The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

The Logging Thread

Tree09

Treehouser
They do pipelines like that too i guess, I've never seen it but I've had buddies that have done a bunch of it. I kinda wonder who came up with doing that for the first time, and how that conversation went. "Well you see, you're gonna hop on the hoe and drive it off this cliff, and Jimmy here is gonna hold you up with this winch... oh yeah, nothing to worry about, we'll be up here watching you making sure everything is cool" :lol:

Mellow

Treehouser
It worked on the Oregon Trail. It's been a while since I've played, but I seem to recall something about using ropes and winches to get your wagons up and down steep hills. :|:

pete mctree

Treehouser
In the UK hand cutters seem to be limited to small parcels , oversized edge trees and larger hardwoods. I could not make a living locally just cutting 🙁

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
Same here.
Which is why we'll be going to the southern island Møn for 2 months this summer.

cory

TreeHouser
The vid had good info re tethered logging. I've seen a lot of it in various online sources lately.

Burnham

Woods walker
It worked on the Oregon Trail. It's been a while since I've played, but I seem to recall something about using ropes and winches to get your wagons up and down steep hills. :|:
Laurel Hill, just west of Mt. Hood, on the section of the Oregon Trail Sam Barlow built to avoid running the rapids of the Columbia River. No winches there, only ropes wrapped around trees for friction to slow the descent, and only downhill , Brett.

No one went back east over the Trail, after making it to Oregon :).

Burnham

Woods walker
Truth. Can you imagine rolling your wagon, livestock, and family into the Willamette Valley, after traversing southern Idaho and eastern Oregon??? It would have looked like heaven...

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Heaven indeed, Burnam.

One local tribe, the Tolowa, referred to it as the "World". Not that long ago. 4-5 generations. Thousands of years of culture come to a quick and bitter end.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!