The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 292K
I've done that with Jasper a few times, too. Hunting season. Cabela's sells some specific for dogs, of course. Never have gotten one, keep thinking I should.

Rupert had one, with a bit of a belly cut-out, but he still pee'd on it a bit. I cut a striped safety shirt at the neck and with a generous belly cut-out, but it wasn't actually reflective, and not as handy. Good reflectivity is an important feature. Hunting vests are more geared daytime use, so choose wisely.

True. They have at least one model that has high reflectivity strips on it like my highway vest and coat.

That pic of Rupert really shows the effectiveness of that feature.

Rup's neck fur is a a bit long, so a reflective collar didn't help so much. Jasper is shorter haired, IIRC. If so, they're a good purchase that they'll have all the time. A vest can be a second line of defense.

I've thought of getting Rup a pink collar. When we're hiking people sometimes think, "oh no, a big black dog with a super waggy tail. How scary". When they saw him in his vest, nobody thought twice about him being scary.

I've noticed the same thing when Jasper is wearing his pannier pack...people we meet on the trail come right up and feel real comfortable around him; without it, many are more cautious.

Actually, I think Jdog's ruff would be about the same as Rupert's...hides the collar.

Try a red bandana...that worked for giving the "I'm friendly" message with my biggest dog, Josh went about 90 pounds and stood tall, too.

So, this is Riley......the latest addition to our family. We picked him up from a local rescue centre 3 days ago and so far so good. He was found abandoned on the street down in Kentucky and seems to be a cross between a Collie and some sort of terrier (maybe a Staffordshire bull terrier). Great dog, very sweet, loves my daughter and fully house trained! Sorted!

Attachments

• RILEY.jpg
    RILEY.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 21
Thanks, Burnham. We can't believe at how we lucked out with him.....he's a little skinny at the moment, but that will soon change believe me! We reckon he's not even a year old at the moment and only heard him bark for the first time about half an hour ago. He truly is a very cool lil dog....

Yeah, I noticed he looked a little lanky. He'll fill out with a good diet, and muscle up as he matures, too.

Just don't go overboard...a leaner dog is a much healthier dog...just like us :).

It always makes me happy to hear that an abandoned dog has found a happy home.

And that a family has found a good dog:)

It's hard to lose a friend. But having that friend in the first place outweighs the pain of the loss imo.

If it wasn't so, not many of us would have dogs!

It is such a bummer that you can't grow old together with your canine friends.

Good you got a pair. They're social animals. Our cats are happy together.

Rupert got to go to work with me for his first year or so, and as he got older, and we got our property with space, and no close neighbors for him to bother if he barked, he stayed home (more feasible). He gets to go to work now when its not too hot, and there's space. He really likes his dog buddies.

Sometimes when Rupert stays home during the day (everyday with State Parks) I'll take him for a little mile loop in the truck after work. He's a happy buddy with that.

Back