The Official Random Video Thread!

I bought a '54 Humber Hawk in Adelaide in 1968, drove it to Alice Springs. Nearly all dirt road then and corrugations, the old road was about 1,000 miles. Back door and trunk lids vibrated off, fixed that with some fencing wire and sold it when I got there for the same price.
All leather upholstery, same colour as this one.

All about Sterling 5.9mm "PowerCord," which has a Nylon sheath and a core made from Technora. It has an MBS of 4,429lbs or 19.7kN. A 150 foot section of PowerCord weighs only 3lbs. It is a super static accessory cord and has very little stretch. Knots will obviously cut the MBS by 50-60%, but the cord can be doubled or tripled over to easily make up for the loss in strength.

Here is an excellent documentary about a guy who weaponized and fortified a 63 ton bulldozer using steel and concrete and then destroyed homes and businesses with it, targeting perceived enemies.

Well, there's another place I can scratch of my 'places to visit' list. Reminds me of a terrestrial version of The Expanse, where they're the Belter asteroid miners.

Apparently, that's a handmade parody item that isn't actually affiliated with Mattel or Hot Wheels. Had to look it up Sorry. I think we all suspected this of being the case (I hope).

Back in the day circa 1970ish, I recall a rock climber I was friends with using a few pieces of varying lengths of 2 inch diameter galvanized steel pipe he bought at the hardware store as crack jam protection points. He had maybe a 3 inch (which put it at the upper edge of what we could do with the cams of the day), and a 4 and a 5 inch piece as I recall it.

Most of us climbers who spent time on the western North Carolina faces with him were a bit sketched out by it :)...but I know of no one who ever suffered a pro fail from their use.

Most of us where in our early twenties, so of course totally bullet-proof :D.

This is satire, but it's hysterical because some people actually have done this with frozen potatoes...

@Burnham That pipe pro sounds super sketch. Modern day cams are fool proof and work phenomenally so long as you don't "over-cam" them while inserting into a crack.

Only sketch if you have an outwardly opening crack. Any crack that closes outward or downward, it was bombproof. He cut the ends on a slightish angle, so one could fix them pretty nicely.

But of course, as many things we did back then, it was highly suspect :).

Last edited:
I'm guessing this probably wouldn't work with a long, thin throw line. I wonder if you can scale this up and use it with ropes. Anyways, just a simple but interesting video...

It seems to scale up to the method of coiling over hand and elbow, but in a figure 8. If you could figure 8 large enough, it would probably work on big ropes.

It seems to scale up to the method of coiling over hand and elbow, but in a figure 8. If you could figure 8 large enough, it would probably work on big ropes.
Now that I think about it, and since you have inspired me to think harder, it would probably work better than with micro thin cordage because it is less resistance to loosing shape and structure, and less likely to tangle.

Back