The Official Random Video Thread!

Yo- interesting vid to me on a few levels-

1) Guy doing heavy, crazy work with primitive tools.

2) Guy doing heavy, crazy work with primitive tools while wearing flip flops :rockhard:

3) Guy squats beautifully (21:10); interesting to me because of the whole thing about how many 'mericans can't do a full squat because we live our lives differently vs alot of other cultures, especially asian cultures ( we do lot's of chair use and sit-type toilet bowl use, vs less chair use and more squatting and squatting over in-floor or in-ground toilet bowls for many other cultures).

I just finished the vid.

That guy had to work his azz off to get that job done.

Interesting juxtaposition of primitive and high tech when he used the propane tank.

I think tires and rubber are utterly fascinating. Seems to me that steel and rubber are two of the most key materials on the planet. :drink:

If only they had the technology to make steel toed shoes and something besides a dress to work in. I have to wonder how many of them get wrapped up in pto shafts and lathes and such.

I can only imagine how many get infected cuts on their feet too. Or lose eyes with no eye pro. I admire their work ethic and skills, but wonder how much more productive and healthy they would be with proper gear.

I hear ya.

However one could argue, barring serious injury, they are more "healthy" by not using what we think of as proper gear. Perhaps stronger, more flexible, more proprioception, more hardy, more durable, more resistant to minor injuries.

That was amazing and surprisingly high tech. Puts the incredible stuff humans do today in some context, for me.

Seems like one of the biggest changes between then and now is the fuel source for the machine being built. Alot of the build techniques and tools used seem similar to today

Old tech impresses me more than new tech does. Kind of take new improvements for granted. "Yea, robots, computers, whatever..."; it just seems easier to me. All the old mechanical stuff that was made for the first time ever seems less obvious to me, and harder to achieve. All the pieces handmade to a certain extent, and working together in almost impossible complexity.

Back