The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 290K
I just spent the last hour and a half walkin' her around her new turf on a Loooooong lead. She has me a bit stumped, she will barley get it tight, which means one of two things, she either was walked regularly on it OR she has spent her (short) lifetime on it. As the previous owner is in his seventies and lives on a farm I highly doubt the walkin' part.

Another odd thing was what was in her excrement, grain and straw. He called before I got home and told Marlene when her first heat was. She asked about what she had been fed, the reply was alarming, scraps from slaughtered beef. She is OK shape, not Great shape. I know who's done a LOT of growing in the first 8 months, and she probably weighs in at 70+ lbs, it isn't hard to find each rib and hip points! I am so glad I was able to bring her to a up-to-date environment!

She is out there now cruising her new home, the chocolate lab (Syd a 6 yr old that was going to be put down as a pup, because he had a bad front knee and an umbilical infection when he was born) are sortin' out who is Alpha. It is funny as Syd is the older, but she seems more mature. They had a couple small rumbles, with no declared winner.I am bettin' on Buffy being the Alpha, due to her genetics and the Crazy, puppy like attitude that labs have!

All is going well on the assimilation!:thumbup:

Cool. A raw food diet is excellent for dogs as long as it's well planned out imo. My guys are on the kibble though, it's just so easy.

Ok the food issue is figured out, move the dish away from the buildings and she eats! What is it about the buildings, my bet would be she was unceremoniously sushed away from them. Here is a pic I took this afternoon, Sqwishy and B should be happy, she has her dignity back!:)

DSCF1326 - Copy.JPG

When you have 3 dogs 2 birds, and too many cats to count, you don't really have your own life!:lol:

The way tree work isn't going maybe I should take up "Pet rehab"!

Just a secondhand Budgie and a cockatiel, they both have human trust issues! Their cages are never locked, and are free to fly around the house. They only take advantage of the situation for a minute or two a day!

The cockatiel is at strike 2 for the blood letting (Mine), anyone have a recipe better than the one I have??? I was told to ring its neck, gut it, put a rock inside, cook in the oven for 10 minutes @ 450. Throw the bird away and eat the rock!:D

Just a secondhand Budgie and a cockatiel, they both have human trust issues! Their cages are never locked, and are free to fly around the house. They only take advantage of the situation for a minute or two a day!

The cockatiel is at strike 2 for the blood letting (Mine), anyone have a recipe better than the one I have??? I was told to ring its neck, gut it, put a rock inside, cook in the oven for 10 minutes @ 450. Throw the bird away and eat the rock!:D

I had 2 Cockatoos, A Moulaccan and a Sulfur Crested. Just wait till one of those gets a hold of a finger. Wife was afraid of them so she gave them away.. Took me a few weeks to get past that.

A good shot of whiskey might help her attitude, if not, it may season the rock better!

We had a bunch of hand tame birds when I was growing up, just one, a grey cockatiel became a little bugger. He would ride your shoulder then when bored, bite your ear and hustle to a spot between the shoulder blades where you couldn't reach him, had to get someone to take him off. Don't remember how long that behaviour was tolerated before he wasn't around anymore.

I had possesion of a double yellow head parrot that just loved me. But wasn't too fond of my girlfriend and her friends. He was allowed to roam the apartment. He would crawl up someones arm, give them a little pinch. lookat them and then say owww, It was hilarious to watch.

So about a month ago, Ashly's 6.5 y/o dog Peanut had a seizure. He was fine afterward, brought him to the vet, blood test, blah blah. They say see what happens, possibly go on meds.

Today we were sitting in the chair, and heard tapping on the ground. There he is laying there, shaking, toes hitting the ground, all tensed up. Few minutes go by, Ashly's balling, then it stopped. Again, he is fine afterward.

Anyone else deal with seizures with there dog? What did you do? I really don't want her to get sucked into the meds, but it might just come to that.

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 16
I don't have any experience with seizure in pets, but in people at least, I understand that seizures at not really a big problem. It's mainly just results people thinking you're wierd. The brain dysfunctions that cause seizures don't usually result in any physical or mental problems. My niece has epilepsy, and the doc told us that the drugs would reduce the frequency and intensity of the seizures, but would not stop them altogether. Her parents chose to go without any meds for a while to see how bad it really was to live with, wanting meds to be the option of last resort. Just don't let your dog drive, and it should be alright I think.

We have had several dogs with seizures. The oldest was 14 and the vet said it was likely a brain tumor. He was put on meds to reduce the swelling, and it bought him about six months. Daisy was epileptic and was on meds for that, but would still have seizures if she was stressed out, like when the new cattle dog puppy came home for the first time. We just found out that the cattle dog is also epileptic. We were told that if you don't put them on the meds, the seizures become more frequent, and more intense. Limiting stress is important.

That first picture is just great.
Every child should have a dog!

brendon the meds for seisures work but it is no cure all and they grow tolerences to them. My sister is a vet tech and says stay away from them unless the seisures last longer than five min after that it can cause them issues.

When I was a teen I had a buddy that had a toy poodle that had seizures from time to time, they just cradled him and talked to him when he would tense up. I think they just referred to it as epilepsy and I dont think he was on any meds for it. Lived to a ripe old age, happy as a clam.

Brendon, that's a bummer that your girl gets upset when her dog has seizures. I can see how it would freak her out. :(

Back