The Official Random Video Thread!

As a general rule, I don't like to free climb anything unless I'm alpine climbing. Obviously, I'll use any suitable fixed ropes I can find, but an ice screw or a snow anchor isn't a bolt or even a strong tree limb. You don't take whippers on them; you just don't fall and, if you do, you'd better stop yourself with your ice axe. But yeah, when you free climb mountains, your TIPs are sometimes your axes and, if you're smart, you've got them affixed to your harness. Some alpinists don't use tethers for their axes because, more often then not, if you fall on one hard enough, it will pop out and fling into your teeth. Your true friend is your crampons. Strong hand/axe holds are secondary to strong foot holds. Get that front hook deep into the ice and snow, semi-wide stance for stability, and then assess your axe positions. Especially when you're on 60-70 degree slopes.

The Karakorum and Himalaya call to me, but I'm not yet prepared. I hope someday I'll climb Ama Dablam or Cho Oyu or Kangchenjunga, but I fear I'm past my prime. I'm currently no longer in the shape I used to be, but I'm going to start training. I may never even be able to afford an expedition, but Denali would be a nice summit as well, right in our back yard. I'd obviously do Denali first before any eight-thousander. I have to see how my body accepts higher altitudes.

But imagine...climbing as high as passenger jets fly on supplemental oxygen! Nothing but a blanket of white snow, granite, limestone, and glaciers all around you. I still have time.

So I suppose I'll free climb the shit out of those mountains. (See how I wrapped up my rant into a nice coherent present?) =-D

Yup, in that version at least.

Wingsuiting over the pyramids was the raddest imo.

Everest crevasse rescue, likely in the Khumbu ice fall region, where glaciers shed ice into a massive field notorious for swallowing climbers whole and where 80% of the ladders are used to cross them, which are sometimes deeper than the naked eye can see. The glacier is constantly moving and so the ice fall needs constant maintenance and sections can be unrecognizable from how it previously was within as little one month's time, sometimes overnight. Sherpa who fix these ropes and ladders are lovingly known as Icefall Doctors. The Sherpa are the unsung heroes of Everest and they are often exploited, made to work extremely hard for months-long expeditions for a fraction of what they deserve. And yet they are extremely humble, stoic, polite men and woman who believe the Mother Goddesses and Gods who live at the top of mountains like Everest have delivered them to Westerners to keep them safe, which is why they are ever-so-willing to risk their lives to save a client they hardly even know. #SherpaPower. One of the kindest ways you can donate small amounts of your money (in my opinion) is to the families of Sherpa who have lost their lives trying to save clients or preparing the routes or hauling as much as 100lbs or more of gear per person, leaving their wife (sometimes husband) and kids to fend for themselves. A few US dollars can buy A LOT in countries like Nepal.

GoPro footage from the helmet of a climber descending down the treacherous Hillary Step and down to the breathtaking Hillary Traverse. Climbers much move painfully slowly with thir oxygen depleted bodies in order to safely pass one another, with breathtaking views visible especially farther into the video. While watching this, keep in mind that it's poor form to weight those fixed ropes at any point in time save for small micro-balance adjustments (unless you fall). Notice how the three strand polypropylene white ropes speckled with some color are affixed with ice screws into the snow caps, which could easily pull out from forces generated by a climber and which will usually only stand a chance of holding when placed closely around other screws and when pulled in close-to-direct shear (straight down, not outward), and must be installed at steep angles with frozen fingers.

Everest really annoys me. It's basically tourist bullshit at this point. Cables have been set. Sherpa carry your shit, including your sorry ass if you fail, and Everest looks like a landfill with all the crap people leave behind. The only real requirement average fitness and mobility. Want to impress me? Climb it without assistance, and bring a pack full of trash back with you. Do that 100 or so times, and you'll have accomplished something. There's nothing to see there, getting up isn't special. Do *something*, or do something else.

Just go climb K2 instead!
Different kettle of fish.

These are 2 of the most iconic airplanes ever:

I never did have me the pleasure of watching no Yellowstone but now I kinda thinking I woulda liked it

Back