The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 293K
I think we have a obligation to get pets that are suitable for our surroundings.

I guess you could have a tiger as a pet, but if you live next to a daycare, a tiger might not be an appropriate choice.

Having your creepy Uncle live with you next to the daycare would be a poor choice as well.

S'right Jim, I feel sorry for pit bulls and the like who are "kept" by inadequates to show their manliness, but they've no place as pets in urban settings.

working on stay...

Attachments

• Otis on Watch 004.jpg
    Otis on Watch 004.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Otis on Watch 005.jpg
    Otis on Watch 005.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 60
  • Otis on Watch 009.jpg
    Otis on Watch 009.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 62
He's starting to come into himself as he gets more comfortable here. Doing better than I expected at learning. Did some more "people socialization" today at the pet store and at home and he did really well. He wanted to play last night and I 'bout fell out of my chair laughing at his antics...he can be a real clown when the mood hits him:lol:

UiTTXLL.gif

I went on holiday. Whilst away I possibly discovered the most awesome thing ever. I now want a pack of sled dogs.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
6c9f2fbfce98bb942102054893204e01.jpg
ac5fddb487fe0fdeb4fd980894ff0396.jpg
7f867798d99ef5ad398fd5c4f3a6c0a1.jpg

I was in Andorra, in the Pyrenees. We won a drinking quiz and Rachael got 'mushing' as a prize. I thought it would be just a ride on the sled, but turned out you could actually run the dogs yourself, so I paid for us to go again after she'd had a go.

I got on really well with Julio the handler, an Argentinian who spends 6 months of the year here. He said the dogs responded really well to me and took us back to see a pile of puppies. The dogs are mostly Husky / Malamute / spanish hunting dog mix.

Fabulous feeling though, running the dogs fleet across the snow. We're looking at taking a holiday above the arctic circle, maybe Finland or Sweden, running a dog sled for 5 or six days, and hopefully seeing plenty of northern lights.

Sometime next year I might get myself a pair of Northern Innuit dogs and a sled for the beach.

There is a woman in our little rec climbing group who worked for a couple of years as a musher on Svalbard, taking tourists on sled trips.
Good chance of seeing polar bear, there.

Awesome, Ed.

There are a couple of sled dog trainers hereabouts. They like to train teams on the local National Forest back roads. Most of the year, the dogs pull an ATV in neutral, with the driver on board. Fun to see, and visit with on occasion, in the course of my regular rounds, back before retirement.

Back