The Official Work Pictures Thread

Great photo's Reg. Background info as well.
Enjoyed working with the crane yet again. Nothing much but it happened;)
6d74103bb0c45381a7cb8406a1e5027c.jpg

ac4c012bd5056fd60f44b72dc61b2959.jpg

2a7b5313a25bf24b9c52a03a5e923c25.jpg

Wish I could get some of the vid footage up but every upload to YouTube seems to break or get fragmented.

Great photo's Reg. Background info as well.
Enjoyed working with the crane yet again. Nothing much but it happened;)

Yeah, it did man... good job.

Here's a couple Firpigs I fell today. The first was about 150'/160'x35"dbh. It had about 6 degrees of back-lean plus some phototropic limb weight toward the house, plus the tiniest bit of limb lock. I felt brave and wedged it into the woods with no rope.

The second had been stone dead for some time with small fruiting bodies from about 20' up all the way to the top. I climbed it to bust it in half, but upon seeing the face-cut wood. I got scared, went down and just chewed it off from the butt. (140'x40"dbh)

unnamed-169.jpg unnamed-171.jpg unnamed-170.jpg

O.k. Stig... You deserve a good laugh at my face-cut.

unnamed-174.jpg

This is what decayed Dougfir looks like.
Andy and St. Patric... thankful for an easy day.

Attachments

• unnamed-175.jpg
    unnamed-175.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 43
  • unnamed-176.jpg
    unnamed-176.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 43
  • unnamed-177.jpg
    unnamed-177.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 43
  • unnamed-178.jpg
    unnamed-178.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 43
  • unnamed-181.jpg
    unnamed-181.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 43
Wow that first tree with the lean, limb weight and just wedges took a set of brass ones. And/or lots of skill and experience. Nice time saver! Was the custy home?

Yeah, he was sweating it though... :lol: Ended up giving us each $20.00 :lol:

You can see from my cutting, that I should have hung a rope. I always tell people I have tons of experience, but, uhhh.... :^o

Here's another nice one of Andy

Attachments

• unnamed-182.jpg
    unnamed-182.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 43
Nothing to write home about Jed. They just grow fast in that particular region. Very slow taper. I got some video of that job, Ill edit when I have time. Thanks

How tall them be Reg, mabey 160-180 footers?

Jed, Popcorn/ pouch fungus, sap-rotter fungi? Makes wedging questionable. Normally, doug-fir is like cheating, I think. Sapwood rot changes things. I can't see the condition of the wood from the picts.

Reg, please share what the Consultant says. Interesting to hear.

Nico Dankers (I believe) has done some presentations on managing large PNW conifers. I didn't make it to ISA's annual training conference for the last two years, and missed it the time before. He was/ is with Tree Solutions, Inc. in Seattle. Scott Baker is the principle consultant/ owner there (fully consulting arbs). They have a tomograph. Scott came down and did some work with it on a 7' Doug-fir in Oly (not for me). Shell off a tree, but they work differently than hardwood, I sorta gathered. That, and it broke out at about 4"' at 170.

Looks like a lot of what we were up to the last few days at the camp.
Nice pictures!
Here was my view from one....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kk0FtEW4quI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like a lot of what we were up to the last few days at the camp.
Nice pictures!
Here was my view from one....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kk0FtEW4quI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boy that took a while to land. Well done:thumbup:

Jed, Popcorn/ pouch fungus, sap-rotter fungi? Makes wedging questionable. Normally, doug-fir is like cheating, I think. Sapwood rot changes things. I can't see the condition of the wood from the pic

Ahhh! Popcorn Fungus... the very thing! Thanks. It was the smaller (29") facecut that was all brown in the pics, but now that I look again, of course you can't see it. I've had really bad experiences trying to wedge trees with rot. :|:

Jed, Popcorn/ pouch fungus, sap-rotter fungi? Makes wedging questionable. Normally, doug-fir is like cheating, I think. Sapwood rot changes things. I can't see the condition of the wood from the picts.

Reg, please share what the Consultant says. Interesting to hear.

Nico Dankers (I believe) has done some presentations on managing large PNW conifers. I didn't make it to ISA's annual training conference for the last two years, and missed it the time before. He was/ is with Tree Solutions, Inc. in Seattle. Scott Baker is the principle consultant/ owner there (fully consulting arbs). They have a tomograph. Scott came down and did some work with it on a 7' Doug-fir in Oly (not for me). Shell off a tree, but they work differently than hardwood, I sorta gathered. That, and it broke out at about 4"' at 170.
42d09fd97594393978ff121c04d205bf.jpg

Like this? Guys ran into this 80-90 feet up the outage other day

I'm not sure what you mean Willie by that, and how they heck did you teach you're guys to bore-cut with a Silky????

Please post a video of this technique. Seems like more than words would spell out.

:lol:

Back