So today I got to put down my coffee cup and prince this big ol blue atlas. It had some loong limbs.
c6f069018ba89b580724340bdfc834b6.jpg

Got there a little after 9, left at 1. Me and a new climber did most of it, foreman came back from a small removal and I set him in the last slice of pie.

Two climbers helps big time. One guy would have been quite the day for.
I love how you can over lap the work with two in a tree that will accommodate more than one climber. Makes the job go fast and less fatigue. Play on each others strengths.

I had 5 of us so I sent 2 to do another smaller job, they came back helped us finish then I went bidding and my fertilizer guy finished his 2 jobs so he came and those 5 went and did another smaller job and Page ground 2 stumps . Sometimes logistics sucks

Using chains blows my mind.

I ONLY use chains and love them!

I also only use chain and they're great! A couple pictures from today's emergency job.
2017-06-16 14.59.00.jpg
2017-06-16 15.03.13 HDR.jpg

Jed: Tough break! Hopefully your bosses become less lame!

Rich: Have any more pictures of the crane?

Deva: Looks like you plucked a tooth!

Willie: Glad to see the 340 is still earning its keep!

What's that pic weigh Carl?

Impressive work everyone!

Not really sure, it weighed more than I could deadlift, the stump was about 30' past my reach. I picked up what I could and slid it towards me until I had it close enough to reconfigure the boom and lift it. I estimate it weighed 2klb and the piece from the tip to the roof weighed 500lbs. To lift it with a stick boom it would have been one piece, 2500lb at a ~105' radius. I checked with my crane guy, that would have been a 90T, $2075 minimum charge.

A pipe will have almost as much tensile strength as a solid rod of the same diameter. All your strength is in the outer ring. As long as you have a strong pipe it doesn't matter so much what's missing in the middle. When the outer ring is compromised then you have something to worry about.

Strong enough pipe ehh but hit the sided and it will fail Image.jpg

Not really sure, it weighed more than I could deadlift, the stump was about 30' past my reach. I picked up what I could and slid it towards me until I had it close enough to reconfigure the boom and lift it. I estimate it weighed 2klb and the piece from the tip to the roof weighed 500lbs. To lift it with a stick boom it would have been one piece, 2500lb at a ~105' radius. I checked with my crane guy, that would have been a 90T, $2075 minimum charge.

:thumbup:

393px-us_navy_021102-n-4309a-001_plane_captain1.jpg

That was enough for me. :drink:

I don't find chain rigging to be all that heavy for what it is and the adjustability it offers. The sling on the log above is adjustable in length from roughly 1" to 15', has two legs, each with a 4300lb WLL, and it weighs ~28lbs.

The 3/8" bridle gets heavy, but it has 2 legs adjustable from ~1" to 35' and each leg is rated for 8800lb WLL. Weighs ~120lbs.

Also the crane carries a majority of the weight, usually.

Back