The Official Work Pictures Thread

Part of the first job with the new mulcher. I've put around 15 hours on it in the past two days. I have another 23.5 hours of work for it on the books currently. I'm hoping for another 40 hours in the next 20 days, which is when payment is due on the mower.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PYp6raGO5wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At this point I haven't a clue, only to say there are plenty of variables!

Terrain, how low they want it cut, and obstacles are three big ones. That video showed 2 hours cutting an open area, I spent 5.5 hours cutting an equal area amongst pine trees. He wanted it as low as practical, which on a 4" oak takes a while to get those last couple feet down. I see a fixed tooth mulcher in my near future if work keeps coming. It's rated for 8" material.

On the job I'm on now we have 2/3 mile of creek to clean up and the area between it and the highway. Some of that terrain is extremely hilly. I sold that job as hourly, with a 30 hour block to start out. In a couple places the privet is so thick you couldn't get wet if you wanted.

Speaking of which, time to get up and punch in!

They were charging between 12-1500 per acre on a job we were on. The 1200 guy went out of business. Had a two man ground crew. The $1500.00 guy is doing fine but has no hand crew. Not as nice a finished product either. He also mixes it up with hyrdoaxe and mulcher.

For acreage, the track loader would be far better suited. Way more power and faster drive speeds. That's coming I hope, but currently it's excavator only.

IMG_0317.jpg IMG_0319.jpg IMG_0328.jpg
A good sized sycamore takedown from Friday. Sycamores are so nice, they just seem to melt away at the sight of a sharp chain! I've got a friend who turns bowls out of it, anyone ever use it for anything else? It's pretty wood. It seems to me like it's only mediocre for firewood though.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 71
If people use "preview", they should presumably be able to see that they are posted incorrectly, and then change them before reposting again. It will take more time, but sideways or upside down is a nuisance. :thumbdown:

Solved my problem with sideways pic postin via photobucket, then back to my IPAD's Photo Stream to upload from in the proper orientation.

But that's an IPaD only fix.

Jomo

We don't have an Official logging thread, so I guess this goes here. Myrtle's first official log on my pine job. 30' x22" white pine. Going to be a ridge beam in a Cruck frame. I've been playing around all week getting my skid trail opened up and the snow packed down while the snow was "warm".:lol: Now that it's cold again, the going is pretty good. I pulled this guy all the way back without any troubles. I'll try two of them next time. I've got a couple of sticky wickets on the skid trail, I'm working on a pretty tired set of tire chains, I might have to put them on if the conditions get bad. My skid trail is about twice as long as I would like, but the shortcut to the mill yard that was used in '93 is blocked by a couple of uprooted trees. No way to move the stumps. At least there is no trucking this way, which is good, I don't think the Kubota will pick this one up. Mill is in front of Kubota.

20140224_153805.jpg

Dave, lay a few logs in front of your mill a drive the skidder tires up onto them to set the log on the mill. I don't know if that tear drop grapple will or wont lift the log whole if picked up in the middle. You would know that. Otherwise, id chain it to your blade and drive the front of the skidder up onto some logs and set the log on there.

Back