The Official Random Video Thread!

It is not attached to the abdomen, but lies like a free unit inside.
When the body of the dog makes a sharp turn while rolling or playing, particularly after having eaten a full meal, the stomach is a bit slower in turning ( inertia) and stays in position.
That means all the blood supply is suddenly cut off since the veins are twisted.
The stuff inside the stomach is constantly undergoing a fermentation process ( That is why we fart constantly . Not you, of course, but the rest of humanity)
When the aesophagys and colon are twisted, the gases can't be released, so the animal bloats up like you wouldn't believe.
It is a severely traumatic event, which is why the dog has to be in real good shape to survie it.

Stabbing a cow to relieve the pressure is not fun either.

We force a hose down their throat now.
Stabbing is so last century.
You have to stand well clear, when that hose reaches the stomach, it sprays like a fire hose.

My wife had an enfarcted ovary (also called a "twisted ovary") when she was in her 20's. I had already seen her go through natural childbirth...this twisted ovary was WAY worse. First symptoms were diffuse abdominal pain...then it suddenly went away later in the day...I remember seeing her doing cartwheels with my daughter later in the day and she seemed fine.

She woke up about 4AM in severe pain. I took her to the ER (only about 2 miles away...had to stop at least once to let her vomit from the pain). The ER folks were doing their usual "it's not that bad, honey" to her (she was writhing in the floor in pain) and I was just about ready to tear some new anal orifices for them when a friend, who happened to be an anesthesiologist on staff, came thru the ER...Dianne saw Lindsay and took charge...got her the morphine she needed, ripped a few new A$$holes in a very professional way, and Lindsay was in surgery very quickly.

The danger is sepsis from necrosis of the blood starved tissue...same as for the stomach issue, I am sure. The ovary twisting was considered idioipathic (cause unknown) but the results can be devastating if not recognized.

Stabbing? Hose ramming??? I do NOT want to raise cows!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastric_dilatation_volvulus

We just got back from preschool which I stay at with D, because I can, and extra parent helpers are huge while trying to herd toddlers. After class, I let Rup out to sniff and stretch, even though we were 2 minutes from home. I brushed him a minute, as his brush was right in the back door of the suv, his spot behind Dahlia in the back seat.

When we got home and unloaded, within a little bit he was whimpering in pain and trying to vomit. He finally got up some very, very thick white marshmallow fluff looking stuff that when scooped into a tupperware for the vet, held onto the bottom of the tupperware when turned upside down. He drank water and vomited more, more typical vomit like from eating grass. There was nothing like grass or food in his stomach. He hadn't eaten the night before, which wasn't too strange, as it had been quite hot for Olympia, and he loves snow with a thick coat. I figured he was just hot. His abdomen was distended.

I told Dahlia that I was going to the Animal Doctor with Rupert and she was going to have a playdate with the neighbor kid. She was totally engrossed in the playdate. Rupert walked next door with me, then laid in the shade and wouldn't walk back. I grabbed the car and drove over to get him (150'). I took Rup to the vet, 1 mile away.

They tried the tube down the throat. no luck. Big bore syringe to pull air out of the stomach helped. He would have had to go to Tacoma 30-45 minutes away. Surgery started at $1500, and could go up to $3000, with no guarantees. A stomach gets damaged by stretching. Blood flow impediment often kills the spleen, part of the stomach wall, and damages the heart.

Rupert was almost nine, and had reconstructive knee surgery 6 years ago or so. He was arthritic, and at times he wouldn't come in to the house from his dog house when I called, and resisted when I would have to go out and get him. He was 75 pounds-85 pounds in his adult life, mostly long legs, deep chest (risk factor), and a big tail. People always asked what kind of dog..."part lab, part giraffe" or "part black, part tall, part found by the side of the road". Amy found him when he was three months old. He was dumped, it seemed.

I had Rupert put into the back of my car, still sedated, expecting him to stay sedated, for his comfort. I moved the car and he woke up and stood up. The needle took pressure off his stomach and organs. He didn't whine or whimper. I parked in the shade in a private spot, crawled in with him, laid him down, said goodbye. The vet administered the OD of sedative. I brought him home, dug a deep grave under some young fir trees we planted 8 years ago, and buried him. I hung out with him, and kept digging until it would be just before sunset that I could get it finished. He's facing the road. He used to watch the road a lot. I had large chunks of concrete to sandwich between soil over Rupert, and soil on the top. I don't think that his grave will be disturbed by animals.

I called Amy at work while at the vet. She picked up Dahlia from the neighbor's house. I was going to drop D off at Amy's a 630 that night, anyway. They went for a family visit to Oklahoma in the morning, as planned. I don't know that its come up yet. She may not know, and may not until after her vacation. D is 3 years, 3 months. She doesn't know about death yet.

Dang, Sean. That's a tough one. Glad you were there for Rupert. Kids, dogs, death...tough to work through it but it's part of the territory.

D may take it better than you...sorry for your loss.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nqlnGm1xCo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w81g199L8YA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jNHFInoxx1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used to work in an aircraft tire shop. We had a cage...

Don't be a morain!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9vEEtLBfy4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>\

Attachments

• kN9bAW9.jpg
    kN9bAW9.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 28
Not just that, but a maroon with zero sword training.
Stuff like that is actually a great argument against socialized medicine.

Back