The Official Work Pictures Thread

Different strokes. Groundies are there to drag brush, climbers aren't there to help the groundies drag the brush. Speedlining takes more time and effort. But, like I said - different strokes.

Had this little cabin that needed some clearance prior to the restoration. It sits on a historic mining era homestead and was recently bought back by the originally family descendants that reside on the next parcel over. I told him no need for a bucket truck and that we could do it, just Rob and I. HO was thrilled :)
There are a few springs that surround that tree. One underneath. Bucket might have found a soft spot and been an issue.
IMG_20130708_104702.jpg IMG_20130708_104647.jpg IMG_20130708_111054.jpg IMG_20130708_120004.jpg

Had to edit out the expletives when some twigs hung up in the tin roof, but after a couple adjustments and tugging, this pick floated down fine. This was one of the two bigger picks and it got easier after that. Lifted the crown about 12 feet above the roof. 15 feet above the wood stove pipe as it will also be restored to active.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-mgC4LxBswE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Four buildings, from the stone foundations up, have already been restored and the Hubby and Wife live in one. Each cabin/house was built by each generation until HO's father. couple of the buildings are at least 150 years old. This one was built in the 20th century, but not far into it ;)
Be nice once they have it all done.

Nice going, both of you.

We finished the polyporus squamosus infected maple at the castle today.

That is one mean fungus. The tree looked perfectly fine untill it dropped a huge branch 3 feet from one of the gardeners.( At the castle they call him the cat with 8 lives left, now!)

Richard climbed it and found that the whole middle stem was totally mushy inside, so setting a high block for lowering was out.

The castle crew covered up the statue under the tree ( which apparently pissed it off somewhat) and we stripped enough off of the tree that we could drop the rest without causing too much collateral damage.

Since European maple doesn't hinge well, I used a block/gap face, a couple of wedges and a pull line running so far through the park that I had to communicate with the puller by cell phone.

The log went to a bunch of local woodturners, since it wasn't good enough to tempt a sawmill this time of the year.

P1020940.JPG P1020952.JPG P1020947.JPG P1020941.JPG P1020942.JPG P1020988.JPG P1020992.JPG P1020993.JPG P1020998.JPG P1030010.JPG P1030011.JPG P1030012.JPG P1030015.JPG

Stig, is that rot in the middle? Even if so, looks like some good material in there for long things like a table top. Your turners luck out.

Stig, is that rot in the middle? Even if so, looks like some good material in there for long things like a table top. Your turners luck out.

Just discoloration, leaked down from the mess above.

European maple discolors REAL fast when sawn in the summer, normally the mills don't accept any after the month of May.

I had a buyer look at this one, but he didn't bite.

So yes, the turners lucked out, since they got it for the price of firewood.

The rot was compartmentalized way better than we figured. Our maple is a bad compartmentalizer, prone to rotting out fast.
It has been years since I've been so nervous about taking a tree down, but once it was on the ground, it turned out to be groundless fear.

The fungus entered through a broken out branch and pretty much stayed in the near vicinity to that.
Really unusual, but great for the climber:D

Back