The Official Random Video Thread!

Can those of you who climb rocks or mountains explain this to me.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8kru0kTTvk

They talk about free climbing, but it looks to me like there are preset points, they can tie into?????

It also looks like the places they put their hands are painted with generations of chalk.

Is El Capitain full of drilled in whateveryoucall them, where you can tie off?

Maybe next time I go play arounmd with a giant sequoia, I should look for one with preset tie ins.

WTF is going on?

Free climbing means advancing up the wall without pulling on any ropes or other aid, just advancing by climbing the rock itself. Ropes are used to catch a fall should that happen. There are many predrilled bolts in yosemite which are things you clip biners to and then run your rope thru the biner so you can be belayed by another climber. Or removable protection is also used, things like cams that wedge in cracks, the biner attaches to the cam and so you are protected from a fall by non-permanent gear.

Free soloing is climbing with no rope and therefore no protection of any kind should a fall occur. As in, Alex Honnold.

Yes, lots of chalk on the holds

I see some of the routes she climbed were rated at 5.13. FWIW, IMO, 5.13 is impossible for 96% of earth's population. At the indoor climbing gym, 5.9+ is my absoulute limit. My son who is young, strong and in shape can do most 5.10s and some 5.11s but he can't touch 5.12 much less 5.13. It takes extreme strength and especially extreme finger strength. It humbling to go up to a 5.11 or 5.12 and try to get the first move so you are off the ground. Yeah nah. Impossible :rockon:

Last edited:
Cory puts it about as accurately as it can be said in brief, very well done, sir.

I have not done any technical rock climbing in 40+ years. I was on the cusp of really getting into it, and was surpassing some experienced mentors, back in the mid 1970's, but took a bad fall that was hugely exacerbated by the failure of several pieces of chock nuts and cam-lock protection points that I had placed myself. No way to avoid the blame; it was my gear, my placement, my failure.

I got hurt some, physically. 70 feet total fall...2 pieces of pro pulled out...skinned up like a 100 mph motorcycle lay-down, and a broken hand, three ribs, and orbital bone. Granite shards picked out of skin and muscle at the ER for far too lo
But the damage to my confidence in my protection, my abilities, was far worse. Never rock climbed serious faces again.

It took me a while to get over that experience when tree climbing raised it's alluring head to me several years later.

Last edited:
The pure exposure climbing something like that would be unreal. The height, wind, and reality that you are on your own would be another level of difficulty to an already ridiculous climb. The fatigue of climbing that much also has to play a huge part as well.

dont let the bolts fool yah.......

I've climbed el cap twice and there is some serious run out with big fall potential.

popular routes and ones that are being projected get a lot of chalk......just cuz there chalked doesn't mean they are buckets

Once the corona shit has burned out and the World returned to normal and I can ride a motorcycle again, I may take a weekend out, drive down to Rheinland-Pfalz in Germany just for a slice of this with some good butter.

Hella whipper, B.

With all the indoor rock gyms these days, they say there are now far more excellent climbers than ever before but most of them are averse to the danger often found on outdoor rock routes, Gym climbing is very safe, but outdoor rock routes , yeah nah.

I really enjoy the climbing gym but feel like I get way more than enough danger almost every day at tree work so have no desire to think about doing any sketchy outdoor rock route.:drink:

Damn, B!

Never heard that one before!!

5.13 is beyond 99% of dedicated rock climbers.
I fell up a 5.12a on top-rope once.
Once.

I just read something about fitness tests they gave climbers. There was significant strength difference between 5.11 vs 5.12 climbers, but not much strength difference between higher levels of climbers. The higher levels seemed to more differentiated on technique and confidence

Didgeridoo is the firewood. Australian aboriginal instrument.

Good video from the Murph also.

Can't find the one I watched, it's been removed but I think this is it.

I watched 10 minutes of it, interesting.

I really hate the way they string the story out in these documentaries, lots of “scientists are baffled” no they’re not, they know exactly what they are.

Yeah it was interesting. I like the way the creatures set up camp near highways cuz no humans go on foot there to harass them

She will take all the "Likes" she can get.

We have an alder to prune in the front yard, which might be the next back drop for another song.

This was posted on another forum I frequent. Amazing reenactment of a true story where the pilot of a charter plane dies shortly after takeoff. I wasn't expecting much but was riveted for the entire 43 minutes.

8:38 Btw, how do ya make it so the video starts at 8.38 for ya instead of my telling you to manually start it at 8.38? Thanks

Last edited:
for your video above, this should do it...

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfaYwZWWFX4&t=8m38s

note the included suffix on the url

alternately, it looks like this website will do it for you...

Back