The Official Random Video Thread!

I was thinking of the individual tank.
Gotta admit the Tiger was way superior to the T34.

Way too expensive to produce, way too hard to repair but what a machine.

Like when you compare a Schmeisser to an AK 47.

The T-34 is still the greatest tank ever made.

The Tiger was a marvel........but was heavy, expensive, complex, and was no match for the Soviets cheap and cheerful peasant Tank.

Sometimes the quality of Quantity is beautiful.

Like comparing a VW beetle to a Gull Wing Benz.

The beauty of the Beetle was in its availability to the common people. The ones without hunting estates.

The beetle was a masterpiece of industrial art and economy. The average person could take care of almost all maintenance with the lug wrench and double screwdriver. Simple clever design decisions that made things easy.

You almost sound more like a commie than I do Jim.

I guess we'll just have to agree that our definition of " best" differ.

That belongs in the political thread.
This one is mostly for "Hold my beer and watch this" videos.

Ever see EnglishRussia Jim?

Lots of interesting pictures sparsely described. Sometimes it's frustrating, but it also adds to the mystery of it all. Fun to look through.

Cory my friend...that was a powerfully enjoyable piece of film. I can think of a decent contribution I might have been able to make to it...if only...:)

I wish some talented videographer had been at my side back in the late 1990's on a couple of really nasty forest fires I was on in eastern Washington state, felling really huge oldgrowth Ponderosa pines.

The several trees that I was tasked to fell were over 200 feet tall, over 4 feet at dbh, and were burning hot, their crowns fully engulfed. Slopes in excess of 100%. After midnight, dark as the inside of a cow. Every now and then a burnt off flaming limb would scream down to explode in an amazing shower of sparks and embers. You couldn't see the tops of the trees around the one to fell, you couldn't see the top of the tree you were cutting...you couldn't really see much at all.

It was scary beyond imagining. It was empowering beyond belief when you won the bet against death...only to hike on down the fireline to do it again, with the fear clenching your gut tighter than ever. The constant flood of adrenaline for several hours was something I never want to experience again...energizing in the extreme until the shutdown afterwards, which was like having every bit of your steam drain out into a puddle.

I think I never want to again, fairly sure...;).

I expect these folks in Cory's vid feel a lot of that same stuff. It can very easily become addicting. You need not ask how I know :).

Back