The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 292K
It is a very tough thing to do, but you know when it is time. So sad to see them go.

Burn, have you considered a new dog? You and Mel would offer the world to a new pup.

Well, hopefully there will be time to get the injection from the vet. He said he would send me home with a general anesthetic and the lethal injection so I can do it where she is comfortable. She hates the vet of course.

As much as I hate to think about it, if I had no other options, I would shoot her. I had an agreement with a friend that has an old dog as well. We decided that we would shoot each others dog if there was no other option. I have decided against that plan, I could not let someone else do it.

That is a great picture, Jim.
Is that your daughter?

Ask your vet for some heavy tranquilizing pills .
Then when she is asleep, it is not that hard to shoot her.
I have done that myself with my parents old dog that was panicky scared of vets.
We got the family together, took turns saying goodbye and petting her, then once the pills worked i carried her out back and shot her.

Important thing is to dig the hole first.
Reason I know is one of mine had to be put down suddenly and in the middle of winter.
Not easy digging a grave in frozen soil with your best friend laying next to it in a blanket.

I'm so lucky now that my vet is a very good friend. Since he comes to the house all the time and ploays with the dogs and they also comes with me to visit him, they don't seem to register him as a vet, but as a buddy with a weird needle fixation.
So the last two we have put down because they got too old, got the injection on the doggie couch in the kitchen from their good pal.
They didn't even notice anything was up till it was over.
Good way to go for a dog.

Today was a terrible day for us. Our chocolate lab of 12.5 years ran after a couple deer this morning and got hit by a car. The impact broke his back and instantly paralyzed him. The only option was to put him down. Our whole family is devastated. He was such a huge part of our lives and it is a void that is going to take a long time to fill.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Horrible news, beyond the pale. It probably does not help one iota, but know that I understand how much you are hurting...we have been there just a few months ago.

Though the trauma of the accident must make it even worse...that I must admit I cannot imagine. Greatest sympathies.

Sorry to hear that Mike. No easy way.
Thanks Jim, I really appreciate it.

My heart goes out to you and your family. Horrible news, beyond the pale. It probably does not help one iota, but know that I understand how much you are hurting...we have been there just a few months ago.

Though the trauma of the accident must make it even worse...that I must admit I cannot imagine. Greatest sympathies.

The death is something I can deal with in time. How it happened is something I am going to have a really hard time getting over. Such a great dog like him deserved better than that. The only thing that is making me feel better is that the vet assured us that there was no pain and it was over very quickly for him.

Not for me to say for your family and you, but my more than six decades of life, shared with quite a few fine canine partners tells me this...a quick and painless end for a wonderful dog at that age might well be a gift in admittedly very deep disguise.

I hope you can find peace, my friend. But I believe your dog has, in spades and forever.

Sorry for your loss Mike... Sad :(
Thank you Stephen.

Not for me to say for your family and you, but my more than six decades of life, shared with quite a few fine canine partners tells me this...a quick and painless end for a wonderful dog at that age might well be a gift in admittedly very deep disguise.

I hope you can find peace, my friend. But I believe your dog has, in spades and forever.

Thank you for that. And I completely agree with everything you said. It's tough now but I am sure it will get better. He will be missed but looking at all the great memories we had will help us get through this.

That is a great picture, Jim.
Is that your daughter?

Ask your vet for some heavy tranquilizing pills .
Then when she is asleep, it is not that hard to shoot her.
I have done that myself with my parents old dog that was panicky scared of vets.
We got the family together, took turns saying goodbye and petting her, then once the pills worked i carried her out back and shot her.

Important thing is to dig the hole first.
Reason I know is one of mine had to be put down suddenly and in the middle of winter.
Not easy digging a grave in frozen soil with your best friend laying next to it in a blanket.

I'm so lucky now that my vet is a very good friend. Since he comes to the house all the time and ploays with the dogs and they also comes with me to visit him, they don't seem to register him as a vet, but as a buddy with a weird needle fixation.
So the last two we have put down because they got too old, got the injection on the doggie couch in the kitchen from their good pal.
They didn't even notice anything was up till it was over.
Good way to go for a dog.

Thanks for the advice Stig. We had talked about an injection to sedate her but pills may be better. I have resorted to a frost bucket for the backhoe before, still no fun. The one on the right is my wife, if that is the one you were asking about! Hell of a thing, but after some quick math I figured out that I have spent a little over HALF of my life with the ole' Biscuit. Hell of a thing.

Trade you a few pics, when you are up to it...that one in the shades is a fine one.

Here ya go Burnham. First picture was the day we brought Luke home. I was only 15 years old!

Here is another when my parents were redoing their kitchen. He would do anything for a treat!

Thanks for that boss! Made me smile and tear up a little at the same time!

Great pics, Mike. Here ya go.

Like yours, first day home. Then funning around helping collect camp firewood.

Attachments

• scanner 128.jpg
    scanner 128.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 47
  • jasper_good stick.jpg
    jasper_good stick.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 47
German shepard, mostly, we think. Some Lab, as the Humane Society listed his mom as a Lab and he got the ears. Maybe some Airedale, since he sported face whiskers that didn't come from either a shepard or a Lab, but his coat was not like that breed at all.

A mix, for sure.

Attachments

• Dscn1695.jpg
    Dscn1695.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Dscn1741.jpg
    Dscn1741.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 41
Back