The Official Random Video Thread!

Here on the Mendocino coast the mountain lion population has become urbanized. Roaming freely through yards at night picking off Fido and Fluffy. They appear to be smart enough to leave people alone. But I fear it's just a matter of time time before the inevitable happens. Kids.

Just a little bit of pipe strain there :lol: helper was dumb to finish the cut on top rather than on the side, where he could have been in a safe spot. They also have wayyyyyyyyyy too much pipe exposed on an over bend, just bad practices all around. Thank God they cut it close to the end of the ditch, if that was in the middle he would likely be dead.

No idea, likely replacing a damaged section, or possibility rerouting. Could be a number of reasons. Pipe strain is no joke tho, tons of potential energy stored that can be released in very dangerous forms. Add the fact that they are clueless and you could have a very dangerous situation.

Start the buck on the compression side, cut around to and through the tension side, then go back and one hand trip the buck and run. And use a 42" plasma torch.

You can look at the terrain to get an idea, but you can't always see what you are working with. Basically you never know. When they build pipelines, they often weld as many sections as possible together up on top, xray and paint, then walk the whole string in starting at one end and going to the other. As a single 40 foot stick the pipe is very ridgid, but weld several together and it's like a hose. So walking up to a random spot you never know what you got. Chit can kill you in a bunch of different ways.

Here's a video of the process, the laborer is doing what's called jeeping, which checks the integrity of the coating. Brave man touching the pipe while he was doing it, really good way to get lit up, pretty high voltage, kinda like a cattle prod. You can even see the roller slings. Here they are doing smallish pipe, so you can get away with using an excavator, on big pipe you absolutely need sidebooms.... man i miss pipeline.

I stumbled onto this story thru CNN...."
How investigators found a jet engine under Greenland's ice sheet"

An Airbus A380 lost part of an engine over Greenland in Sept. 2017. They needed the missing fan to figure out why it self destructed...at first they blamed maintenance. They found the fan 2 years later under about 12-20 feet of snow and ice! Some pretty cool rigging to recover the fan...using ground anchors, MA, ropes, chainsaws, rifles, bamboo (!), snow, sleds and polar bears (the bears didn't help but were a threat).

You can FF to 10:30 for the actual dig, etc.

That is the biggest multiple tree trip I have ever seen or heard of. Some major skill there. Not to put too fine a point on it, but that faller is obviously an OLD faller, from the vid. High degree of skillful planning on display.

Sometimes being old means you've learned a thing or two :).

Last edited:
Really, pups...that shows a level of talent that is rare in the extreme. We cannot do much more than stand in appreciation, glasses lifted. Just watch the timing of the last back cut, then the move under no stress to finalize the back cut of the next to last tree. That ability is not come by easily, I can tell you.

I am not without experience, skill, or capability...but that strip fell all from a single trip is masterful beyond my kin.

Last edited:
Back