The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 293K
Sorry, Butch, but to me a Doberman is not a dog, it is a weapon.
I sincerely dislike those types of dogs that were bred to follow guys in SS insignia uniforms around camps of imprisoned jews that were waiting for their turn in the gas chamber and oven.
While I like a protective dog, I have always stayed clear of those breeds, like the Rottweiler and Doberman. Wouldn't care to have a pure bred German shepherd either.
They are very trainable, but like the Pit bull it feels too much like having a nuclear weapon with a hair trigger to me.

Old Skidboot was much more to my liking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iWSo_rnFME

Also, getting a dog and starting the relationship out by cutting it's ears half off is F.......ing SICK!!!!

Stig, have you any experience with a Hungarian Kuvasz? Bred as a protective dog for both humans and livestock. After reading about them, I've been intrigued by the breed. I've never actually seen one. Apparently their coats never need a cleaning. I'm not sure why or if that is unusual.

Attachments

• hungarian-kuvasz.jpg
    hungarian-kuvasz.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 28
None at all, by my guess would be that it is the same type as all the other dogs bred to guard, rather than move sheep.
Hard to train because they are bred to think and act for them self.
My ½ Pyreneean, ½ shepherd is like that.

Yes, that's what I have read. Very watchful and cautious of strangers, but if they observe that their master is accepting of someone, then they will be as well. Not an overly playful dog, and will act on their own in an instant if they feel it necessary. To what extent what is written about breeds is really true by generalisations, also said to be highly intelligent.

I turned my vicious rotty on .........a coyote yesterday. It was pretty crazy and funny how slow a mastiff/Rottweiler is in comparison to a yote.

The bugger was near my back fence line and the cheeky fellow paid me no heed when tried to shoo him off. So I sent tank after him and made thunder stay. The yote stood his ground for all of abou 1/2 a second before he realized that tank was coming and not stopping. He chased him about 1/4 mile. Just hilarious, looked like a big black bowling ball or bear rolling through that field, just head down and giving 'er.

I can't have yotes coming in to close like that. They'd scoop up one of these little pups like nothing.

My guys are dead friendly with me around, the meter reader lady was amazed yesterday because I was home and they were loose. She said, "Man these dogs are a lot less aggressive when you're home". I said, "Of course they are".

Mine are the same way.
I've never seen them real agressive in fact, only heard from my x-wife that they would be super protective when I wasn't home.
And of course seen it on the to occasions where we have had nightly "visitors."
Sam'll turn into a werewolf when that happens.

I can just picture that Coyote.
"Nope, that big thing is stopping......................it is stopping................................SHIT it aint........RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNN!"
Be like running down a narrow street in Eastern Europe, chased by an Abrams M1.

Tank ain't a Rottweiler, Justin.
He is a mix.
Just like I'd never have a purebred German shepherd, I've had a bunch of dogs that were ´bout 50 % shepherd.
Completely different thing.
Also, I've never cut the ears half way off of one of mine, just to make them look even more like Nazi dogs.

I do teach them to heil, though.

Unfortunately Jim I'm on the edge of a pretty ritzy district so discharging a firearm is frowned upon. As a registered farmer I can shoot to protect wildlife or put one out of its misery but the district has a by-law against shooting. Also my backdrops are far from ideal for shooting.

So tanky gets some exercise instead. I don't mind the yotes around doing their thing. They eat a lot of field mice. I just don't want them supplementing that with a puppy or two.

Yah Stig I always feel a bit sorry for the puppies that get clipped and docked. Not for me, although my big guys can damn near dent a vehicle with their tail wagging.

I was quite impressed yesterday with how well they both listened. Tank didn't take much encouragement to send and thundy stayed right at my side, wanting to go but didn't move a paw. If the yote faced tank up I would've sent thundy out too, although it wouldn't have been very fair of me by playground standards. Once the yote was out of sight tank stopped of his own accord and took about a dozen pisses on his way back in an ever increasing arc around the back of my property.

He made his poppa proud. Lol.

Just the thought of having both of those after me is pretty scary.

Being able to send one out and put the other on " Hold" is what we all strive to achive, Justin.
That would make me proud, too.

Just as well, looks like all the TV he's been watching has messed up his eyes.:D

Yah Stig I was proud of thunder too for staying put, I'm sure that his age helped make the command stick. If he were younger I bet he woulda shot off. Regardless I was still quite pleased.

JxqsHv6.gif

Squish, you need one of those big bore air rifles. Enough power for an elk, without the loud noise. They aren't silent, though.

I have a decent air gun I thought but it barely takes out ground squirrels. I imagine it'd piss off a coyote but wouldn't really harm it. Any models/brands you suggest?

I don't have a big one. They are spendy, being pre-charged pneumatic. (PCP). If you search for big bore air rifles, you will find plenty. Pyramid Air, Airforce Airguns, etc. should find some.

Squisher, the air gun for you would probably be a Benjamin marauder, or if your on a tighter budget like I am, the gamo socom extreme in .25 cal seems to end them pretty quick.

I read this dog rescue story and it kinda wrecked me. I grew up with a basset hound, thinking I need to get another. I'm a sucker for dogs. Any of you remember way back in the day, the Lassie tv show?? Remember when Lassie, idk, got lost or stolen or something and went missing. And then, finally, Lassie came home, running across this field back into the arms of his owner. I was an 8 y.o blubbering mess watching that.

http://ripeningjoywordpress.org/2016/02/09/seamus/

Back