The Official Work Pictures Thread

I think even ten feet might be a little close for a fire of that size.

Carl, do you generally let piles of that size burn full blaze, or do you partially smother them with soil after they've gotten going?

Yup, Steve's a handsome fellow and a good guy. He used to be a top pro ski racer and part time big wave surfer before he got into tree work.

Willow remains from yesterday.
P1120625.JPG P1120634.jpg P1120635.jpg P1120638.jpg P1120647.JPG P1120644.jpg

High-TIP in rear lead. HH. Key biner on D-ring.
New guy on the camera, overexposed, shot video sideways. Next time he'll do better...or the beatings will continue. :)

P1120654.jpg P1120655.jpg P1120661.jpg P1120662.jpg
P1120665.jpg P1120666.jpg
P1120668.jpg P1120672.jpg
P1120675.jpg
P1120680.jpg P1120687.jpg

POGO-put on ground only-maple from the afternoon. Jacuzzi and retaining wall below on house side, drainfield in the lawn. NBD. 38" on the butt. Got new guy John some roping experience on the BMS Belay Spool. Sure is nice to be able to transfer the line to the climber while still having the control of the LD, freeing up the ground crew to land pieces, and process needed

HH, all day, until lowering off a crotch on the spar. :)

Go Hitch Hiker POWER!

Are you running your own gig just on the weekends, sean? Or do you have guys on during the week?

I have a friend who works for a neighboring town, and they are looking for a guy with my credentials to hire. It's a thought to do so, and wreck trees after work and on the weekends.

4 spruce removals today. One was a flop. The rest climbed. Im a little tired. Getting back to work finally. The saw work is nothing fancy or meant to be shown off. I could have cleaned those cuts up better, I know. But I didn't. Here's 2 out front between the house, utility lines, and some service wires. The two out back I didn't take pictures of.
2013-03-25_08-59-51_118_zps0ba1cee2.jpg

2013-03-25_09-00-15_742_zpsde6ac092.jpg

2013-03-25_09-04-19_37_zpse27e1c00.jpg

2013-03-25_11-30-34_340_zps39e70156.jpg

2013-03-25_13-04-25_649_zps12f88688.jpg

Man, that willow was gnarly looking. Good job.

Is that the Ergolite Spartan saddle you're using? How do you like it?

This is the exception rather than the rule. First time I've dumped at my folks in around 5-6 years. I traded dad out some work in exchange for this. I'm hoping to buy 20 acres next door, then I'll have plenty of room, for now.

My plan is to buy a few 2-4 acres plots in the county (can burn) around the city to minimize hauling time/expense.

I still have the recycling yard across the river, but having a few places I own would be very nice and dependable.

Are you running your own gig just on the weekends, sean? Or do you have guys on during the week?

I have a friend who works for a neighboring town, and they are looking for a guy with my credentials to hire. It's a thought to do so, and wreck trees after work and on the weekends.

I have two guys, Erik, manages a lot of day to day, and John, new groundie, aspires to climb. They prune and will do easier removals. Erik has been with a few groundies over the last two years.

I did the willow and maple in the same Sunday after 4-10's m-th, with the state, and back to work today..

On residential jobs, I often have to try to keep the time I don't need to be onsite maximized, e.g. make a mess, as necessary, and leave.

Those two trees went a bit like...do a little prep at the shop at 8am, drive, do the technical work at the willow job a few miles up the road, back on the road at 10am, Dahlia-handoff to me while Amy goes to town. Met her in town at 1pm, Dahlia handoff to her, drive to maple near my house (conveniently), arrive at 2pm, POGO, packing up and driving off at 6pm.

Point is, how much do you want to work? Do you have to work 40 hour/ week? If I could do half time with 401k (50%), I probably would jump at the chance.

Medical/ Dental Benefits? We already have a family State employee medical/ dental plan. For me, it wouldn't matter if I stayed FT for myself or worked exclusively for the state, or both.

If they are matching retirement funds, how long until you're vested?

Is your equipment paid for? Are you going to work weekends largely to cover overhead (equipment payments, insurance, licensing, etc)? Having a salaried job, and the deduction benefits of a business can be a good match.

Do they have good equipment?

I had started a thread a couple years ago when I was first thinking about the Parks job, which I'm going to revisit soon. Burnham advised that it was easier to get out of such a job, than into such a job. Wisely said.

If you do after work/ weekend/ paid vacation day jobs, you might reduce your processing. More Put On Ground Only jobs, or have a clean-up crew.

You probably won't have time to clean things, or at least so much. ;)

It's rough sometimes to have a full time job and manage a side business.
I find I'm always working, or bidding, or on the phone or invoicing, etc....

Sean, I can empathize.

Though there are perks and I can quit anytime.

Some climbing plant.. they had it all wrapped up with steel cable around the post. The old lady loves it so we removed the girdling cable and installed the lags to support it on the post.

Back